If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• You can change. You can.

meguca

• edited 2013-04-29 04:25:22

I mean even though it's not exactly possible she still ponders over it anyways.

That doesn't sound healthy, considering how long it took for her to get over Kanade being dead.

But she's M.I.A and revealing that she's still alive would make the Japanese government lose the upper hand of still owning the Symphogear system and everybody thinking it was destroyed.

Well, her M.I.A.-ness was never officially linked to being a Gear user. And anyway, getting back her regular life was a significant part of her motivation, so losing that after returning would be a pity, to say the least.

Then we need Twins who do duets!

Or better yet, a magical girl version of this guy:

(we're still fantasizing here, right?)

• There is love everywhere, I already know

That doesn't sound healthy, considering how long it took for her to get over Kanade being dead.

It's not supposed to be. It's supposed to create tension between her and Chris, who also has dead loved one issues.

Well, her M.I.A.-ness was never officially linked to being a Gear user. And anyway, getting back her regular life was a significant part of her motivation, so losing that after returning would be a pity, to say the least.

I think somebody would've noticed the three gears breaking into the atmosphere and returning (not to mention Chris' full on Freedom Gundam at the edge of space). It's not to say that the resolution couldn't involve Hibiki being allowed to act as a Gear user publicly later.

@KRW: Twins/Two girls who are merged into one and forced to use the same gear (With the same halfway color scheme thing like Double) Why not?!

Also, Symphogear Techno-Enka singer who annoys Tsubasa. Or a cutesie J-pop idol Symphogear who annoys Chris. Or an angry VisKei singer who Hibiki doesn't get. Or combine all three into a rival unit!

• You can change. You can.

Borrowed a copy of Samurai Champloo today (Well, yesterday)

We'll see how fun it is

• A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

I should probably check that out, too. Apparently it was a huge influence for The Boondocks.

• a little muffled

In the end, I remembered that I have a return trip, too, so something longer is actually fine, and also I already had a bunch of episodes of Durarara!! downloaded, so I just decided to get the rest of that.

I'll keep Humanity Is Declined in mind for the future though.

• edited 2013-04-30 18:54:00

I think somebody would've noticed the three gears breaking into the atmosphere and returning (not to mention Chris' full on Freedom Gundam at the edge of space). It's not to say that the resolution couldn't involve Hibiki being allowed to act as a Gear user publicly later.

Thing is, only about a dozen or so people besides the 2nd Division actually saw who they were. Most of the city were in underground shelters at the time. And anyway, I really don't need Hibiki angsting about losing her everyday life again.

@KRW: Twins/Two girls who are merged into one and forced to use the same gear (With the same halfway color scheme thing like Double) Why not?!

Hell, they can just rip off the entire setup of Double. Have some nefarious organization experiment with relics and distribute their knockoff Gear system, while the main characters are the only ones with Gears that don't make them insane or whatever. The Second Division people can be kept out of the picture for most of the show. I mean come on, if Madoka Magica can make it big ripping off a KR series that's mostly notable for being oddly un-KR, surely a ripoff of a KR that's known for actually being watchable would be just fine.

Buuut I guess not all anime properties can be franchised in the "new cast every year" manner. Then again, shows that do get franchised this way tend to start out with direct sequels before "properly" franchising.

By the way, does any version of Black Rock Shooter count as Magical Girl? That the TV version is the second highest recommendation on MAL for Madoka intrigues me a little. Should I watch that one?

• edited 2013-04-30 19:12:11

By the way, does any version of Black Rock Shooter count as Magical Girl? That the TV version is the second highest recommendation on MAL for Madoka intrigues me a little. Should I watch that one?

No it's not a magical girl show at all.  As for whether you should watch it... well, it's not very good.  But I did still like it more or less.  If nothing else, I think its fight scenes were good and it has cool art direction.  Comparisons to Madoka are probably mostly because AAAAAAAAAANGST and DARKNESS, though while Madoka handled that reasonably well, Black Rock Shooter just kind of... didn't.

Wouldn't this basically be Figure 17?

• edited 2013-04-30 20:15:55

Did Figure 17 have the costume split halfway down the middle, or the combined form talking like two people?

Which reminds me, Kazumi Magica had a one-off(?) villain like that, which was pretty cool.

Also, I think if a show is to rip off KRW, it should keep the drug abuse metaphors too. Although I can live without Phillip's "psychic Google" power. #stillfantasizing

Comparisons to Madoka are probably mostly because AAAAAAAAAANGST and DARKNESS, though while Madoka handled that reasonably well, Black Rock Shooter just kind of... didn't.

Ooh, that might be vaguely close to whatever people were expecting Symphogear to be. (although if image macros are to be believed, people were expecting "I raped my childhood friend" to become a plot point)

> Figma Nehushtan Chris protype?

> Oh wait, that's a Bandai figure stand

> and an Evangelion plugsuit body.

Wouldn't this basically be Figure 17?

The concept sounds similar but it would be closer to Double. Tsubasa and Hikaru talk to each other as Figure 17, but I haven't seen Figure 17 talk. Plus what Naas said and anyways they would duet!

Buuut I guess not all anime properties can be franchised in the "new cast every year" manner. Then again, shows that do get franchised this way tend to start out with direct sequels before "properly" franchising.

I don't think Symphogear is popular enough for that. If anything, something like Nanoha or Dog Days could work for that.

Also, I think if a show is to rip off KRW, it should keep the drug abuse metaphors too.

And Symphogear already has a start on this with Kanade and Linker! There's no reason to not expand that!

> Figma Nehushtan Chris protype?

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSS-

> and an Evangelion plugsuit body.

):

Maybe it's a 3.0 thing. Though that could mean EVA maybe ripped off Symphogear.

(although if image macros are to be believed, people were expecting "I raped my childhood friend" to become a plot point)

???

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Watch Serial Experiments Lain

There are no other options.

• Lain is not exactly what I'd want to marathon while bored on an airplane.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

oh, on an airplane.

in that case watch PaniPoniDash!

• Borrowed a copy of Samurai Champloo today (Well, yesterday)

We'll see how fun it is

:D

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion of the series once you get a few episodes in and when you finish.

• edited 2013-05-01 18:10:04

I remember finding Samurai Champloo at least worth watching. Not that I really adored the characters or something, it's just neat enough, at least in an aesthetic manner.

I don't think Symphogear is popular enough for that. If anything, something like Nanoha or Dog Days could work for that.

And Nanoha is only doing that with the spinoff manga, but not any of the animes. Does anybody actually do spinoffs set in the same universe but with an entirely new cast and unconnected story for TV anime?

???

This thing. (does including a shot of the "topless" stone statues in the Symphogear ED count as NSFW? It's a bit hard to notice at the smaller size anyway)

• edited 2013-05-01 18:14:12

I think Nanoha is only doing that with the spinoff manga, but not any of the animes. Does anybody actually do spinoffs set in the same universe but with an entirely new cast anymore for TV anime?

Railgun is still a thing (well, I guess the protagonist is a character from Index.  Every other main character was originally in Railgun though).  And the Saki: Achiga-hen anime just aired a year ago.  And I think Pretty Rhythm: Rainbow Live might have the same setting as the previous Pretty Rhythm series, though I'm not sure about that since I haven't watched them.  There's that Lucky Star spinoff airing now, though that's an ONA and not a TV series.  Last year's Ano Natsu de Matteru might be a spinoff of Onegai Teacher.  And there are probably plenty of others.

I guess most of those were originally manga though.  But then again, most anime are adaptations.

• Yeah, Railgun didn't come to mind, probably because Misaka. Didn't know about Saki:Achiga-Hen. But doesn't that Lucky Star spinoff have returning" characters as leads? Also, was Ano Natsu somewhat non-specific about the ties to Please Teacher? (I heard the references were pretty subtle, or at least, not very blatant.)

• SA seems to like Hunter X Hunter, while TvT despises it.

HMMMMMMMM 

• Has friends besides tanks now

What, why does TVT despise it? Not that I'm that familiar with it, but even outside of SA, I've only read good things about it. I mean, it's by the guy who did Yu Yu Hakusho, after all.

• "Hunter x Hunter is your typical, conventional Shonen. For the record, I don't like Shonens. They often have far too many episodes for their own good, they always cast tenacious, loud mouthed boys in the lead role, and the animes are often surrounded by communities of fanatical fans who often neglect the fact that Shonens are made purely for ten year olds. Hunter x Hunter is no different, expect perhaps in that it has far fewer episodes then say One Piece or Naruto, probably due to its current lack of popularity. Because there are so few episodes (60 or so, a measly amount by Shonen standards), there is a lack of filler episodes, and the plot keeps strictly to story arcs (a small mercy).

The first story arc is far more enjoyable then the next couple. Whereas the first story arc is adventure heavy, the later arcs become bogged down with trying to explain a highly complicated area of martial arts called "Nen" which our characters are trying to learn. Entire episodes seem to consist of characters staring at diagrams of Chi powers, or providing lengthy expositions about the various applications of Nen in recent fights. It is as boring as it sounds. What makes it worse still is that the most interesting character in the series, Hisoka, undergoes a really undesirable change in character. In the first arc, he is portrayed as an enigmatic, psychopathic, and unbelievably dangerous clown. In the later arcs however, he is transforms into a camp, paedophilic, bisexual fruitcake who hangs around in the all-together far more than this troper cares for. He is still dangerous, but devoid of any previous mystique. Like the series in general, he simply degrades over time."

"Perhaps one of the most vastly overrated series of all time.

This is not to say that it is bad. It has good-to-decent character designs, fairly interesting characters, and when motivated the artist is quite capable. But it also has glaring flaws that force it into mediocrity: massive inconsistencies in the art (which will occasionally look like he inked his storyboards and submitted them as finished work), weak story-telling, and awful pacing.

Its initial flaw is that it fails to properly explain what a 'hunter' is and does. We are told what it takes to become one, and some examples of jobs that they do, but not why what the purpose of the Hunter system is, who authorizes it, who funds it, why they're in such high demand, or why it's so godawful hard to become one. There is no sense of coherency to the concept of a 'hunter'. This makes it rather hard to care about whether Gon passes the exam to become one.

The first two arcs, comprising almost a hundred chapters, are nothing more than a shallow excuse for fight scenes, filled with threats of an entirely artificial nature. The danger is real, but the danger can also be walked away from at any time. There would be absolutely no consequences if Gon and Killua walked away from the exam, and from there the story catapults directly into a rather dull tournament arc with absolutely nothing on the line. It is difficult to maintain tension under these circumstances.

Even once it moves past this phase, it runs into another problem: training sequences. Endless, mindless training sequences. The entirety of the Greed Island arc is, more or less, Gon and Killua doing training sequences while guys nobody cares about muck around with game mechanics in the background. That's fifty chapters, flushed down the toilet. This is not even including the chapters devoted to lengthy explanations of the mechanics of the pointlessly complex Nen system. The series is constantly interrupting plot for this sort of arbitrary garbage.

And the fight scenes just are not that great. Not bad, but extremely typical of a shonen series.

Overall, not a bad series. But it does not even remotely live up to the hype.

Except for Netero. Netero is everything promised and more.

[EDIT] As of the most recent chapters, the author has officially gone insane. Manga is now utter shit."

• edited 2013-05-01 23:27:38
    Has friends besides tanks now

"Shonens"

"animes"

the various applications of Nen in recent fights. It is as boring as it sounds.

This doesn't sound that boring, though. Or, at least, it could be interesting.

this troper

Forgot how annoying this was.

We are told what it takes to become one, and some examples of jobs that they do, but not why what the purpose of the Hunter system is, who authorizes it, who funds it, why they're in such high demand, or why it's so godawful hard to become one.

Wouldn't the stakes, and the example jobs, illustrate at least the high demand and difficulty in becoming one?

The rest of it seems valid, though. Though I don't have the time nor the inclination to really find out for myself.

• Eh, going further down, there are at least a few positive reviews.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

The reviews section of that site was always a rallying point for unusually obnoxious people; I don't think that it really stands for the site as a whole, just as GB posters are reviled throughout SA.

• As far as average shonen fighting series go, HxH is probably the best of the lot.

• edited 2013-05-03 05:34:54
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Kakuimeiki Valvrave 04: Holding Robots hostage.

It is not a bad idea. It is infact a somewhat great idea. It is an idea that was vaguely maybe stolen from Horizon. The excecution is just... it's really bad.

Also you're honestly telling me that nobody could've been like "Hey Shoko what's your dad doing while we all almost die" and that nobody cared that the presidents daughter was in danger gods Valvrave that is some dumb stuff.

• Still not "Getting it" I see.

• "Call me Moses, because I'm gonna part this sea of students."

Why are you trying to make this The Wire.

This is clearly not The Wire.

• Nanomachine body switching space vampire in giant cursed super robot with anime computer on a rogue nation of children fights against space nazis, evil space americans, while his girlfriend, both the president and the president's daughter, rivals L-Elf, a rogue space nazi prophet who single handily killed 5,000 single in one battle at 15.

"Call me Moses, because I'm gonna part this sea of students."

That was the best "ARUS who are totally not America" moment, aside from the two blonde kids defending them.

^ And we're only 4 episodes in!

Anybody want to bet that L-Elf also predicted Shoko's peace sign?

• edited 2013-05-04 06:28:29

IJBM: Crunchyroll's subs for Ixion Saga DT leaves "Erec-sama" as "Erec-sama", but "Jugglabark-sama" is "Lord Jugglabark". Why have honorifics at all, anyway? It's not like the characters are actually speaking Japanese. Probably.

Anyway, just finished episode 20. Man, that fight animation was underwhelming.

Also, is it wrong that I love how Kon's singing voice is annoying? I mean, it sounds like he's actively trying to sound annoying, not like he actually can't sing.