If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Animu/Mango General

Comments

• Actually, the characters could be speaking Japanese.  Kon can communicate with them after all.  They just don't write in Japanese.

But in any case Ixion Saga DT is pretty good, though I feel like it either got worse toward the end, or I just got sick of it.

• edited 2013-05-04 14:09:19

Yeah, but the setting isn't Japan anyway. Crunchyroll's subs for Gosick (at least the first ep) also had honorifics, even though that definitely wasn't set in Japan, but I think it only had them when somebody was talking to the Japanese kid. I only saw the first ep so far, though, so I'm not sure if that's something consistent.

By the way, why does Aiura have a one-minute OP when total episode length is only 4 minutes? And what's with the crabs and... Steve Jobs? It's not bad, but it's almost as if somebody had a big idea for an anime opening, but they ended up having to work on a short. Or is this something common with short anime? I wonder what whoever wrote that song thinks of the Crabstick subs of Mazinger Z.

• Kichigai birthday!!

This song is stupid but enjoyable

• Eh, doesn't sound that dumb, compared to things I've heard. But maybe that's just because I don't have a translation to check.

• edited 2013-05-06 21:57:24
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> using a Madoka (Kyouno) avatar

> writing "Madoka" and using that to refer not to Madoka Kyouno but to something else (and not instead calling it "PMMM")

D:<

• Actually, I'm pretty sure the actual abbreviation is Madomagi.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I'm okay with that.

• edited 2013-05-06 22:13:15

^^^ I'm pretty sure I made those posts before I changed my avatar.

Ah.

Well I read them just now.

• edited 2013-05-08 06:00:55

Speaking of Lagrange, I've only got three episodes left now.

Spoiler:

Are they trying to keep Madoka out of the action? Next episode preview shows Ignis and Lympha, but not Aura.

Also, the Le Garite guys appear to have... a soul gem? That is kinda hilarious.

In other news I just found out that Nyaruko-san's season 1 finale has a big Ultraman Tiga reference. That's pretty much the perfect choice considering the tokusatsu nerdery and Ultraman Tiga itself having incorporated Cthulhu Mythos... stuff.

Maybe I should watch that, even though I have absolutely no need for a Cthulhu Mythos show filled with tokusatsu nerdery.

And another thing: Studio Trigger will be making a show called Killer Kill. Seems to feature high school girls and RIVALRY.

Oh, are you watching the first series?

• edited 2013-05-08 06:10:23

Nyaruko or Lagrange? I'm watching Lagrange season 2. Not actually watching Nyaruko yet because the concept doesn't actually interest me. (Now, if the Ultraman people did a show with lots of crazy rubber suit versions of Lovecraft monsters, my fandom life would be complete)

(also, funny how I'm still bringing up characters with Madoka in their name, in this case Ultraman Tiga/Daigo Madoka)

Oh, dang, you and fourteenwings are both ahead of me on Lagrange, then.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

Kill la Kill seems... sorta maybe promising.

• It looks like the show might be... brutal. Like, with realistic bruising or scarring.

I just hope it's more than a gory spectacle.

• I'm not really sure why, but I wouldn't mind that too much right now.

In other news, look what's turned up!

• edited 2013-05-10 02:12:50
    There is love everywhere, I already know

@glennmagusharvey: So I was thinking about how Saya laid out the plans for the Opposing Djinn and I realized that while 1 and 6 do correlate there's a larger instance of correlation between 1 and 12.

1 is a lot of exploration of the outside world, represented by the Djinn who gives her the ability to look at anything outside. While 12 is introspection, represented by a Djinn who acts as catalyst for said introspection (looking into a mirror).

1 is Sky, which is a fake construct made by the human eye since it can't exactly see outside it's limits. Sky becomes a metaphor for human society as a whole, human society can be seen as an excuse to never be alone and to always avoid looking inwards. The Sky Djinn presents the perfect trap, viewing all the beauty outside so that you don't have to ever look within and handle your problems, letting them be solved for you.

Episode 1 is also the only one where Manatsu doesn't play a key/instrumental role in Ichika's process. After it they at least engage in actual dialogue, which brings me back to Manatsu being Ichika's mirror image and Ichika not wanting to (or not even realizing that she's not) look within herself.

Episode 12 is Mirror, in which Ichika is forced to look within herself. Throughout the series Ichika manages to see a bit more of what life is really like in a society (to the point where she even attempts suicide because she doesn't want to continue living with the truth). The perfect trap laid out with the promise of fun and solutions evolves into the mirror that forces you to create your own fun and solutions through introspection and actually dealing with the outside world.

tl;dr: Episode 1 is irresponsibility and Episode 12 is responsibility.

In other news, look what's turned up!

Hibiki's new Bulldozerfeet look amazing. Hey, and it is a scarf. I love all the minor detail changes on Tsubasa's outfit and Chris looks really great. I like how Mecha-ey Chris' arms look!

• edited 2013-05-10 07:55:45

^ I never ever thought of it that way.  Wow.  That's brilliant!  Thanks!

• edited 2013-05-10 16:22:13

So it turns out that Slavek Kowalewski, who wrote/arranged the soundtrack to AKB0048, also worked on Heroman and Smile Precure.

Well, Smile Precure's going on my watchlist; I've got two reasons to watch it now.

also worked on Heroman

So that's what sounded similar!

Smile Precure's going on my watchlist

Ermm... Smile Precure isn't exactly the best. In fact I'd recommend you skip some of it including the finale.

• Hibiki's new Bulldozerfeet look amazing. Hey, and it is a scarf. I love all the minor detail changes on Tsubasa's outfit and Chris looks really great. I like how Mecha-ey Chris' arms look!

I don't like the white patch on Chri's crotch. It's kind of uncomfortable. Moreso than on Tsubasa or then grey patch on Hibiki.

Aaaand I just talked about teenagers' crotch coverings. This is so wrong.

So it turns out that Kowalewski didn't do the entire soundtrack, but was one of several composers who worked on it.  Still good, though.

And I've seen Cure Beauty's fight in one of the later episodes.  That was pretty awesome.

How is Smile not the best?

• edited 2013-05-13 13:30:33

Just finished two mecha shows, Dancouga Nova and Rinne no Lagrange. Honestly, neither were all that great as finales.

(spoiler for Dancouga Nova)

Spoiler:
    The plot twist that the rival faction was intended to actually help out the main cast to fight an even bigger enemy was... well, a lot like Linebarrels of Iron, but it was kinda easy to see coming because a) I've seen images of Dancouga Nova's final upgrade, and it was obviously combined with R-Daigun (or however you spell it) and b) the opening made it pretty clear that R-Daigun's pilot is actually Eida. All in all, I guess it didn't feel as stupid since there was always some lingering suspicion that there was more going on that we're told. The final battle was not all that great, and disappoitingly, "original Dancouga" was not what the name suggested it was (i.e it's not really the Dancouga). Aoi suddenly got more protagonist-y, like "why is this from her perspective?" Not so much bad as... not really needed.

(spoiler for Lagrange)

Spoiler:
    Final battle was a bit underwhelming, and the "evil" Vox wasn't a good design. Moid could have been a better villain. I wish Yurikano actually did something. And who's ruler of Demetrio now? Not sure how I should feel about Madoka deciding to pretty much do the same thing she's been doing for the rest of her life.

Oh wow does this post look kinda weird, especially when you read the Lagrange part.

This is Lagrange season 2 you're talking about, right?  If so, I'm not reading that spoiler.

Now I'm really motivated to rewatch Lagrange as a whole and comment...

• edited 2013-05-13 14:13:52

^^ Yes, season 2.

^ can't you comment from memory?

Also, come to think of it, maybe my standards for mecha final battles are a little high after watching Shin Mazinger.

What's this I'm hearing about the series Nashville and why does it sound like Idolmaster with country music?

• edited 2013-05-14 10:25:16

Apparently, there's a spinoff manga of Rinne no Lagrange titled Akatsuki no Memoria that started running before the anime broadcast. Focus seems to be on the Demetrio/Kiss guys and Yurikano. First chapter was oddly cheesecakey and I from what I've "heard" of it (as in, one or two random blog posts I've read) the manga is apparently more ecchi than the anime.

But still, Yurikano! And perhaps a reason to care about the Kiss guys.

I mostly forgot about those three guys after I finished watching season 1.  They seemed like they were demoted to sideshow by the end of the first season.