If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• But then at least one of us would have to rewatch it to properly remind ourselves why we all hate it so much!

That's too high a price.

• I suspect that even if someone liked the movie when it came out, it probably aged very badly. The whole thing was its CG, which in 2014 kind of just looks like a bad video game FMV.

• edited 2014-06-25 11:50:40
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I first watched FFtSW in about 2005 or so.  I wasn't particularly amazed by the animation, though I guess it was nice.

I was actually surprised I enjoyed the story, since I'd heard pretty mixed reviews of it.  Unfortunately, I don't remember too many details of it, so I really want to watch it again to confirm that I actually did enjoy it.  I had watched a friend's DVD back then but I finally picked up a DVD of it for myself a year and half ago.

• Well, Chaika was the first show of the season for me that didn't end totally disappointingly (If you don't count the end of the Chimera Ant arc of HxH).

Roll on next season.

• Out of the big three, Naruto is still the largest trainwreck, but dammit if today's chapter didn't have me lolling out loud. 

• There is love everywhere, I already know

I enjoyed Spring this year more than last, Kamigami no Asobi was extremely enjoyable. I still like UtaPri 2000% (last year) more but that had HEAVENS and POISON KISS and that was hard to compete with, it's just that last Spring was particularly frustrating.

Honestly, aside from starting Ping Pong and finishing WIXOSS I basically repeated myself this year. Picked up and dropped and LN show (Oregairu, Black Bullet) and only really loved a bishounen show (UtaPri, KamiAso).

Summer is going to be different I guess, considering how much I'm actually planning to watch.

So Spring 2.0:

Starting:

• PriPara

• Bakumatsu Rock

Continuing:

• Aikatsu!

• Future Card Buddyfight

• Lady Jewelpet

• Cardfight!! Vanguard Legion Mate-hen

• Captain Earth

Considering:

• Shounen Hollywood: Holly Stage for 49

I didn't watch Free! because the muscles creeped me out but I'm yet to decide on whether the artstyle for Shounen Hollywood is enough to get me to not watch it.

• Destined for infinity or a miracle...

Dropped Oregairu? It's making history tho. Season 2 from brains base? Daaamn.

Then again, it could be another studio.

• edited 2014-06-27 23:58:58

Natsume Yuujinchou had a second season (and a third and fourth) and was a Brain's Base show.

I don't actually remember why 14w dropped Oregairu but I dropped it partly because MC's everyone-else-except-me-sucks attitude was pretty annoying and it seemed like we're expected to agree with him (even if character development also probably happens eventually). Though mostly it was because I just dropped everything else from then too.  Aku no Hana and Namiuchigiwa no Muromi-san were the only shows that season I finished.

• Oregairu was half great and half Nanana Collection awful (And bad for exactly the same reasons). Everything that didn't concentrate on the main three was completely phoned in. The half episode with the chuuni guy was like nails on the blackboard of my skull.

The MC was pretty great though. I was kind of unsure about him until the camp arc, but that and the final arc sold me on him hard. I never really got 'Everyone else except me sucks' from him, mostly because he spent at least half his time self loathing.

I finished One Week Friends. I liked the first half better. I also finished Usagis and it was a pretty solid moe slice of life show with above average humour, production values and characters. Kind of like Kinmoza but with no Karen so not as good.

• edited 2014-06-28 02:24:59

What exactly is awful about Nanana Collection?

Not that I think it's great or anything, and actually as I was trying to type up this post I basically came up with a zillion different reasons why it's not so good, but I just don't know what specific reasons you don't like it for, and I at least enjoyed the show for a while (though I pretty quickly stopped liking it about halfway through, but such is life).

Isshuukan Friends has the problem of being a show about a girl who has to struggle with the fact that she constantly is losing her memories, yet it actually never addresses this in any way and is just about some boy angsting about his crush on her. Early in the series, we at least get some stuff about how Hase is being selfish and making their friendship all about what he wants, etc., but for some reason the instant Saki shows up that aspect of the show completely disappears, even though Hase doesn't actually start acting any differently. And in any case it's still kind of boring in comparison to what it seems like the show should really be about, which is Kaori's memory loss.

We never actually find out what it's like for her to have to read her diary every week and have no idea who all these people are and just have to sort of trust that they're good people who she should be friends with and so on, because it very quickly gets handwaved as "she's starting to remember me!" and the show kind of just turns into a boring, typical romance/drama except with weirdly downplayed romance. It's too bad too because it has a great atmosphere, and the two secondary characters are a lot of fun, but overall it was pretty disappointing to me.

Gochiusa actually was probably good but I had a hard time enjoying it as much as I wanted to. Fanservice seemed more present than in Kinmoza, GJ-bu, K-ON!, etc. and for the kind of show it is fanservice kind of hurts the atmosphere and immersion and so on. Character dynamics were good though, setting was really cute, jokes were sometimes good, Chino is adorable.

• edited 2014-06-28 06:19:11
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Everything that didn't concentrate on the main three was completely phoned in. The half episode with the chuuni guy was like nails on the blackboard of my skull.

I liked chuuni guy, though I always like hilariously pragmatic male characters.

I feel like Oregairu had two major problems:

• It was actually going to bother with having those popular kids be straw villains, not that I know if it did or not but Episode 3 definitely had that.

• The show was introducing a whole bunch of characters that it didn't actually care about. Chuuni guy showed up in episode 2 and then didn't have him in episode 3. Episode 3 was even worse because trap kid, who was literally the best thing, having to play not even second or third fiddle but probably like ninth which is super odd considering that was supposed to be his introduction episode.

Also I watched it around the same time I watched Gargantia's fourth episode which was just super-pointless and so I was frustrated with Spring at the time.

It's making history tho.

so did GeneiTaiyou

Also I have no idea why I dislike last year's Spring more than Summer since Summer had both GeneiTaiyou and Valvrave.

Then again, Kinmosa, CROWDS, etc.

• edited 2014-06-28 08:32:15
    lah laah lah

Literally a collection of light novel tropes and stock characters strung together.

Isshuukan Friends has the problem of being a show about a girl who has to struggle with the fact that she constantly is losing her memories, yet it actually never addresses this in any way and is just about some boy angsting about his crush on her.

I like how it was more about him developing as a character though because...

We never actually find out what it's like for her to have to read her diary every week and have no idea who all these people are and just have to sort of trust that they're good people who she should be friends with and so on, because it very quickly gets handwaved as "she's starting to remember me!" and the show kind of just turns into a boring, typical romance/drama except with weirdly downplayed romance.

I've seen that show before

but for some reason the instant Saki shows up that aspect of the show completely disappears, even though Hase doesn't actually start acting any differently

Also I'd argue against that. It's subtle, but he does start changing. I certainly enjoyed the first half more than he second though.

It was actually going to bother with having those popular kids be straw villains, not that I know if it did or not but Episode 3 definitely had that.

Funny you should mention that, because that's exactly what didn't happen. 8man is like Tomoko. His misfortune is a product of his own twisted personality. (See: His speech about Yui. We're supposed to be knowing where he comes from but having the self awareness to not agree with him.)

The show was introducing a whole bunch of characters that it didn't actually care about. Chuuni guy showed up in episode 2 and then didn't have him in episode 3. Episode 3 was even worse because trap kid, who was literally the best thing, having to play not even second or third fiddle but probably like ninth which is super odd considering that was supposed to be his introduction episode.

This was actually a problem and it gets even worse for a while. I think they managed nine novels in twelve episodes. The tall white haired delinquent girl (Who wasn't even a delinquent and where have we heard that before?) got half an episode and only showed up again to sew clothes  (Light Novel character depth™!), while the otoko no ko was in just about every episode and the only other character 8man found it worth dealing with.

• Also it feels kind of embarrassing to say this after university, but Oregairu had a 'This was my life at school' moment.

I think they managed nine novels in twelve episodes.

I remember thinking that episode 1 and the first half of 2 could be one novel but now the idea seems ridiculous to me.

Though from a certain sense it'd have been brilliant to turn a series of novels into an episodic story, a very artistic sense.

The thing is, what I loved about Oregairu was the first episode. The talkyness between the two main protagonists (for that episode) and Yui just kind of standing on the side and playing along. I just had a whole bunch of expectations after that and obviously the show didn't go that way. Dropping it was probably mostly my own fault.

• edited 2014-06-28 09:36:12
    Destined for infinity or a miracle...

I still believe Oregairu's great as an LN. More dialogue, fresh characters, really home-y at times. The recent developments got Hachiman to question his ways, which I think was refreshing. It helps that it's also translated regularly....

I wouldn't say it was a collecion of light novel tropes. They made that very clear by episode 3. That's where the division started though. Many really liked how the treasure hunting aspect was turning out. It was fresh, entertaining, and well thought of. Then the treasure hunting all but disappeared and became...well. I don't think it was TERRIBLE by any stretch, it just didn't follow up on what the first few episodes promised.

Literally a collection of light novel tropes and stock characters strung together.

How far'd you watch? It wasn't that generic I think.

• ^ Based on a post on another forum, Jaoooo watched it until the end.

so did GeneiTaiyou

That made history? I barely ever see it brought up.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

All I know about GeneiTaiyou is that multiple sources have told me it sucks.

• Yeah I finished it. I tend to finish whatever I start with a handful of exceptions.

Maybe I'm being unfair on Nanana, but it felt like a really good potential and good characters in Nanana and Tensai strangled by an awful supporting cast whose motivations never made sense, a painfully self aware and MYSTERIOUS mc and irrelevant subplots. The otoko no ko in particular made me really frustrated because it was maybe the most obvious attempt of its kind at pandering that I've seen.

Even Hideyoshi had a place in the narrative and his twin sister to bounce of.

• edited 2014-06-28 11:03:27

All I know about GeneiTaiyou is that multiple sources have told me it sucks.

It's a post-Madoka male-oriented magical girl series, and from what I watched of it, that seems to be pretty much the extent of the thought that went into making it. There were a bunch of girls and they used magic and they cried sometimes and MYSTERIOUS stuff happened and that's about it.

It also aired in the same season as Fantasista Doll and Prisma Illya so it was kind of just a really bad time for magical girls all around.

• edited 2014-06-28 11:21:57
    Destined for infinity or a miracle...

a painfully self aware and MYSTERIOUS mc and irrelevant subplots

I'll agree with that one. It came tumbling down at around episode 3 if I remember correctly. Unreliable narration is one thing, but this was pushing it.

Jaooooo wrote:

Yeah I finished it. I tend to finish whatever I startwith a handful of exceptions.

Sent you a friend req on MAL, btw.

• DYRE wrote:

It also aired in the same season as Fantasista Doll and Prisma Illya so it was kind of just a really bad time for magical girls all around.

B-but I liked Prism Illya.

I saw a page from a recent chapter not long after the anime had ended and it made me about as angry as I've ever gotten from something that isn't real though, so there is that.

urgh

Jaooooo wrote:

Yeah I finished it. I tend to finish whatever I startwith a handful of exceptions.

Sent you a friend req on MAL, btw.

yay~

Buddyfight this week was even better than last week. The battle at the end was actually really great, it was nice to see Tatsuya having actually gotten stronger and much more capable but still having his hang ups (he really, really has no idea when to stop or go).

The way Ryouga won the fight was great as well, especially with the combination of cards he had plus the massive boost Tatsuya accidentally gave him.

The new arc is going to be great in a completely Buddyfight way, it's nice to see Nanana being around even more because she's hilarious.

The new animation for the OP is leagues past the last one, and I'm glad they didn't change the song because PSYCHIC LOVER are the best. The new ED is fun and it's great how it shows all the different ways everybody got their buddies.

Overall; really excited about this Sengoku Academy arc.

Aikatsu! this week had an informative episode made possible by what most would call filler. Mizuki and Masquerade both got quite a bit of development and it was nice to see Soleil just... mulling things over.

WM performed Egao no Suncatcher again, which I would be tired of if it weren't my favoraite song from POP ASSORT. I just love all the little WM things that they incorporated into their performance again, even though the differences in the animation for the live were minimal. Mizuki's Summer Marine Trend Collection Coord looks wonderful but I've said this already I think.

Next week is Yurika's episode, which means it will be great and I can't wait.

• How does filler exist in a show like Aikatsu, or have I been misled by the first two episodes and it's not about cute idols doing cute idol things?

• edited 2014-06-28 11:58:22

Actually, it gets to be less cute girls doing cute things at a certain point and becomes more cute girls doing cute things but also story arc focused, sort of (the story arcs are pretty much all excuses to have characters team up in various ways, of course).  And then it reverts to episodic idol activities at the start of season 2 while they introduce a million more characters, but we've gotten back into a series of story arcs of some sort.

• Brynhildr's finale was laaaaaaaame

I kind of want to read the manga now...

• edited 2014-06-29 18:30:26

Brynhildr's ending exceeded all of my expectations. It was perfect. It was the stupidest 24 minutes of anime I've seen since, well... Hamatora's finale, probably, but it was definitely very stupid! The only thing that could have made it better is if it ended with a season 2 announcement.

But as awful as Brynhildr is, it's still my second favorite anime this season (second favorite to watch, not second best). All the maybe good anime ends up being only kind of good later on and then it's just a big disappointment (Ping Pong managed to actually be good all the way through, fortunately), so at least when Brynhildr starts off awful, it sticks with it and never gets even the slightest bit better, and it's too much fun to watch MC's struggles to use Google Maps, or to count how many times they can repeat the same exact bit of information to us verbatim so we don't forget, or see how literally every fanservice scene ends with an abrupt "Well, anyway, about that thing we were doing" non-segue because there's no way to actually tie it into the episode.

Manga is allegedly better than the anime. People say this all the time, of course, but I can't imagine that's not true here if only because I don't want to imagine that it could actually be worse, and so I kind of feel like reading the manga would just be sort of disappointing. Like, it'd probably still not actually be any good, but it also might come close to actually making sense or being about anything, and that would probably ruin the fun.

Also manga doesn't have hilarious metalcore music.

• edited 2014-06-30 00:52:37
    lah laah lah

0Ie9yY8.jpg

♫~Grisaia anime airing in fall~♫
    ♫~Grisaia anime airing in fall~♫

Watched more Captain Earth, not actually slow as far as I can see. I admit, I'm a sucker for a show falling into a pattern and that's what it's kind of done.

Earth Engine Ordinary is a handsome machine, I like it much more than I like Impacter.

Captain Earth also has a surprising amount of fanservice compared to other BONES mecha shows, but I guess if everybody is talking about libidos and such it should?

I'm surprised that Kiltgang have actually settled into the villain role, compared to guy who usually hangs out with PAC/Puck.

What I find interesting is that Teppei is on the outside again for being a normal human, I know he'll at the very least get an Ordinary machine soon though.

^^ what is Grisaia?