If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Same. But that is.... most definitely a way to make her unexplained.

• Definitely not gay.

Of course I'd be just as OK with the alternative.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

One of the great things about GC is how well it understands the themes that underlie both fantasy and science fiction; it knows exactly how to make something mysterious and enticing, but it also knows how to give something the impression of a "known factor", even if it's entirely fictional. Many of the supernatural elements of the Court simply exist without solid explanation, such as the inhabitants of the forest. Others are semi-successful attempts at the quantification of magic through technology, although it's clear that such forces are only understood through imperfect comparison to existing technologies. There's just this sense of organic being to the entire setting that many works of fiction can never hope to achieve. 

• Definitely not gay.

Yeah, GC is pretty great.

• You can change. You can.

You know, “The Deadly Art of Science” is seriously one of my favorite arcs in the history of arcs.

Normally, I hate origin stories but it’s just great to see Robo being such a massive dork and then have Tesla and Edison shoot electric rays at each other while Tesla is wearing an Iron Man suit under his dapper-as-fuck suit. 

In conclusion: Read Atomic Robo. Just

read atomic robo

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    ITT: comics.

now if only we had a thread for this shit

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    so i've been in paris for an hour and a half and i've come to one conclusion

i really

really

hate

being in a country where i dont speak the language.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Alex

here's a chance to redeem yourself:

use your wordvomit skills to tell me of Otton the Third.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I'd love to, but everything I know about Otto III fits into a matchbox. 

He was, of course, a 10th century German monarch who didn't fuck up relations with the Vatican and was nice to Eastern Europe, and therefore probably fictional. Blah blah crowned at three years of age blah blah went from "just" being a king to an Emperor blah blah and so on and so forth. Went to Italy, caused a ruckus, executed some dudes here and there, we all know the story. He put his cousin in as Pope, who was then succeeded by a guy named "Sylvester", empirically proving that the Middle Ages are the most amusing years of history. 

• being in a country where i dont speak the language.

Il-y-a une manire the remèdier cela.

Hmm, I haven's studied in ages...

• Voulez-vous couchez avec moi ce soir/un mouton/un chien/un vache quirie

It's all you need, really.(sits in messy living room due to French roomie not cleaning up after dinner party, so might have some resentment behind it)

In more personal news, went to literal dead baby comedy play, and goodbye party for tangentially known highschool bro. Drank way too many drinks through each other, was the only one who took the Jersey Shore joke theme seriously(pics will follow), and flirted with a gal who had a great pout, complained about not having enough parties in me hometown, was annoyed that I not remembered from party half a year ago and apparently is in a relationship with a band lead singer(Google Fu reveals this: http://www.myspace.com/oospunkrock) and after a quick listen I don't care a flying shit if our interaction constitued flirting.

Whelp, no arrowtexting for me today. Brb, stomach contents have an appointment with toilet.

• edited 2012-11-09 22:46:01
    Has friends besides tanks now

So, for an English presentation, I need to relate Poe's works to a recent political movement (well, I don't have to do Poe, specifically, but when I suggested this to my group after we read "Ligeia" for the class, one of them liked the idea, and the other . . . hasn't really said anything. At the time, I didn't remember the exact format of the presentation, and it might be a bit late now). Does anyone who knows Poe better than me have any suggestions?

• Compare the Cask of Amontillado to the Tea Party, because of all the needless spite and

stonewalling

• Definitely not gay.

Oh god, Bastion just reminded me of something.

Does anyone still have the "Rose eyebrows" gif? You know, the one I used during the Portal 2 episode?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Went out with my family today. My brother, my father, his girlfriend, and his girlfriend's two sisters.

Went out for lunch, then watched Dredd. (I'm still not sure what the point of Dredd was.)

Came home for a bit, then went back out for dinner, then bowling, where I proceeded to piss everyone off by being really really ungainly and awkward, but still winning three out of five games (at one point getting three strikes in a row).

Now my legs and hands are really sore.

Going out to a golf driving range tomorrow. Gonna hit some golf balls for forever or something.

Also, things that annoy me:

The night was described as "Disco bowling night", between 8:30 and 11:30.

But the music was a horrid combination of pop and dubstep.

• edited 2012-11-10 06:50:11
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I'm still not sure what the point of Dredd was

So people could say some of it was filmed on location in South Africa!

pop and dubstep

Maybe this is the new 'hip' description of disco that has escaped all of us.

• I want to see Dredd. I'm a fan of the comics, and my uncle (also a fan of the comics) tells me it's both good and feels a lot more like the original comics did.

• edited 2012-11-10 06:53:54
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I don't know if it was good.

It might be, but it also felt kinda pointless. Like, there was no message, or anything (as far as I could tell, mind you, not there wasn't one in general).

It was just one cop dude and a rookie against a drug-dealing army, and he killed like fifty people because.

It wasn't bad or anything, I just can't tell if the movie was trying to have a message or if it was just trying to be a fun romp.

(I'm also probably biased because there was too much gore in the movie and I had to stop watching at several points.)

• edited 2012-11-10 07:09:37

Dredd's message is told through its setting.

Namely; "THIS IS WHAT YOUR WORLD COULD BE LIKE"

"WHERE THE THIN BLUE LINE BETWEEN ORDER AND CHAOS BECOMES A BLOODY RED RAZOR WIRE"

"JUSTICE AND MERCY DIED YESTERDAY; ALL THAT IS LEFT IS THE RICOCHETING BULLET"

It's not a nice message, but it's a message.

It kinda seemed to be mocking the concept of a completely dystopic world to me, but whatever.

• Sounds about right; Judge Dredd the comic was very black comedy satire.

I've read that Arkham Asylum from the Grant Morrison recommended list. Its shit. Joker is portrayed as semi-gay, squeezing Batman's ass in a panel, and having a seducing tone throughout the entire comic. Batman's rogues' portrayals are not true to the characters. And, the ending though cool isn't realistic or makes much sense. The fact that people praise this garbage shows that Grant Morrison is overated.

I forgot that people on the internet could be stupid.

Shut up i just woke up
  • Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

>squeezing Batman's ass

Sounds like the best part.

• Definitely not gay.

Just finished Cowboy Bebop.

Man, even if I knew it would happen it was still sad.

• a little muffled
    Have you watched the movie yet?
  • Definitely not gay.

No, not yet.

I'm planning to.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Nova - Dredd was more just a straight adaptation of the comics. And like Kraken said, the message of Dredd is more backed into the setting than actual characters. Hence why the movie felt more like a pilot for a TV show than an actual movie. But generally the theme with Dredd as a character is what sort of things wouldd rive a man to support and enforce a horrible system? We know Dredd is no saint, he does horrible things often, but he is not a completely evil man. He is just a guy working as a cog in a fascist system to try to keep things from getting even worse. 

is "falling into debauchery" an idiom or am i making shit up