If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2015-04-09 09:14:38
    I mean I actually did like Ore Monogatari's first episode. It actually was funny and I liked the art and stuff and for the most part MC is actually really great. It's just like, it has the whole relationship-starts-because-MC-saved-girl thing and the girl is just like... small and constantly blushing and likes baking. Like really? They actually bother making MC not totally generic (his friend is not super interesting though but that's less important) but then the heroine is just comparatively really standard to the point of being generic, and that kind of makes me not really excited about their eventual romance, y'know? I don't know if you read or watched Bakuman, but it had a similar sort of problem. It was really funny and the MCs were really likable and fun, but the main love interest girl and the entire romance subplot with her was so boring it almost felt like it could have been a parody of generic manga romances but I don't think it actually was. Problem with OreMono compared to Bakuman though is that OreMono is entirely about the romance plot whereas Bakuman at least had the whole manga thing as it's main plot.

EDIT: Okay so Kekkai Sensen is cool. Hopefully it ends up being good though too. Or maybe it ends up being like Hamatora? I'd like that as well. Either way, watching for sure. Though I gotta say, I should really not be able to predict "girl is blind" based on the fact that she's in a wheelchair. I don't know why every anime like this has to keep copying Code Geass even in ways like that but there you go.
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    bones plus Hamatora would surely be one of my favorite things but I'm pretty sure I'd feel cheated at the end if it ended up going that way. I actually thought MC's sister was dead and also MC's sister having special eyes in the key visual made me think it'd end up being BlazBlue (but with green eyes).

I felt like while I liked the pacing of the episode (it flowed pretty well, enough for me to not notice that it had basically been four episodes until after thinking about it for a bit) the backstory was just like... sudden instead of being like being kept until later.

Oh yeah Fate/[UBW] is back, things happened, OP is so Aimer it hurts.
    Aikatsu! Akari Generation started it's third cour today, the episode focused on Kurosawa Rin who is Akari's Sakura (but nobody was Akari's Ichigo in the non-literal sense so I guess either she was never on the show considering that Akari's season starts a bit into the year or something). Madoka was also in it which was really distracting but in the end it really managed to pull of making Rin come off nicely and I'm looking forward to having her in the show more. Rin is also going to be closely linked to Johnny and I like that they remembered both him and Gakuen Mother were a thing. Also new outfits for them yay.

Naoto is also officially a teacher at Starlight now (the only first year homeroom teacher because the entire two homerooms thing was an excuse for Akari and all of her friends not to be in the same class).

New OP is great but new ED really blew both the other second half EDs (Hirari/Hitori/Kirari and Precious) out of the water. Also is "The protagonist and her friends asleep at the end" a tradition in the second half EDs now?

Also I know they basically just did the "Someone is a better dancer than the other" thing from earlier with Akari and Hinaki with Rin and Madoka but I still cannot get over the dedication the CG animators have with the detail.

Then I started Houkago no Pleiades which was basically amazing. The first half was pretty close to the ONAs but the second half I'm pretty sure was mostly new. The weird part was that halfway through I'd basically said "Bye bye Kekkai Sensen" and then the CG showed up and it was like... worse than Strike Witches CG I'm sure but the way it was intergrated into the rest of the animation actually made it almost unnoticeable if you were really just into it. Unlike Kekkai Sensen, I'm actually looking forward to the goings on already but I don't think I need to drop either so yay.

The OP was probably the best OP of this cour and the music was great all round. I also was really amazed by all the backgrounds and general bits of animation so I am pretty psyched about it.

I'm probably not going to watch OreMono now that I've decided on watching Pleiades. It really reminded me of why I didn't finish YuYuYu last year; mahou shoujo should be fun and the dialogue should be inescapably engaging (Maybe only one of these criteria needs to be filled at a time, considering how much I liked ViviOpe).
  • Re-kan is sort of kind of watchable? But I'm not really sure what the point would be since comedy about cute girls is done better this season by a bunch of shows and "girl can see spirits" is done better by Kyoukai no Rinne and generally Re-kan seems unremarkable and sort of boring. I did think the "Be sure to watch it with everyone behind your back and over your head!" end-of-next-episode-preview thing was cute though, if nothing else.

Punch Line is a lot better than I expected considering pantyshots are like half the premise of the show (It's "Punch Line" because "Panchirain" contains "Panchira" as in pantyshots, I guess). It was actually funny, action was good, and it's MAPPA so it had really nice animation. Also good music. So hey maybe I'll actually keep watching it.

Etotama is the most anime thing. Hiro Shimono is the MC so I guess I have to keep watching it no matter what, but if nothing else I like the fight scenes a lot. CG works well since they're deliberately not trying to make it look like the 2D animation.

Plastic Memories sure is emotionally manipulative. But it's not as bad as I was sort of worried it'd be (although MC claiming he fell in love with robot girl literally the instant he met her just because she was crying is pretty creepy... >.>). First episode plot was really really really basic and relies way too heavily on just having sad music and characters crying to make it seem like it is actually emotionally engaging but it's always possible the episode plots will improve in the future (and I'd imagine they will). That said, the whole "robots die and it's sad" thing just makes me want to finish watching Casshern Sins, which is probably not the intent.
  • edited 2015-04-10 09:53:49
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    I finally decided on what I'm watching this season:

• Aikatsu! Akari Generation
    • PriPara 2
    • Future Card Buddyfight Hundred
    • Houkago no Pleiades
    • UtaPri Revolutions
    • Kekkai Sensen

SHOW BY ROCK!! I realized was probably not going to be as fun as I think because all the fun characters aside from Cyan are the guys and they're side-characters.

Fate/[UBW] I'll watch once the season is over because I am still a student who has to study.

• edited 2015-04-12 15:17:11
    Destined for infinity or a miracle...
    I finally decided on what I'm watching this season:

Fate/[UBW] I'll watch once the season is over because I am still a student who has to study.

I suddenly forgot how to juggle anime and studies last school year. I always seemed to be constantly tired when I get home, or had a ton of stuff to do. >_> Consequently, I'd only pick one or two shows that I'd watch in 3 or 4 episode bursts. Even then I wouldn't be able to manage that at times.

Is Highschool DxD actually any good? I've read an embarrassing number of the light novels (until Xenovia comes in) and I can't really see any of the charm past the nipple-studded haze of Issei's constant horndog mindset. (These ARE lightnovels though, so maybe I should be adjusting my criteria accordingly.) I watched season 1 and a bit of season 2 of the show as well, but unless I'm missing anything big, it's nothing more than a powerlevel show saturated with unhealthy amounts of fanservice. The girls also haven't been that interesting since they seem to all act the same when they "fall in love" with Issei.

They're nice to look at though, when their breasts aren't being shoved at my face. >_> What's the big fuss about the show? Is it the lack of censoring? Is that it?
    Oh my gosh thank you for posting.

First to market syndrome. It was the first, therefore it got all the fans of the genre on board regardless of the content. Also I don't really like the artstyle but that's just me.

Does any "ECHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" show even have censoring anymore?

Anyways watched more Fate/[UBW] because >focus, it's getting really good and I wish I didn't promise to not watch more until much later.

Kekkai Sensen's second episode really made it's tone evident (not serious at all). This made any instances of any other tone really jarring (The part where Leonard considers how useful he actually is).

Future Card Buddyfight Hundred sure started, Jenny Shima (who I'm assuming did the localized version of the OP) had a really hard time keeping up with Nanjo Yoshino's style in the OP but it was a good enough dub. They finally dubbed a male version OP/ED too which is nice. The OP referenced the first OP in a fun way too. I do actually like that it's gone with a full-on involvement of the worlds this season because the worlds are quite interesting. First episode was good and funny.

I am kind of kicking myself for being surprised that aside from Gao, Tatsuya and Zania are the MCs but fairly enough before the Gaen Cup the show really cycled through the characters (though if I look back now the SenCad arc was also them plus Kazane and Genma who no matter how much I want would never, ever be MCs). I'm really really glad Tatsuya is an MC but also that the main deck for now is the Kung-Fu Dragons deck.

Now I just have to wait two months for Tasuku to show up again.

Oh yeah odd Aikatsu! observation; I wonder how many Tribe Cool Crew frames they stole for Rin's dance sequences because her character design changes almost completely when she dances in 2D.
  • edited 2015-04-12 15:30:48
    I recall To Love Ru Darkness having those white patches of light for censoring, and that aired at roughly the same time as the first season if I remember correctly.

By "fans of that genre", are we talking about battle harems? Though they're not really jumps up in in quality, I always preferred Sekirei and HOTD (if it counts) over DxD and its plot. DxD's story is an unending loop of story arcs which boil down to Issei getting by due to sheer grit and determination. Also, he wins a girl everytime. Shocking, I know.

People eat this all up.

I'm not even sure over what's the worse offender between SAO and DxD.

Unrelated. Hakomari's seventh and final volume got a release date! It's really weird at this point. The arcade game box really messed up the dynamic between the characters. Hoping for a happy ending for Maria. It'll probably be out and translated around August.
    Ecchi battle harems, because battle harems are an entirely different thing that funnily enough still involves massive amounts of fanservice (Ecchi battle harems being like DxD, Estetica, Sekirei and the other kind being like Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance and Seiken Tsukai no World Break).

Also battle harems of any sort are always so fun at the start and then all your favorite girls get sidelined ;-;

I also heard that Issei was initially not supposed to be a pervert but the editor asked for him to be turned into one, so I wonder how that affected the overall storytelling.

SAO is always worse unless Guilty Crown is involved, no questions.

Since we're discussing LNs already, anybody watching DanMachi? I was tempted by the Wakeshima Kanon ED but was able to resist... for now.
  • Destined for infinity or a miracle...
    I've read way more SAO than I'm comfortable to admit. Nothing to note except for the advent of Blonde Kirito which was in the last translated volume when I binge read it out of morbid curiosity. Considering that was over three years ago, I wonder how much worse it could've gotten. I didn't notice how bad Guilty Crown since I couldn't keep my eyes open for more than half of it. At least the OP was good right? :^)

I haven't heard much of DanMachi apart from Hestia who's become really popular over at pixix almost overnight. Wakeshima Kanon huh? Might have to check it out. Killy Killy Joker was unreasonably catchy. I'm not so familiar with much of her music outside of that though.

• edited 2015-04-13 15:39:47
    Watched more SHOW BY ROCK!! because seriously I will never do anything I'm meant to, the second episode was much cuter and the OP is really, really great but also really cute which I think clashes with the atmosphere and Plasmagica's character designs actually. I think I like Cyan but I'm not sure yet, I do really like all the guys though mostly because I feel like Plasmagica have taken a step aside for them to show off (Trichronika in episode one and SHINGANCRIMSONZ in episode two).

I'd like to think episode three would be when of Plasmagica would start to shine but it's already confirmed to be about some other loli band who are really quite cute but like... the protagonists, y'know?

Since I will never ever be rid of the desire to watch people play card games, started Battle Spirits Burning Soul, which is actually pretty fun. Well, the cardgame is, because that's really all they've done for the entire show in the two episodes I've watched. I like the little smart girl who hangs out with the protagonist and everybody is very amicable to each other so far (even the delinquent Sengoku Lord boy).

I also have no idea what kind of setting this is, because there are clearly Sengoku lords and the blue girl (who is a literal blue girl since she uses a blue deck, hello where you got your elements from WIXOSS) is a pirate warrior girl, but they are all possibly under fifteen and like... it's the modern world with high speed trains (and special transforming flying vehicles for cardgame players) and such.

The ED is by Sasaki Sayaka who is literally the best Engrish person right now (or the non-ecchi Harada Hitomi if you want) and it has cute, terrible dancing.

Also a while ago I watched Vampire Holmes which apparently sometimes has actual animation but I do not believe it because it seriously does not.
  • edited 2015-04-21 13:24:58

An actual new key visual for PriPara 2. Mikan, Fuwari and Aroma are probably going to be a unit now  which is great but I'm surprised that Laala is so off-centre. I hope Fuwari's brand ends up just being "dresses that look like giant flowers".

Also 9 person raibu?

So aside from this making me wonder if this is actually a thing, Jewelpet Magical Change was the best because it had Jewelpets, misono, Ninja Jewelpet Takagaki Ayahi, Phantom Thief Luea and a girl whose catchphrase is actually "Sil vous plait".

Also MC has the worst father and her raibaru is trying to steal her Onii-chan which is just really fun.
  • edited 2015-05-04 11:18:48
    Yahari Zoku's waaaaay more popular than Season 1 ever was. Maybe it's the new studio? In any case, I'm pretty satisfied with how things are turning out right now.  Apart from the inevitable exclusion of content, FEEL's been doing a good job of adapting the LN. The latest episode had me shaking in delight at the stuff they did. It's definitely been the peak of the show as of now. The drama's been taken a notch down for now, but knowing what's to come, that wasn't even the worst of yet. I'm excited.

I've been keeping an eye on Kekkai Sensen as well. I've watched the first two episodes and it seems interesting. I fell in love as soon as I heard Miyuki Sawashiro's voice in it, even if she looks like she's playing a minor recurring character. The ED's also playing a big part in my enjoyment of the show. The dancing and the song are just perfect. I can't wait until the full release of the whole song. Listen to the ED, you won't regret it.

Also tried getting back into Zetsuen no Tempest after kinda just forgetting about it at roughly the halfway point a few years ago. I tried watching episode 12, and though I did remember some of the key events that lead up to that point, I think I'm going to have to rewatch the whole thing to properly understand everything again. I forgot Nana Mizuki even had a character in the show. Heck, I forgot about all the characters outside of Hakaze and co. On the bright side, I'll be watching the BD version, it should be nicer...I think.
    Maybe it's the new studio?
    I think it's because the show gained popularity (as opposed to having a massive start that lost a bunch of the fandom to other works of a similar type, mostly because it's a very specific niche in itself). The LNs have been consistently selling in the top 10 IIRC.

I've watched the first two episodes and it seems interesting.
    I understand that it's a pretty great show, but so far I haven't bitten and I don't think I will. It's too comedic for seinen and not comedic enough to thrive on that, for me anyways.

Anyways finish Zetsuen no Tempest it's so good.

Anyways finish Zetsuen no Tempest it's so good.

Currently making my way through a rewatch. I forgot how soothing HanaKana's voice was. I haven't really been keeping track of her as much. Most of her shows recently really haven't been my type. Except Nisekoi, which is a guilty pleasure on my end. :>>

For seiyuu's, I've been obsessed with Touyama Nao for a long while now. Her voice is so endearing and peppy, I never get tired of it. Also a big fan of Miyuki Sawashiro's husky deep-ish voice and Haruka Tomatsu's sheer range. There are probably more that I'm familiar with, but I'm really fond of those three right now.
  • Maybe On Earth. Maybe In the Future.
    I feel like a complete ignorant idiot for how little I actually know about seiyuus and I can't help but think I'm missing something about it that manages to enrapture so many other people.

Since it was brought up, I'm pretty much convinced that Kekkai Sensen is the best of the season. There's just so much much care and energy put into like nearly every aspect of the show. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of that on the writing side was part of Nightow's influence, because even the anime original stuff feels like it was written by him, although I have to actually wonder how closely he's working with Bones on it this time though, given he was pretty heavily involved in Trigun's adaption. Either way, high hopes the rest of it turns out fantastically.
  • edited 2015-05-16 14:47:53
    I hope when I get back to Kekkai Sensen I can love it as much as you do (truth is I liked SHOW BY ROCK!! more but Kekkai Sensen seemed more bones so I stuck with it).

There definitely is detail and care, but not so much like characters who I personally go wild for.

As for seiyuus, basically everybody who knows stuff about seiyuu and is pretending not to be either naturally obsessive or a creep deep inside is a liar so congrats you are fairly more normal that the rest of us.

Speaking of seiyuus my favourites in order are probably:

• Kakihara Tetsuya (I am mostly obsessed with him his music but he also has really good range and great screen presence in his roles.)
    • Takagaki Ayahi (Her cuter roles are to die for and her more serious characters are amazing, also an actual musician with an interesting musical viewpoint).
    • Yonaga Tsubasa (Again he has nice range and his Aiki voice was really well suited to the character)
    • Nazuka Kaori (I kind of forgot she existed for a while after Eureka Seven AO but the way she played heroine in AMNESIA was quite enthralling)

Yes I only actually have four favourites, but quality over quantity. Other seiyuu I like:

• Serizawa Yuu (She hasn't been in like, much, but in PriPara she plays Mireille who is like two people in one and I can never get over either, also she has my second favorite singing voice in all of PriPara after Laala's seiyuu)
    • Kurosawa Tomoyo (Arisugawa. Otome.)
    Takagaki Ayahi rings a bell for Symphogear, and...SAO. Haha. The latter probably isn't the best representation of her career. :>>>

Since it was brought up, I'm pretty much convinced that Kekkai Sensen is the best of the season.
    Amen to that. I'm just enamored with the Slice of Life vibe of each episode. Sure there's a more serious plot slowly being unraveled as the show progresses, but I think its episodic feel is what's winning everyone over. Personally I enjoyed that Mushroom dude's episode and the chess episode. They just evoke the right emotions in a watcher.

Speaking of Kekkai Sensen, full ED's out. I enjoyed it for the most part....until that oddly out of place guitar solo near the end. Looking past that, it's a pretty good song. That glorious chorus is generously sprinkled throughout the track. Though, I enjoy the first verse the best.

https://vimeo.com/128070310
  • edited 2015-05-21 06:31:56
    Maybe On Earth. Maybe In the Future.
    Amen to that. I'm just enamored with the Slice of Life vibe of each episode. Sure there's a more serious plot slowly being unraveled as the show progresses, but I think its episodic feel is what's winning everyone over. Personally I enjoyed that Mushroom dude's episode and the chess episode. They just evoke the right emotions in a watcher.

Speaking of Kekkai Sensen, full ED's out. I enjoyed it for the most part....until that oddly out of place guitar solo near the end. Looking past that, it's a pretty good song. That glorious chorus is generously sprinkled throughout the track. Though, I enjoy the first verse the best.

Mushroom guy and the Fight club episodes are my current favorites for myself at the moment. Feel the writing are in those two episodes were just top-notch, and that speech in 7 about the whole why people are drawn to violence and that whole "Mighest Bareknuckle Brawler disorder" just clicked with me in such a way. And yeah, full version of the ED is pretty great aside from the guitar solo. Don't know why they felt the need to include it, although I'm noticing it less as I Iisten to it more.

Started watching Punchline today. Show's straight up weird, but I'm intrigued as to what they're going to do with it's concept of being basically Ghost Trick:The Anime and if it will live up to all the praise it's been getting from one of my friends.
  • edited 2015-06-08 15:05:41
    I started watching ani-Garo. Opening with a woman giving birth while getting burned to death is just the edgiest. Also, loads of Makai Priests and Knights get killed in the backstory by medieval soldiers with regular weapons. Not even the YamiTera cast were this pathetic.

But really the weirdest thing is that Mendoza is established as a major villain from the get-go.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I really like that show, although the first half was better paced than the second half. The midseason finale packed a lot of punch. The series finale couldn't punch harder.
  • I like that Leon seems so angry all the time, as that's basically how I predicted he would be and the most logical way to follow up after the previous leads.

Something disappointing about Mendoza being established as the main villain so early, though. Although based on how previous seasons went, I'm half-expecting some silly reveal like he was actually being manipulated by the gardener, who is also Alfonso's evil second cousin.
    Mendoza is the big bad, no other connections other than he met Leon's Grandpa when he was still GARO.
  • Spoiler:

Leon confirmed for worst golden knight ever. Not even Ryuga screwed up like this.
  • Maybe On Earth. Maybe In the Future.
    Leon fucking up so badly somehow endeared to his character super hard.  Maybe it's the whole "crawling out of the hole you made and becoming better than you were previously" thing.
    It was heartbreaking.
  • Well, finished ani-Garo.
    Spoiler:
    Somehow the villain's final powerup was more ridiculous than the hero's.
    At least it was better than Makai no Hana's plot.

Time for more Ryuga, I guess.
    oh my gosh guys next season is like tomorrow

i promise i'll write one of those things nobody reads like soon
  • edited 2015-06-27 19:53:19
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.
    I rather liked that ending,

UNLIMITED BUDGET WORKS.