If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2014-07-05 10:12:54

Eh, I liked episode 10's fight better. For one thing, the pair in that had better chemistry despite not spending as much time with each other. (not counting the OVAs, though. The Zababa duo were great together there. Pic related)

deaaaath

Also,

Spoiler:
    guess I was less bothered by Hibiki's Odin cancer going into overdrive than Fine possibly returning so soon.

• Also it's not like ep 10 has *just* one good fight and song in it.

Also I'm at 524 anime so brb finding some ova to watch so I can celebrate more epeen.

• edited 2014-07-05 10:21:37
    Destined for infinity or a miracle...

I didn't bother counting after a 100. At that point I felt validated. Don't know -- and probably won't remember -- how many I've watched since then.

If we count movies and OVAs in the mix, then my obsession with Detective Conan's paid off.

• First episode of SAOII sure was twenty minutes of infodump. Also Asuna's now officially as divorced from reality as Kirito (As if there was any doubt)

Their faces when they won't actually be appearing in the series itself.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

So PriPara is the best.

• edited 2014-07-07 11:10:52
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Jaooooo wrote:

First episode of SAOII sure was twenty minutes of infodump. Also Asuna's now officially as divorced

Oh, did this actualy take a better turn?

...from reality as Kirito (As if there was any doubt)

...never mind.

Why hello there Inori Yuzuriha.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Naas_Human wrote:

Heaven's Blade

Pretty sure the song title in English would be "Abstaining Blade: Slash of Heavenly Wings".

I found one saying "Absolute Sword: Heaven Wing Rend".

Aikatsu! 1st Season is just... brilliant. I'd count the ways but it'd take forever.

Also it's so weird that the continuation of the series is based on how much they screwed up Starlight in the second half with the units and both highest ranked idols leaving.

Also Nao's episode ("He comes from a rich family!" "The headmistress is his sister!"). And that moment when VisKei band member is like "Emotions! Okay, backing away now..."

Kaede was definitely one of the brightest characters in the final cour, it's almost like she just happened to land upon the best scenes (and I guess some of them even if you didn't expect it were both the most brilliant and foreshadowing somehow). And her outfit in the Tri-Star beach photoshoot is the best (this needed to be mentioned).

I loved how a lot of the initial stuff with Ichigo is actually not put to rest until the end of the show (she never explicitly says "I came to Starlight to follow Mizuki." until late final cour and exactly what kind of idols she is only comes up at the very end.) It made it feel surprisingly natural, considering how... dense she can be.

Also Ichigo's first (non-Aoi fan) shows up a lot in fandom reaction shots, but the only fan who shows up in the final Moonlight Destiny performance is... Akari, in her Akari hairstyle.

As always, the Designer interaction was fun and actually relevant.

One thing: Doesn't actually feel like I finished Aikatsu! since there's a next episode preview for 2nd Season right after the ED.

And the final Also: did Codama Saori have visions of the final episode while writing CALENDAR GIRL?

• edited 2014-07-11 16:03:09

I finished JoJo Phantom Blood. A lot of the characterization felt basic, but I guess that's due to only being 9 episodes.

A few episodes into Battle Tendency and I am really liking Joseph, even his gimmicky way of predicting dialogue.

gif

(Probably the only image I have of him right now)

• Destined for infinity or a miracle...

^ We will agree that BLOODY STREAM is the superior OP right? Definitely up there with my favorites as well.

That said,  I finished Symphogear season 1. Enjoyed it throughly but had some gripes with it. I wasn't really a fan of how the ending panned out. The bait and switch lost its impact after the first time it was pulled out. I was okay with the overall structure of it though, even if it got really cheesy at parts. I liked the mould and the music.

On music, wish they didn't completely forget about Gekisou Gungir in favor of the other song. Not that I hate the song or anything, it was really catchy, I just really enjoyed both equally and would've liked to hear more Gungir with more battles. They also seemed to have a raging hard-on for Chris' song. I mean, really. That "zenbu zenbu zenbu" part made me cringe by the end. :^(

Some questions, Hibiki doesn't have her armed gear yet right? Or is it already those gauntlet things? If it's in season 2, just say so haha.

Summer shows I'm watching.

• Aikatsu! 2nd Season

• Future Card Buddyfight

• PriPara

• Lady Jewelpet

• Cardfight!! Vanguard Legion Mate-hen

• Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun

• Bakumatsu Rock

• LOVE STAGE!!

• Majimoji Rurumo

Pending:

• Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance

Yes I'm watching Rurumo on purpose. Remember when I had standards (I know the answer is no but humor me <_<).

That "zenbu zenbu zenbu" part made me cringe by the end.

That's the best part though.

Or is it already those gauntlet things? If it's in season 2, just say so haha.

It is, but you don't find out what they do until season 2.

• edited 2014-07-12 09:09:42

We will agree that BLOODY STREAM is the superior OP right? 

Nothing is better than JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJO!

That said,  I finished Symphogear season 1. Enjoyed it throughly but had some gripes with it. I wasn't really a fan of how the ending panned out. The bait and switch lost its impact after the first time it was pulled out. I was okay with the overall structure of it though, even if it got really cheesy at parts. I liked the mould and the music.

On music, wish they didn't completely forget about Gekisou Gungir in favor of the other song. Not that I hate the song or anything, it was really catchy, I just really enjoyed both equally and would've liked to hear more Gungir with more battles. They also seemed to have a raging hard-on for Chris' song. I mean, really. That "zenbu zenbu zenbu" part made me cringe by the end. :^(

Yeah, the show doesn't exactly shy away from being cheesy.

And I guess it's not just me that wasn't too keen on the ending.  I blamed it on it being spoiled for me, but even while I generally enjoyed the music, I still failed to feel the right feels sometimes...

They could in general have done with a bit less overuse of the characters' theme tunes.  Or maybe had more of them.  The concept of magical warriors activating their powers through song is cool, but it's tempered by the fact that even character songs that I liked became "oh, it's that song again".

Anyhow, the best part of this series is the music (including the soundtrack).  And the first couple eps.

What are your favorite theme/insert songs?  Mine are Synchrogazer, Gyakkou no Flügel, Zettou Ame no Habakiri, and Meteor Light.

That's the best part though.

Maybe it's because I marathoned it. I know I enjoyed her song the first time it was played. Then that part just kinda stood out and more or less irritated me every episode. I don't know actually, maybe I just didn't really like the "gritty"(?) feel of the song. Still preferred it over her other one though, that one didn't really click with me.

DYRE wrote:

Nothing is better than JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJO!

I swear you will fall in love with BLOODY STREAM so hard. Kizunaaaaaa~

And I guess it's not just me that wasn't too keen on the ending.  I blamed it on it being spoiled for me, but even while I generally enjoyed the music, I still failed to feel the right feels sometimes...

I generally fail to feel the right feels, but I think I know why I didn't feel them this time. The tragedies were just so... not there. I never felt that anything would go terribly wrong because of the overall tone of the show. It was always happy tinged with a bit of dark, but never enough to completely blot out the happiness.

What are your favorite theme/insert songs?

All of Hibiki songs, Ame no Habakiri, Synchrogazer.

It's funny to note that it was the second season's OP that made me start watching. The first 30 seconds are still enough to give me the shivers and shakes.

• edited 2014-07-12 11:31:02

I generally fail to feel the right feels, but I think I know why I didn't feel them this time. The tragedies were just so... not there. I never felt that anything would go terribly wrong because of the overall tone of the show. It was always happy tinged with a bit of dark, but never enough to completely blot out the happiness.

See, this is more or less why I don't have any problems with the first season's ending. That was pretty much the only way it could have ended without majorly contradicting the tone from all the previous progression of events.

• I'll have to agree with that. I don't mind cop out endings when they don't destroy the tone or message of the story simply by existing.

Compare that, Kanon, Little Busters etc with Akuma no Riddle, Clannad and Mai Hime etc.

I'lll enjoy a cop-out. Just, not too many too fast.

I think Symphogear implied multiple different tones at various points...and then just picked one.

I wouldn't have minded if they went with a darker ending, though.  I think that would have been more effective, actually...

...though I guess they wouldn't be able to make a second season out of that.

Nah, despite my gripes, my heart wouldn'tve been able to take a bitter ending. I love Hibiki waaaay too muc.

I guess I never found Hibiki all that interesting as a character, for some reason.  Tsubasa and Chris were more interesting to me.

• I liked Hibiki better on reflection

And then come season two she's easily one of my favourite characters ever

• edited 2014-07-12 12:55:35

I think Symphogear implied multiple different tones at various points...and then just picked one.

Not really, aside from the first episode. After that though I don't remember its tone varying any more than any other anime of that type.

Though I barely remember anything about Symphogear except that I didn't like it.

Hibiki's just so endearingly earnest it's irresistible! Dig her voice so much as well.

Hibiki is earnest, yeah, and it's also fun (at least conceptually) to see the cutesy character being cast as an action hero for once.  (Though I can't say I like her voice -- I never had much of a taste for the squeaky high voices.)

• I remember all the people laughing about it being a bad Madoka knockoff after the first episode.

Nobody on /a/ really liked it until Chris appeared.

• I never had much of a taste for the squeaky high voices.)

B-but Hibiki is one of Aoi-chan's less squeaky roles. She can squeak when excited, but in general she speaks with that nice vibrato to her voice that makes her so distinctive.

• DYRE wrote:

Not really, aside from the first episode. After that though I don't remember its tone varying any more than any other anime of that type.

Though I barely remember anything about Symphogear except that I didn't like it.

I remember more than you, and the tone definitely didn't vary much.

• Jaooooo wrote:

I remember all the people laughing about it being a bad Madoka knockoff after the first episode.

They didn't like a bad Madoka knockoff until it became a bad Nanoha knockoff?

• DYRE wrote:

Jaooooo wrote:

I remember all the people laughing about it being a bad Madoka knockoff after the first episode.

They didn't like a bad Madoka knockoff until it became a bad Nanoha knockoff?

Does that mean it was you who wrote that the second season is basically Nanoha Strikers on Tvtropes? :V

Seriously though, it's its own beast. It has way more heart and energy than Nanoha and kind of isn't manufactured out of Super Robot Wars references in an increasingly slapdash way. The only real point of convergence was the Fine/Chris thing and, well, Princess Tutu did that first anyway.

• edited 2014-07-12 16:25:09
    lah laah lah

A blogger I follow referred to it endearingly as 'Anime's greatest fanfic' and I think that's about right for the first season.