If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2015-10-05 22:47:32
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    One thing that always bugged me was that in an early episode of AKB0048, Kanata and her generationmate did this opener for an AKB concert, and they sang this relatively slow, unflashy, and emotionally dour song, with few splashy visual effects or costumes, and then the two of them were blamed for not "sparkling" or otherwise being ready for candidacy into the main group.

I guess one could argue that they were given this opener role because they weren't ready to become successors, and thus I'm confusing cause and effect, but considering the way the rest of the show's setting presentation works -- on a intuition basis -- this counterargument seems somewhat atypically roundabout.
  • edited 2015-10-05 23:37:13
    I remember nothing about AKB0048 and I don't plan to change that, but assuming it is like every other anime ever, being described as sparkly/shiny/any-property-of-light/actually-any-adjective-at-all is not really anything to do with what specifically you're doing or how you look doing it and everything to do with stuff like if you have the right amount of determination, are doing things for the right reasons, etc. which anime characters somehow just are able to tell about anyone by looking at them for some reason.

Or basically it's 100% an excuse for plot to happen or to create the illusion of character development without actually having to develop characters.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    In AKB0048 though you literally kirakira so much you create life.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    IJBM: Sword Art Online was not about sword arts and was made of Mary Sues. Although I guess I don't find most MMOs that interesting in the first place, so whatever. The premise of "trapped in a fantasy world that turns on its participants" isn't bad at all, but it's also a pretty dangerous premise. 

Also, I only ever watched cour 1, but it doesn't seem that the system was broken in the most obvious way this kind of anime could have accomplished. Like, if one villain knew kenjutsu in real life and unbound themselves from the systematic limitations of the game, rendering their fighting style hyper efficient compared to the aesthetically-inclined video game moves of everyone else. 

But I'm sure these criticisms surprise no-one coming from me and at least the Mary Sue thing has been done to death. 
  • edited 2015-10-22 00:51:43
    Madoka Magica is too wordy.  At times it feels a little like a setting design document hastily translated into a work.  There isn't enough showing and too much telling.

The shocking event in the early episodes (the one that leads to the change in ED) is (1) spoiled to hell and back by most people, and (2) doesn't have any time for the audience to get comfortable with the way the setting worked before being jolted out of that comfort by the shocker.  As such, it depends on the audience having preconceived notions of "this is how the story 'should' work", so it basically depends on the audience stereotyping the setting as being optimistic magical girl stuff -- and also not being too genre savvy about it either.  Rather than actually giving the audience a period of time during which to get used to the setting and understand it organically from their fresh observations (instead of relying on tropes).

Edit: Yeah I probably posted about this before at some point.  I just thought about it again in the shower.
  • edited 2015-10-22 01:40:13
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Madoka Magica is too wordy.

Suddenly, the fundamental reason I loved that show so much is rendered absolutely clear. :B
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    Hitomi always breaks my suspension of disbelief
  • edited 2015-10-23 10:20:40
    As such, it depends on the audience having preconceived notions of "this is how the story 'should' work", so it basically depends on the audience stereotyping the setting as being optimistic magical girl stuff -- and also not being too genre savvy about it either.  

That's literally how it was for the characters too. And guess what, the kind of people who would be watching generally do have preconceived notions on some level.

and also not being too genre savvy about it either.

This, however you're saying it as if anybody who saw everything coming didn't enjoy it.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    The first season of Nanoha has a decent dub.

Nanoha A's, on the other hand...well, I'm having some trouble bringing myself to enjoying it.
    Suddenly, I am struck by the curiosity to watch a comedy anime series that primarily makes use of an eastern-European sense of humor.

Sumire is beyond cute.

Also both seasons of Aikatsu! where Akari is protagonist Sumire is first to have a song that isn't a) from the OP/ED single or b) from the last season.
    Which one's Sumire?
  • Purple hair.
  • edited 2015-11-21 02:39:32
    She is indeed quite cute.

----

To be frank, it's possible that the most important or co-inportant reason I don't like the anime club here at school may simply be the fact that it is LOUD.

They just finished watching Pokémon 2000, and then the next thing they show is one parodical MLG dank memes 420 doritos etc. thing, which is okay by itself but it was just on WAY TOO LOUD.
    Is it just me or is "blue haired kid who wears a transfer school uniform (and is sometimes the only character who bothers to wear a uniform)" a thing now?
  • ☭Unstoppable Sex Goddess☭
    The English roars of the titans are terrible.
    I look at the picture on Hummingbird for the Fate/kaleid liner
    Prisma☆Illya 2wei! OVA and I'm like "Ooh, she looks like a cool
    character!" but then I remind myself that it's Prisma Illya so of course
    it's going to be a load of crap.
  • Just watch the actual Fate/ shows.
  • edited 2015-11-30 06:22:22
    [Angel Beats]

She was the most irritating character in the show.

Why am I crying? ;_;
  • because you're wrong and she is the best character
    K RETURN OF KINGS 13

Okay K, you ended up still not making sense but...

I guess it was fun?

Also Adolf really has just been using some unsuspecting kid's body for what is approaching two years even though his perfectly functioning body was sitting around in wherever?
  • edited 2016-01-03 14:24:37
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    Let's talk about next cour!

My plate's not so full next cour, what will school back on the table for a long while.

Continuing:

• Aikatsu! Akari Generation 2
    • Future Card Buddyfight Hundred
    Starting:
    • Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation
    • Akagami no Shirayuki-hime 2nd Season

Shorts:

• Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note
    • Sekkou Boys
    Subs when ;-; :
    • PriPara 2

There's a Phantasy Star anime series? Sweet!
  • >Why am I crying? ;_;

Because you're watching the most blatantly and transparently emotionally manipulative anime there is, the hallmark movie of animes, if you will.

You see the hastily delivered sob stories coming from a mile away, you know exactly when the carefully crafted sad music will start to play, and it still affects you because the guy who made this series has spent years crafting his heartstring tugging.

On the plus side, TK was kind of funny. 
    There's a Phantasy Star anime series? Sweet!
    haha no
    the most blatantly and transparently emotionally manipulative anime there is
    i don't remember GMH watching AnoHana

Jokes aside, was Charlotte anywhere near the same level?
  • I have been watching this '90s shonen thing and the parts when they do the faces in a look that's not quite "generic '90s shonen" are kind of nice.
    episode 9episode 11
    episode 14
    I am mostly posting this because I bothered to make montages.

Noimporta wrote: »
    >Why am I crying? ;_;

Because you're watching the most blatantly and transparently emotionally manipulative anime there is, the hallmark movie of animes, if you will.

You see the hastily delivered sob stories coming from a mile away, you know exactly when the carefully crafted sad music will start to play, and it still affects you because the guy who made this series has spent years crafting his heartstring tugging.

On the plus side, TK was kind of funny.

This is making me want to post a mutation of the Katanas Are Underpowered In d20 meme.
  • Kurei says stuff
    This sure is a shonen anime.
  • Got to the end of the Recca anime. ^ still applies.
    Spoiler:
    Recca episode 42