If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-11-13 00:21:14
    You can change. You can.

Huh. I actually like it more than the original version.

• edited 2012-11-13 00:25:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

This thread now has more posts than the Lavos Core has HP.

Anyway, I thought his opinion was only worth three-fifths of yours.  Or wait, wrong ethnicity...

And I'm pretty sure most red states lose money.  Texas is like the only one with a booming economy.  And North Dakota, sure, but that one's only because of shale gas.

• edited 2012-11-13 00:42:07
    Has friends besides tanks now

Dammit, I missed post 29,999. >:[

And the thing about those petitions is that they actually represent a very small fraction of each state (in Texas's case, something like <.1% of its population), and the response that the White House makes would probably just be "fuck yo petition." At the very least, it would be unfair to say, "Texas wants to secede," etc (not that anyone here was saying that). Granted, .1% is still a little too big for comfort, and it's disheartening that there are so many un-American extremists there, but it's not actually significant.

• You can change. You can.

So I wrote this essay with oblique Psycho references as if I didn't intend to spoil the movie.

Because

you know

film history professors don't know how Psycho ends

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

New avatar whooooo

• Does everyone die?
  • Definitely not gay.

Hey guys, is it wrong that I find the Ice King the most sympathetic character in Adventure Time

I think he's certainly gone through a lot of shit he doesn't deserve.

Especially the whole "being the Ice King at all" bit.

• edited 2012-11-13 04:59:34
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

^^ yes

• Definitely not gay.

I mean yeah, he's a narcissistic immature brat trapped in an old man's body, but (as a later episode shows) it isn't his fault and he can be nice when he wants to.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

On the other hand, the Ice King is a serial kidnapper who tries to use his personal misery as social currency. 

• edited 2012-11-13 05:08:23
    Definitely not gay.

That's what makes him so fun! If he wasn't crazy, he'd just be some senile dude who whined all the time!

Well he is but he's also a bunch of cool things.

• edited 2012-11-13 05:16:07
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

I suppose you could say I don't feel bad for the Ice King so much as I feel bad for Simon Petrokov.

Not sure if that's still spoilers or not at this point.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I mean yeah, he's a narcissistic immature brat trapped in an old man's body, but (as a later episode shows) it isn't his fault and he can be nice when he wants to.

I don't even know who he is.

You just prefaced your post with "Is it wrong if X" which is like... just begging me to say 'Yes'.

That said, I don't often have a lot of sympathy for characters that can be nice when they want to, but rarely choose to, because in that case it seems like a lot of their misery is brought on themselves.

• edited 2012-11-13 05:16:17
    yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

He's possessed by his crown.

Little of what he does can really be said to be "deliberate" on his own part, unless you're making a distinction between Simon and The Ice King.

• edited 2012-11-13 05:10:13
    Definitely not gay.

Not sure if that's still spoilers or not at this point.

I think it is, so you should probably spoiler that just in case.

He's possessed by his crown.

"Possessed" isn't the word I'd use for it. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I don't even know who he is.

What word would you use for it?

• Definitely not gay.

"Broken".

The crown lacks a drive of its own, so it cannot truly possess someone. It didn't exert its own will on the Ice King, it just broke him mentally so thoroughly that he lacked the ability to use his will responsibly.

I was under the impression that the crown was actively malignant.

• edited 2012-11-13 05:53:16

It could be both, it doesn't really matter at this point.

It's the same thing with Nox and the Eliacube from Wakfu; is Nox just driven to madness from the implied promises of endless power, or is the Eliacube actually sentient and malignant, seeking to return to its proper Eliatrope masters? 

And we don't know. We'll never know. They're broken, that's all that matters.

• edited 2012-11-13 05:51:55
    Definitely not gay.

It also gave him magic powers, which minimizes the likelihood of him suffering any true consequences for his actions.

Which is probably a part of why he's such a self-entitled manchild.

^I like my idea better anyways, because just saying that the Ice Crown mind-controlled him robs his past of some of the tragedy and scariness that it deserves.

• a little muffled

@Juan: If you are actually interested in looking for a new internet plan, I have heard good things about TekSavvy.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    You do realize you can find a character sympathetic based on their backstory and occasional bits of nobility, but still recognize them as the horrible person they are. Magneto comes to mind here.
  • Definitely not gay.

As I said elsewhere, what made Ice King so effective was what made the Joker effective. His backstory could have happened to anyone in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people. I guess that's what scares us most: for all we know, we could've been sporting a long magic beard and spirit-seeing eyes.

The Joker doesn't even have a backstory.

• Definitely not gay.

The Joker doesn't even have a backstory.

The implication is still there. He could've been anyone, anywhere.

No, not really.

The Joker isn't a person with a sympathetic backstory (at least, in Nolan's movies; I think it may be different in some adaptations). He's not an everyman; he couldn't have been just anyone.

He's insane, he's chaotic, and he holds absolutely no regard for anything.

He is more of a force of nature, a force of chaos, than a person. Viewing him as someone just anyone could be cheapens him, in my opinion at least.

• Definitely not gay.

I was talking about the Killing Joke interpretation of the Joker.

In The Killing Joke, the Joker might have been an ordinary chemical plant worker who was cowed by the mob into joining them and, through a sequence of unfortunate events, becomes the homicidal maniac we know.

The scary part relies on the viewer's previous perception as what you think the Joker is supposed to be: a murderous force of nature. The viewer is supposed to realize that "holy crap, I could've been that guy for all I know!"

Right.

Isn't that the one where the Joker himself admits he has no idea if that's actually his past or not? Because I'm pretty sure it is.