If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

So, my mother apparently bought my brother a netbook.

And yet she can't afford to by food for him for breakfast.

:|

• You can change. You can.

Welp.

Also Highlander was cool. 

ALEX YELL AT ME ABOUT SWORDS AND HIGHLANDER cuz i thought the swordplay was cool but i am curious about how accurate it was

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

FYI: The term "right to work" is basically code for being anti-union.

The term originates from the notion that union bosses can coerce workers who aren't keen on a strike to join a strike, and thus that denies these workers the "right to work".

However, in practice, "right to work" laws just mean that company workforces can't be unionized...or, at least, their workers can't be compelled to join a workers' union.  And, in practice, this means that firms can much more easily get around collective bargaining by unions, and more easily bring in non-unionized workers if a union goes on strike, and stuff like that.  In other words, it's easier for management to tell the union to go twist if the management don't like what they're hearing.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^From what I remember hearing a lot of liberties had to be taken due to Christopher Lambert's vision issues.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...one of the most mature threads on the internet.

http://www.steamgifts.com/forum/6EEkd/my-girlfriend-is-pregnant

Can anyone please help me find a certain video?  It used to be on Youtube but isn't anymore.

It's a Sky Girls AMV using the song "Hajimari no Kaze" (the theme song of Saiunkoku Monogatari).

• No rainbow star

^^ I am assuming you're being sarcastic

• They're somethin' else.

Damn I love Highlander. Fuck those sequels, though.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

ALEX YELL AT ME ABOUT SWORDS AND HIGHLANDER cuz i thought the swordplay was cool but i am curious about how accurate it was

Not very. Can't blame 'em, though, since it was made before knowledge of the medieval martial arts was really a collective thing. 

The motions are too wide, slow and purposeless in general. A modern remake, though, would have the opportunity to call on sword styles from all over the world, perhaps even producing hybrid styles for those immortals who have been particularly long-lived and far abroad. 

• Okay, Streets of Glory. I think I've think I've found a Garth Ennis comic I can actually like.

• I actually like Garth Ennis. Saying that, I understand exactly WHY people hate him.

• I absolutely love this opening, it's so UK. Also, I loved the movie too, it's actually pretty heartwrenching.

So I just encountered the pageender comment skipping bug again.

UE has the updated version of the forum ready to go, with all the current features working and fixing a few persistent bugs.

When would y'all like the upgrade?

I have said it before and I'll say it again: Superman vs the Elite might seriously be the best Superman movie ever.

Not like there's particularly heavy competition.

• No rainbow star

^^ Yesterday? 8D?

I'd like it Monday evening or Tuesday... Er, day

• Crew thankyou goodie bag contained a hammer with a beer opener at the end. Manliest thing ever.

>The motions are too wide, slow and purposeless in general. A modern remake, though, would have the opportunity to call on sword styles from all over the world, perhaps even producing hybrid styles for those immortals who have been particularly long-lived and far abroad.

Alex have you seen the Highlander series? The star, Adrian Paul, was an actual swordmaster and help choreograph the fights. It's not as well told, but I think the sword fights are pretty good there.

Also there's a modern remake but it looks like shit.

Ryan Reynolds is playing Connor.

Everything is terrible.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I haven't seen the series. 

Now I might have to. That said, "swordmaster" is something that appears often in the credits and is almost always a load of droppings, and then there's the question of whether the cameramen and director are skilled enough to actually capture it. Unfortunately, a lot of directors, cameramen and the like don't seem to know how to actually film combat.

To provide an example of an actual swordmaster, the late Bob Anderson was an Olympic fencer who went into fight choreography. His credits include a bunch of Errol Flynn films, the original Star Wars films and Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings -- among others. He erred in terms of accuracy for three understandable reasons:

• The needs of a narrative and a visual presentation always require some degree of alteration, although I'd generally argue that most films, games and the like err too far in favour of visuals, and don't really end up having good combat presentation anyway. 

• Actors have their limitations, although, again, I think most of the time they're given dumb training rather than it actually being too much difficult work. 

• Safety. Some stuff has to be slowed down, altered a bit or entirely cut for the purposes of not maiming your actors or stunties. 

Ignoring that stuff, Bob was one of the few people in the business who legitimately knew his stuff and worked to create fights that blended the needs of cinema and realism together, especially as he became more experienced. I still feel he erred a bit too far out of realism, but that's more a comment on my taste than his technical capacity to teach with a sword and translate that onto camera. The point here is that he had the skills and knew how to use them in order to produce something visually exciting without losing the illusion of reality. 

The wider issue here is how choreography is run in Hollywood, where a small group of highly-paid elites set the standards for how things are "supposed" to look. Given that these people are highly influential in deciding which new talent will come to inherit their position, you can see that lip service and following the straight and narrow is a better way to find success than accuracy, creativity and telling directors to use some longer goddamn shots. With less camera shaking. Tracking would be good from time to time. 

To this day, the original Star Wars films are ones I hold in perhaps highest regard for their blend of entertainment, character internalisation and relative accuracy in the fights. This was a series of films where technical skill, theoretical knowledge and creativity came together beautifully to give us some of the most characterful, memorable and plausible sword duels in cinematic history. Despite the fact that they have lazor swords pew pew. 

I got a bit off track there.

I'll make sure to check out the Highlander series sometime. 

• a little muffled

I was going to do something for my hundredth thread here, but then I forgot about I was on 99 and made the Time of Eve thread.

So this post will have to suffice.

woo a hundred threads

Should have done a non-round number instead.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

My first contact with the highlander series was with the tv series. Then I watched the original film. And I haven't touched any of the other sequels.

• edited 2012-08-20 15:39:46
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Turns out my advisor is expecting me to go almost-cold-contact people at various thinktanks in order to get information for my research project.

...eep.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Most awkward thing I had to experience this week: riding an elevator with a couple making out.

• JHMJHM
    Here, There, Everywhere

I had a lymph node biopsy a few days ago. Now I have a scar and a weird numb-ish patch under my chin. Also, a sore throat, which is bothersome. Feel kind of drained.

Good news is that considering how much the blasted thing shrank in the weeks before they cut it out, everyone's pretty sure it wasn't lymphoma. Bad news is, until the tests are over, what it was is still a mystery. Story of my life, ladies and gentlemen...

I didn't post this in the Negative Emotions thread because I don't feel especially negative about it, in case anyone is wondering.

Well, hope you feel better anyway, physically and worry-wise.

• Could you elaborate on your project?

• edited 2012-08-20 21:17:23
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Trying to figure out how and where to stuff fifty gigatons of carbon from the atmosphere into plants and soil.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Spent most of my last day before I leave for London playing Halo Reach and Madden 2012 and Modern Warfare 2 with a couple of bros and my sisters, and getting one of said bros into Gravity Falls.

Good day, but the nervousness is kind of starting to set in.