If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• edited 2014-07-12 16:33:47

what does that actually mean

• Jaooooo wrote:

Does that mean it was you who wrote that the second season is basically Nanoha Strikers on Tvtropes? :V

Naaaaaah. I've never even watched StrikerS (and never really intend to). Even A's was way too not-a-mahou-shoujo-parody-anymore for my tastes. And for that matter I never watched the second season of Symphogear either (and again, don't plan on doing so ever).

• That's a shame. I thought A's was the one series of Nanoha that's legitimately good.

Like, if I have one problem with A's it's that the movie exists.

what does that actually mean

The staff all sat down and watched a bunch of anime, got excited and then wrote all their favourite bits into a (semi) coherent story. Again, he meant it as a term of endearment. He likened it to a big dog wagging its tail, slobbering and doing every trick in the book with enough charm to earn your love.

I'd argue the title of most anime thing ever actually goes to Horizon though~

• edited 2014-07-12 17:06:11
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Naas_Human wrote:

DYRE wrote:

I think Symphogear implied multiple different tones at various points...and then just picked one.

Not really, aside from the first episode. After that though I don't remember its tone varying any more than any other anime of that type.

Though I barely remember anything about Symphogear except that I didn't like it.

I remember more than you, and the tone definitely didn't vary much.

It had some darker moments such as Fine's abuse of Chris, I guess.

Jaooooo wrote:
    That's a shame. I thought A's was the one series of Nanoha that's legitimately good.

Like, if I have one problem with A's it's that the movie exists.

I found A's to be my least favorite of the three Nanoha seasons.  StrikerS is my favorite.  I still haven't quite figured out why people seem to like A's the most...

Well, I guess it does make good use of dramatic irony.

• First season of Nanoha has Fate, A's has less Fate. Therefore, first season is better.

But really I dunno. Maybe I'd change my mind if I rewatched them now, though updating my opinion on Nanoha is just about the lowest priority anime-related thing I can think of and I have a huge backlog as it is. For similar reasons I'll probably never rewatch Symphogear and I'll just say I don't like it forever (though in that case I'm pretty sure I'd still have the same opinion even after rewatching).

I'd say the most aggressively "this anime is the most anime anime" anime, at least relatively recently (and that I'm actually familiar with obviously), is probably Code Geass.

• edited 2014-07-12 17:09:54

Yeah, I enjoyed the first season more because of the Fate drama.

Also, Symphogear is more fun to listen to than watch.  At least the first season.  I'll get around to watching G sometime.

• a little muffled

First season of Nanoha has Arf, A's has less Arf. Therefore, first season is better.
    obviously fixed

• edited 2014-07-12 17:17:05

Shouldn't that be the other way around? I thought A's had way more Arf, or at least more Arf actually doing things. This has to be true because me not liking Arf was another reason I liked A's less. Maybe. I don't remember anything.

This is what happens when you watch the entire show in one day in a half-screen window while browsing the internet.

• A's and Strikers actually went places with Fate's characterization past 'Poor broken dark magical girl-chan' and there's nothing wrong with that (It's my favourite character archetype) but I like knowing what happens next.

Her becoming both the more feminine of the two, and the surrogate mother when they grew up, was something you'd never see coming but made perfect sense.

A's is the best series because the antagonists are likeable, the drama is realistic (If a little artificially maintained and dependent on contrivance) and the pacing is great. Pacing in the first series is terrible and Strikers has the same problem Mai Hime/Otome has (Two thirds of one show, one third of another).

I'll eat poop before you'll have me admit Code Geass is the most anime anime. Superficially, sure, but what made it really stand out from its peers was its utter terrible writing and pacing.

• Superficially, sure, but what made it really stand out from its peers was its utter terrible writing and pacing.

I don't see how that stops it from being the most anime.

• screenshot

So Joseph is way more fun with his use of Hamon compared to Jonathan.

• edited 2014-07-12 20:18:16
    a little muffled

Shouldn't that be the other way around? I thought A's had way more Arf, or at least more Arf actually doing things. This has to be true because me not liking Arf was another reason I liked A's less. Maybe. I don't remember anything.
    My recollection is that she was on screen about the same amount as the first season but much less of that was spent doing anything relevant and much more was spent being a mascot or something.

For what it's worth, even though Arf really is my favourite character, I actually liked A's much better than the first season for all the reasons Jao⁵ says. I never got around to watching StrikerS.

• Destined for infinity or a miracle...
    Finished Tokyo Ravens. Wasn't a fan of the ending. Which is to say, no ending.

Obviously it was a sequel hook with how that last scene played out, but really? They could've at least made a semi-coherent ending instead of what we got which basically amounted to "We're done, go buy the LNs"!

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Nyktos wrote:

First season of Nanoha has Arf, A's has less Arf. Therefore, first season is better.
    obviously fixed

DYRE wrote:

This is what happens when you watch the entire show in one day in a half-screen window while browsing the internet.

Maybe A's had more of Arf engaging in battle and stuff, but in the first season, Arf definitely occupied a key role in the narrative.

That said, I don't know how it's possible to enjoy a story when I'm also browsing the internet.  I might pick up superficial details but then I just end up being distracted from writing posts and looking up stuff and also missing the important details when they come up in the show.

That said, for some reason my mom can do it.  She says she watches TV shows (albeit live action, not anime) for the setting, rather than the story, so maybe that's it...

Jaooooo wrote:

Her becoming both the more feminine of the two, and the surrogate mother when they grew up, was something you'd never see coming but made perfect sense.

Yeah, I was definitely expecting Fate to grow up to be the stoic type while Nanoha seemed more like the caring type.  Didn't expect those roles to be reversed.

Jaooooo wrote:

A's is the best series because the antagonists are likeable, the drama is realistic (If a little artificially maintained and dependent on contrivance) and the pacing is great. Pacing in the first series is terrible and Strikers has the same problem Mai Hime/Otome has (Two thirds of one show, one third of another).

I actually kinda liked StrikerS's pacing.  It gave me time to get to know the characters and come to care about them, just in time for all hell to break loose.  See, if all hell broke loose before I got to know them like family through all this heartwarming character profiling and character development, then the feels wouldn't be there.  But since I do, it becomes personal.

At least, that's what I think.

• edited 2014-07-13 00:25:24

> Heartwarming

> Not drawn-out, dull and uneventful

See, if all hell broke loose before I got to know them like family through all this heartwarming character profiling and character development,

Also,

> false dichotomy between "all hell breaks loose" and "nothing happens"

• edited 2014-07-13 00:33:08

But really, the stretch of training episodes or whatever the first half consisted of was unnecessary. Subaru and Tia could have ended up spending an episode looking for someone's lost pet and would still have felt more eventful than much of the training, as it would be a "real" situation instead of a planned activity.

• edited 2014-07-13 01:15:45

It's a little slow, but it's effective in the same way that the first part of Eureka Seven (which is also slow) is effective -- it's not effective by itself, but it provides a context for understanding the characters and their background, so that when major drama happens, it resonates much better.

In contrast, I felt that Symphogear's character introductions were -- while decent themselves -- on the whole, a little rushed.  I understand they only had 13 eps to put it together, but I think they could have done a better job.

• edited 2014-07-13 01:48:51
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Obviously it was a sequel hook with how that last scene played out, but really?

And considering how that sold it's clear that the only Tokyo Raven's fan around is Kurosaki Maon.

Also yay my decision to eventually watch Strike the Blood instead of it is validated!

(which is also slow)

Aside from, y'know, all the stuff that happens (Dewey, missions, Renton's obvious growth, conflict).

I felt that Symphogear's character introductions were a little rushed.

I hate to say this because it feels wrong but this is the least valid criticism of Symphogear, especially considering that they only character who was really 'introduced' after the first two episodes (and like, at all) was Chris.

• edited 2014-07-13 01:51:18

That said, I don't know how it's possible to enjoy a story when I'm also browsing the internet.

It's possible to enjoy it as a moekko delivery platform. This is fine for anime since that's ultimately what most anime are trying to do anyway.

Though I stopped doing that a while ago since it really does make it hard to focus on the show, and I'm already bad enough at remembering things from shows I've watched as it is.

Though the truth is I'm still very easily distracted so I still stop the video every few minutes to do whatever.

• Also yay my decision to eventually watch Strike the Blood instead of it is validated!

Strike the Blood had literally one good episode. It was the last one.

Source: I watched both and enjoyed Tokyo Ravens way more.

• edited 2014-07-13 01:57:36

are you sure

Tokyo Ravens might have maon and Nanjo Yoshino but Strike the Blood has all of ALTIMA singing about BLOOD DESTINY.

I think Symphogear implied multiple different tones at various points...and then just picked one.

I wouldn't have minded if they went with a darker ending, though.  I think that would have been more effective, actually...

I think you're misunderstanding the reason Symphogear exists. It's not there to provide a thought provoking narrative and send a message. It knows you already know it's message; hot blood and mecha shoujo always win (and I guess Agematsu is your god and you should love his music) and that's great and fun. Watching it for any other reason than to bask in that message is kind of pointless.

I guess there's the insane little moments of detail with the relics as well but it's mostly the first thing.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I hate to say this because it feels wrong but this is the least valid criticism of Symphogear, especially considering that they only character who was really 'introduced' after the first two episodes (and like, at all) was Chris.

Maybe it wasn't exactly that, but I just felt that I didn't really feel close to the characters before I seemed to be asked to care about stuff happening to them.

DYRE wrote:

That said, I don't know how it's possible to enjoy a story when I'm also browsing the internet.

It's possible to enjoy it as a moekko delivery platform. This is fine for anime since that's ultimately what most anime are trying to do anyway.

Though I stopped doing that a while ago since it really does make it hard to focus on the show, and I'm already bad enough at remembering things from shows I've watched as it is.

Though the truth is I'm still very easily distracted so I still stop the video every few minutes to do whatever.

Fair enough.

I'm also easily distracted but when I start watching an episode I end up watching the whole thing in most cases...

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Almost makes me want to watch Argevollen.

• Destined for infinity or a miracle...

It wasn't that Tokyo Ravens was terrible by any shot. It's just that it felt like the crap ending invalidated any sort of good the show had done. The way it was blatantly cryptic just rubbed me the wrong way.

I liked Toyosaki Aki as Kon. That girl is a pleasure to listen to. She was ADORABLE as Kofuku in Noragami. She's kinda edging her way up there with Touyama Nao for me... Which is funny since I haven't even watched the show of her break out role. (ie K-on)

• edited 2014-07-13 08:31:51

Cardfight!! Vanguard Legion Mate-hen : Meanwhile on the moon, a forest ranger from a war torn Eurasian country imprisons a teenager with the help of said teenager's #1 French fan, a South American man whose entire life has been decided by a card game, a doughnut loving Indian girl and a (obviously) Japanese idol, for said teenager's own good.

Their only insurance that he'll remain imprisoned is a card game, of course.

• edited 2014-07-13 11:03:27

It's a little slow, but it's effective in the same way that the first part of Eureka Seven (which is also slow) is effective -- it's not effective by itself, but it provides a context for understanding the characters and their background, so that when major drama happens, it resonates much better.

In contrast, I felt that Symphogear's character introductions were -- while decent themselves -- on the whole, a little rushed.  I understand they only had 13 eps to put it together, but I think they could have done a better job.

StrikerS was unnatural at times (at least from what I can remember) with character introductions. The first episode spilled a bunch about Subaru's past as if the show was afraid it would run out of time. In contrast, Hibiki never gets an excessively-loaded flashback. She has like, one flashback to events not during any specific episode in all of two seasons, and it focused more on how she felt instead of "VIEWERS MUST LEARN ABOUT THIS ASAP".

Tokyo Ravens might have maon and Nanjo Yoshino but Strike the Blood has all of ALTIMA singing about BLOOD DESTINY

can anything about BLOOD DESTINY be better than the first JoJo theme tho

•  Which is funny since I haven't even watched the show of her break out role. (ie K-on)

:o

Toyosaki Aki is preeeeeetty much one of my favorite seiyuu but unfortunately she (much like Ogura Yui) seems to mostly get stuck in awful roles or in decent roles in awful shows. Or at best she gets very minor roles in good shows.

Fortunately, K-ON! is the best, and she's also one of the main characters in half of the Jewelpet series (actually, in Jewelpet Kira Deco and Jewelpet Happiness, she plays two main characters each) and Jewelpet is the best kids' anime around, obvs.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

can anything about BLOOD DESTINY be better than the first JoJo theme tho

I can't believe you just claimed anything performed by people who aren't ALTIMA can be as good as anything by ALTIMA.

• edited 2014-07-13 12:36:38

I can't believe you're such a dork!

oh wait I totally can

• The first episode spilled a bunch about Subaru's past as if the show was afraid it would run out of time.

There's, um, a reason for that I think. I've no doubt you already know the spoiler, but it made the reveal very dramatically effective.

Tokyo Ravens might have maon and Nanjo Yoshino but Strike the Blood has all of ALTIMA singing about BLOOD DESTINY.

I'm sorry I don't prefer shows based solely oh the quality of their opening themes~ (And yes, I really loved Strike the Blood's second op. I also liked the main couple, but literally nothing else about the show was good apart from the bite scenes).