If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2014-06-23 13:08:38
    Destined for infinity or a miracle...

Best OP that's for sure. Even then, Perfect Slumbers and Happy Bite are creeping up on it in my list....

Girl though? :| Muh gurl Hanekawa be the best fo sho. Especially after all that CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT.hanekawa

It's not that exactly, it's just that my frustration with it just boiled over.

Last I felt that strongly was Coppelion. Just about had it by episode 4.

Also Yotsugi becomes best girl for a while.

Yay, Jaooooo-chan, peace peace.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Second Season is wonderful. Every arc has such a satisfying ending and they flesh out everyone and Tsubasa becomes so likeable.

stahp, i can't watch it all in one second

• I'm just amazed that with five episodes of POV, they saved a character that for me twenty six episodes and one very boring movie had been trying very hard to kill.

• Or to put it another way

How was Neko Black so bad and Neko White so good?

• Destined for infinity or a miracle...

I wouldn't say black was bad, but white was infinitely better. Mainly because Hanekawa's struggle to be true to herself was more clearly conveyed to the audience. We still see the old facade in white, but her thoughts regarding the world around her are revealed this time since it's in her PoV. She would never have become likable if we never got to be inside her head.

• I didn't like Black because it didn't add a single thing to the overall story. It was just more of Nisio spunking pseudophilosophy about my least favourite character.

Considering I did see it, it's hard to say, but I think I'd have gotten the same amount of enjoyment out of White without it.

The scenes in the rararagi household wouldn't have been quite as hnnng without the monologue methinks. Then again, I'm a sucker for those types of scenes, so who knows.

I actually avoided Nisio stuff for a while after Nise since it felt like he was trying to make something more than it what it really was, then I learned to enjoy the ride. I've come to respect him a bit.

For a while I just started liking Hanekawa because.... wait for it...

SheCutHerHairAndTookOffHerGlasses

This is the part where I ask if anyone else started liking her more because of this. Otherwise, I'd feel extremely shallow.

• This is the part where I ask if anyone else started liking her more because of this. Otherwise, I'd feel extremely shallow.

My immediate approval of her new look was marred a little by how incredibly creepy she was in Nise, but yeah. Speaking as someone who wears glasses, I dislike glasses girls in anime. The twin braids were always dumb too.

I also like Kanbaru better with longer hair too, but fuck Karen's character development. Hitagi I've learned to love.

Ditto for everything. I think Hitagi's become better only because her hair grew to about shoulder length. That borderline boycut was atrocious. It also took away Ponytail!Hitagi, so there's one more strike against it.
  • edited 2014-06-23 20:59:02

Nekomonogatari Kuro was kind of just a lot of something happens and then Ararararararararararagi says that the opposite thing is happening and we're supposed to think about how that can be until we come to some conclusion that makes the show seem super deep, when really Nisioisin himself probably never thought of an explanation and really it just doesn't make any sense.

But isn't that what the whole -Monogatari series is like?

While I liked Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari and sort of liked Nekomonogatari Kuro (haven't seen Second Season yet), in retrospect I feel like the plots were never really satisfying to me and I basically just liked them for the comedy and moe/service, but I wonder if that'll change when I get around to rewatching, since it's been a while since I watched Bakemonogatari. I wonder if that was even how I thought about them when I first watched them, but for whatever reason that's my feeling now.  In any case, I felt like Katanagatari was a lot better at coming across like it was actually about anything at all, as far as Nisioisin goes.

On the other hand, I have no idea what I'm even talking about.

• Well Katanagatari had pretty much a perfect ending, so yeah.

I've heard from unverified sources that he wrote Bakemono as a one off thing and then did the next three as kind of jokes cum writing practice. That's why Nise is so slick with ecchi and Kizu reads like shonen meets Twilight.

With Nekomono Shiro he started to take things a lot more seriously and definitely for the better.

I repeat: Every arc has a satisfying resolution that contributes towards the main plot as well as making every character likeable. Tsubasa, Nadeko... even Kaiki become great characters.

• Speaking of Nadeko; she goes from being a character with essentially no depth to becoming one of the best character studies of the last decade in anime.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

It's not that exactly, it's just that my frustration with it just boiled over.

Last I felt that strongly was Coppelion. Just about had it by episode 4.

I'm guessing you didn't like it?

• edited 2014-06-23 22:52:09

Nobody liked Coppelion so that'd hardly be unexpected.

• I liked the first episode. I was hype as fuck for the second episode.

And then the second episode aired...

• edited 2014-06-23 23:17:30
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

DYRE wrote:

Nobody liked Coppelion so that'd hardly be unexpected.

but i did... :.(

• a little muffled

When someone says "nobody liked ", it should just be assumed that the intended meaning is "nobody who isn't GMH liked ".

• Did GMH like

-The ending of the Usagi Drop manga?

-Master of the Martial Hearts?

-Dragonball GT?

-What DEEN did to F/SN?

-What DEEN would do to Tsukihime if the anime existed?

-The ending of Smile Precure?

-Cure Echo?

-The second op of either Aquarion series better than the first?

-The main girl of x winning? (Double points of Kawamori was involved with the series)

-Okada Mari?

-Shiba Tatsuya?

• edited 2014-06-24 04:09:08

I actually kind of don't dislike Shiba Tatsuya. Or at least, it's sort of hard to hate Mahouka or anything in it, considering its peers. Compared to NGNL and Black Bullet, it is high art. It's bad, but the glacial pacing and terrible handling of its themes (and complete lack of any theme after episode 7) and focus on explaining random setting details that nobody could possibly care about over actually telling a story are all sort of charming in a way.

What I'm really saying is Iwasaki Taku's music can get me to like absolutely anything.

Though really I do think the hate it gets is sort of undeserved (or at least it shouldn't be the most hated show that it seems to be). People criticize it for just being popular because SAO hype, etc., but really the hate it gets is mostly because of SAO hype too. There are way worse shows this season.

• I've not watched Black Bullet, but the first five episodes of Mahouka offended me. If I wanted fiction inspired by Ayn Rand, I'd go play Bioshock.

The speech at the end of episode 4 about false equality and how everyone who wants to be treated everyone is stupid and being used. That was nails on the blackboard stuff. Especially since it was coming from the most perfect person in the world who is always morally justified and correct. It's disgustingly conceited. Like the punchline of Railgun's Level Upper arc but a thousand times worse, because at least Misaka attempts to empathize with people like Saten.

• Miyuki is just as bad if not worse.

Creepiest girl of the year. She actually kills her brother in episode 3 on a whim and stands over him in her underwear for ????? knows how long.

Gross siblings. How does one fuck up two things I like (Yanderes and imoutos) that badly.

• edited 2014-06-24 05:18:44

Jaooooo wrote:

Did GMH like

(...)

That would require GMH to actually have seen any of those

Jaooooo wrote:

You mean J.C. staff.

• Wow

I always forget that

Maybe it's because pre Shana JC Staff was actually good.

• The speech at the end of episode 4 about false equality and how everyone who wants to be treated everyone is stupid and being used. 

Yeah, it's pretty bad. In fact, it kind of gets worse since it then goes on to say that inequality actually doesn't exist and explains that Mibu who was bullied for her lack of magic ability was actually literally brainwashed by terrorists. But it's because of that that I can at least entertain the idea (even if it's not really true, probably) that the author is just incompetent and has no idea what he's writing, because basically all of that is completely incompatible with the stated premise of the show. I mean, if nobody is actually treated worse for not being good at magic, then neither is Tatsuya.

Obviously, the truth is just that the author wants us to accept that Tatsuya is exceptional, and is the only person who deserves respect because he is better than everyone else by virtue of whatever it is that is supposed to make us like him, but I can always hope it's not that, and if nothing else the story seems to have completely abandoned any attempt at actual storytelling after that arc, and so along with it we get less bullshit as well (at least of that kind. there's plenty of just general bad-anime-ness).

I mean... it's really bad, for sure, and it's not like I didn't notice while I was watching it, but... I dunno. No Game No Life angered me a lot more than Mahouka could and did so very early in the season so maybe I just set my standards very low as a result.

Though I'm pretty sure most criticism of Mahouka just ends up being "MC is too perfect" and "the sister is annoying and doesn't do anything" which applies to like... a zillion other anime that people don't complain about as much (like NGNL!).

• edited 2014-06-24 06:10:43

But Milky Holmes is post-Shana!

• DYRE wrote:

But Milky Holmes is post-Shana!

I'm not disputing the fact that Sherlock is clearly the best magical girl parody ever

BUT

Twenty kind of ruined the show for me every time he appeared.

• edited 2014-06-24 06:52:05

Ehhhhhhhhhh...

well, yeah, understandable.

• earth maiden arjuna 04

And from there it just gets hilarious. Earth Maiden Arjuna sure is something.

• Well

If HunterxHunter 2011 ended with that episode it would probably be sitting on top of my favourites list right now.

There's another arc to go before it catches up with the manga, so we'll see how it goes. I can't imagine any ending being as majestic and beautiful as that though.

• edited 2014-06-25 03:21:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Jaooooo wrote:

Did GMH like

-The ending of the Usagi Drop manga?

-Master of the Martial Hearts?

-Dragonball GT?

-What DEEN did to F/SN?

-The ending of Smile Precure?

-Cure Echo?

-The second op of either Aquarion series better than the first?

-The main girl of x winning? (Double points of Kawamori was involved with the series)

-Okada Mari?

-Shiba Tatsuya?

What Naas said -- I haven't seen these so I can't say.

I do get a bit of fun mileage out of mentioning that I prefer the TV ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion over End of Evangelion. :P  I get less fun mileage out of mentioning that I am a big fan of Kiddy Grade, though, partly because it's more obscure and also isn't as controversial.

Might be a bit more apparent for @fourteenwings and @Naas_Human here since I've argued with them a few times about Symphogear and Lag-Rin -- for both of which I've seen the first but not the second seasons.  (I didn't enjoy the former that much despite liking the music, while the latter caught my fancy unexpectedly.)

Not to mention y'all (and I) are neglecting the times when I do agree with consensus -- on everything from Jinki Extend to Yukikaze to Eureka Seven to .hack//SIGN.  But in a way, they're less fun...

Come to think of it, now that I have a DVD of it, I should rewatch Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within to make sure I actually like it, before saying again that I do.