If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-11-08 13:01:30

Yeah, Smiley is silly.  It's worth watching if you like to cringe at internet references.

My favorite line is probably "Lulz.  You know, like Lolcats, but luuuuuuulz," as an explanation of what "for the lulz" means.

• But you never had any to begin with.
    "For the Lolcats!" would be the worst battlecry ever.

• There were guns and killing in it! And the villain had a deformity! And James Bond had sex with a woman!

Should not have highlighted those spoilers. Now I'm ruined for marriage.

• edited 2012-11-08 19:23:40
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

IJAM: These bridges.

Interesting. The embedding only works if it's the first thing in the post.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Holy shit, that is awesome.

And has an estimate lifetime that rivals or exceeds man-made concrete bridges.

It's just that it takes a long time to, so to speak, take root.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

Beautiful.

• Definitely not gay.

Assuming they don't just do one of the various things one can do to overcome that (you know, asking fans, looking it up, etc), I don't think a lot of them give a fuck.

Except they won't be able to appreciate the story fully without reading the first four acts. I mean hearing it from word of mouth is one thing: experiencing it is another.

It's great if they still get to appreciate the story for what it is, but the thing is they aren't appreciating the story to its fullest capacity. 

It's still better for some people than sinking the extra hours in when they have jobs to go to, and friends to hang out with, and houses to take care of.

Because you have to dedicate every single hour of your life when reading a long bit of fiction, right?

There is such a thing as "taking it in patiently bit-by-bit whenever you have spare time".

There's also the fact that not everyone who skips acts is doing so because they don't have a lot of spare time. Sometimes they're skipping it because fuck, they just wanna see the trolls.

While it was nice of Andrew to give the trolls a chance to shine, that shouldn't be Homestuck's only draw. Homestuck also has a lot of other nice qualities that should be valued too, and by skipping the first four acts you're glossing over those qualities.

Homestuck takes a LOT of patience to appreciate fully. The storytelling requires on the viewer to wait, and given the fast-paced update rate that can sometimes be rather difficult. But it more often than not turns out for the best, and it's nice to not be immediately gratified.

• edited 2012-11-09 07:48:13
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

• edited 2012-11-09 07:47:45
    There is love everywhere, I already know

but the thing is they aren't appreciating the story to its fullest capacity.

And this should bother exactly nobody. At all.

Also, Homestuck may be the greatest work of fiction to grace the face of the earth, but there is no way there is exactly one way to get total enjoyment out of the series, especially because everybody is different.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Workimg 7 to 4:30 today. Fun.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

And not even at minimum wage! :|

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    You Australians and your awesome wages.
  • edited 2012-11-09 08:18:06
    Definitely not gay.

Also, Homestuck may be the greatest work of fiction to grace the face of the earth, but there is no way there is exactly one way to get total enjoyment out of the series, especially because everybody is different.

Okay buddy.

There's more than one way to fully appreciate the series, right?

Well how can you get to fully appreciate the series if you haven't even read all of it?

And this should bother exactly nobody. At all 

Well excuse me if I can't help but feel sad that people are missing out on certain aspects because they were too hasty/wanted to see the trolls early. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Well excuse me if I can't help but feel sad that people are missing out on certain aspects because they were too hasty/wanted to see the trolls early. 

Well, no, actually.

Perhaps if it mattered at all, but it doesn't. It's just a story, and people reserve the right to read whatever they want, when they want to, how they want to.

If that involves skipping large chunks of a story, whatever; that's their prerogative, and it's stupid to resent them for it.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!
    So I have one of those... interview things today? It's at a shitty clothing store but I might finally have a job.
  • edited 2012-11-09 08:37:25
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Look, I love Symphogear, but if somebody wants to just watch the girls fights or whatever and skip everything else there's really no reason for me to care.

^ Hope that goes well.

• Except they won't be able to appreciate the story fully without reading the first four acts.

While this might be true, in the end, it will depend on whether the person in question considers a full appreciation of homestuck to be worth the time expenditure. Many people don't.

• edited 2012-11-09 08:45:49
    Definitely not gay.

if somebody wants to just watch the girls fights or whatever and skip everything else there's really no reason for me to care.

Well, that's you buddy. I myself can't help but feel a bit of pity whenever someone skips over a huge part of the story.

If that involves skipping large chunks of a story, whatever; that's their prerogative, and it's stupid to resent them for it.

I never said that I could do anything about it. I also never said that I would hate them for it.

I'm just saying that it's a pity that they'll never experience the other fine qualities Homestuck has. I mean sure one or two people have read the entire thing and only really like the trolls, but in most cases people would probably appreciate the story more if they just gave the first four acts a chance.

There's also the fact that a large part of the trolls' characters is established in the first four acts, so if you skip the first four acts you're really missing out on a lot about them. 

Many people don't.

A lot of people would only find enjoyment in one or two aspects of the comic.

A lot more would find enjoyment in the comic if they just gave the other bits half a chance. That's what I'm trying to say.

I never said that I could do anything about it. I also never said that I would hate them for it.

I never said you said either of those things, in turn.

I'm just saying that it's a pity that they'll never experience the other fine qualities Homestuck has. I mean sure one or two people have read the entire thing and only really like the trolls, but in most cases people would probably appreciate the story more if they just gave the first four acts a chance.

And, has been said before, many people simply do not give a fuck. And that's fine, and feeling... well, anything but indifferent, really, about that, is kind of silly. (comma splice)

-insert Naruto comparison here-

• Definitely not gay.

And, has been said before, many people simply do not give a fuck.

That's precisely why I feel sad. The fact that this attitude is commonplace is rather depressing to me.

And that attitude is silly. As has been stated.

• Definitely not gay.

How so?

Because it is placing a judgement on other people's tastes and attitudes where it doesn't affect anyone but themselves.

Also, re the whole discussion:

-insert Naruto comparison here-

• Well, first off there's the issue with making assumptions about people's tastes, it's really hard to tell what they will or will not enjoy.

But that's really not the point, for all I know, they would probably appreciate homestuck's first part. The thing is, even if they did, there's no guarantee that they'll like it more than whatever else they could be reading/watching/doing in the time they spent on it.

An argument could be made that, given that they certainly enjoy part 5 onwards, they have an affinity towards homestuck's style, and there's a good chance they'd enjoy parts 1-4 a lot too, but it could easily not be the "optimal" use of time. For example, say you have someone who got into homestuck because he enjoys lesbian relationships as understood by a straight male, perhaps they might enjoy early homestuck, but their tastes would be better served by watching specific chinese cartoons and the sort.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that stuff is complicated and the reason people got annoyed by your posts is probably that using words as "pity" when it comes to something as banal as how people experience media usually comes off as condescending.

• Definitely not gay.

the reason people got annoyed by your posts

You guys were annoyed?

I thought we were just having a normal discussion on the whole thing.

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

From my perspective, they did seem a little annoying.

I probably would not have blankposted if I had not been annoyed enough to make a post I regretted.

• edited 2012-11-09 09:29:01
    Definitely not gay.

Well I said something.

You guys questioned what you perceived as flaws in my statement.

I responded.

You responded back.

Seemed pretty normal to me.

I had no intention of coming off as annoying, and I have mixed feelings about being perceived as such.

• You can change. You can.

Skyfall countdown has reached zero. 

Preparations have been made. 

Sadly, my plans to turn this into a date have fallen by the wayside.

On the other hand...Javier Bardem having another silly haircut and being deliciously evil is all I care about.

• >be InsanityAddict(world's most sanist username)

>wake up early because package(previous roomie goes to Oxford for 3 years, doesn't change his post address)

>doesn't arrive at designated time

>guest lecture by prof Surfrock, and I already had done a course on the topic

>class once again concludes that chivalry is masochism(thanks Slavoj!) and Romanticism is emo

>next up, a dinner of bananas, crisps and cereal

>despite not cooking, still miss English study association AGM

>but not the drinks afterwards

>new prez pours out heart and angst to me after one beer

>convince the gal that riot police training day outings are the new hip thing among frats and study associations

>she likes the plan, giving me more opportunities to get those pigs back for bike light fines(picky fuckers)

>next up, Pop Round(free gigs in bars throughout the town)

>the crew: sports brodette, ano brodette, and tagging along with her, a troll who apparently does both Chinese and Game Design and Development

>(insert traumatic flashback to 2007, where I failed to get into the latter study to severely underestimating how many technical skills where needed for it)

>/v/ modo engaged

>anyhow, the gigs in no particular order: failed singer-songwriter, nice bluegrass band, swell soul songstress(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiildeHC958), sweet swing(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNN4L5bb4Xs) and a band consisting of gimps and a poledance  act(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OieZC3jb6E0)

>by the last act SJ brodette has joined the gang, crowd is going wild

>stay dancing for an hour after last act has ended, feet hurt like fuck

>introduces me as the dude she met through "feminism"

>my sides are in another galaxy

>night ends at frat, underage b& weeaboo brodette be there too

>complains that she missed it, accuses me of missing the opportunity to tell her earlier in the week

>codephrase 'Chatrandom'

>her repressed memories of dicks, dicks everywhere resurface

>also learned some gossip about an old highschool bro, who apparently still hasn't settled some financial dispute from his stint as a treasure

>moar leverage for roping him into social gigs, so no skin off my back

>remember I still have an application for a committee to fill in

>rush home

>find out living room is occupied by sleeping hairy Frenchmen

>again

Welp, so much for coherency.