If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Man what is it with horrible shows having great soundtracks.

Look at Sky Girls ferchrissakes.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Every time I consider getting back into Dark Souls, the PS3 controller is missing. I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

To buy the PC version?

• I know BSG has a great soundtrack despite never having seen it because Bear McCreary is one of my favorite modern composers, period (and that's basically where he got his start, yeah?)...but I think you're one of the first people I've seen calling it a bad show.

BSG gets off to a pretty decent start, but consistently goes downhill. Opinions vary on where it starts being outright awful, but it definitely does at some point.

• Man what is it with horrible shows having great soundtracks.

Look at Sky Girls ferchrissakes.

But I thought you liked Sky Girls.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Liking something=/=thinking it's good.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I kind of really like the Super Mario Brothers film. 

It's super horrible but that doesn't make a lick of difference. 

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    leaving for the airport

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
  • ^^^ And I have still never seen a good reason why that actually matters in 99% of the discussions in which people say that.

For the purposes of recommendation. Something considered to have stronger objective elements will be more appealing to a wider audience, so it can be more easily and reliably recommended. Something that just happens to suit your tastes can't, which is why K-On! is for moefans while Haruhi is for everyone. 

• edited 2012-08-21 13:54:34
    There is love everywhere, I already know

K-On! is for moefans

I thought K-On was for everybody who ever cherished their friends?

• edited 2012-08-21 13:49:51
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^^^Rock on Forzare.

^K-on is for anyone who appreciates joy.

K-On! is for moefans

everybody who ever cherished their friends

K-on is for anyone who appreciates joy

case in point

• edited 2012-08-21 14:14:28

^^^^ Except that's silly.  Everyone has their own tastes, so if they're asking for recommendations, you should take into account what those tastes are.

Also, if you want to guess how likely a random person is to like something, it'd make more sense to go by how popular (or at least, how similar to things that are popular) it is rather than how actually good it is.  Because it's a fact that a metric fuckton of people like Twilight, even though it's not a good book.

Or rather (I say, even though this has nothing to do with my last two paragraphs... >.>), I don't mean that there's no point in being concerned with how good or bad something is (in particular, obviously it matters if you're seriously criticizing something), but a lot of the time people care too much about it in contexts where it doesn't really matter, is all.

Bad stuff that gets super popular gets there largely through pandering to a specific audience. Teenage girls have limited access to their parents' disposable income, certainly enough to buy a series of books (and I'm sure their parents are pleased for them to take an interest in reading, too). Even people who are otherwise very sensible can fall victim to strong enough pandering. I mean, our culture in general throws a lot of emphasis on finding "the one", and women have twice that pressure on them because of the emphasis on romance in the particularly feminine portion of our culture. So when Twilight is four books of nothing but shamelessly indulging that fantasy, while being both an easy read and avoiding sexual guilt, it doesn't surprise me when it's super-popular. 

Something good that really lasts appeals more powerfully to universal human needs. Star Wars is a good example, since we've all been Luke Skywalker at some point -- dissatisfied with life with a better one leering on the horizon, waiting for something amazing to happen. Male, female, gentile, Jew, we've all been there (or are still there), so it's very easy to empathise with that and feel immense pleasure when Luke's journey gets into swing. And there's a lot going on in Star Wars, too, because it touches on themes of anger, redemption, growth and incest. 

For as distancing as intellectual mumbo-jumbo can often appear, it's generally an attempt to discuss why something maintains such broad appeal over time and why it's so important as part of our culture. I kind of suspect that Twilight is very unique to this era because of how contemporary sexual values are clashing with the continued deification of the attractive, virginal woman and the general religious confusion of the USA in particular. 

> But I thought you liked Sky Girls.

Uh...not really.

Well, I like it only so much as that I express fan-awareness of it, and appreciate what it's good for.  It's good as a very relaxing cute little slice-of-life show about characters in the context of a military setting and save-the-world story.

That's not to say it's anywhere near perfect; the character designs exhibit a nearly-absurd amount of sexual dimorphism (can you believe Ryohei is younger than the twins?), the pacing is quite slow, and the show incorrectly bills itself as an action show.

I asked UE about the updated version of the board, and he says he's gonna try to iron out one last bug--the search feature--before rolling out the new board.

• a little muffled

Does this mean we'll finally get a search that includes titles?

Also: my brother decided to start downloading WoW for some reason and now my Doctor Who downloads have slowed down even more than they already had. Doesn't look like I'll be watching any more for a while...

• You can change. You can.

^^^ And I have still never seen a good reason why that actually matters in 99% of the discussions in which people say that.

Pretty sure that was entirely relevant in the context of "Here's a show that's awful but has a feature I like"

BSG gets off to a pretty decent start, but consistently goes downhill. Opinions vary on where it starts being outright awful, but it definitely does at some point.

To me it was season 1 episode 1 season ep 4-ish? I just kinda realized I didn't care for anyone on the show except for maybe the dude who was stranded on New Caprica so I quit. It's just...there's nothing really going on and the main presence of the show (Adama) goes away and the characters become suddenly bland and it was just a drag to watch really.

I watched through season 3, but I don't think I actually enjoyed much of season 3...I kept watching in the hopes that it would improve because I'd already bought it :/

• I'm a damn twisted person

I thought K-On was for everybody who ever cherished their friends?

Question, is there every any real conflict in the friendship, like fights or squabbles? Because, this is me being a grump more than anything, it's hard to buy friendship stories where folks all get along and shit. Friendship(for me) is all about knowing enough about a person to infuriate you or clashing with them, but still having some part of them that overrules that and makes it worth dealing with them.

• edited 2012-08-22 01:48:55

There are a couple episodes that are vaguely like that, but for the most part no not really.

When I am sleepy, the wisest thing to do is to go to sleep quickly because having nothing immediately to do just allows me to waste time.  When I am sleepy, the wisest thing to do is to go to sleep quickly because having nothing immediately to do just allows me to waste time.  When I am sleepy, the wisest thing to do is to go to sleep quickly because having nothing immediately to do just allows me to waste time.

• edited 2012-08-22 01:57:38
    There is love everywhere, I already know

^^^ So it's more a rose colored view of friendship? A more realistic example would be Hyouka or well, Generic Shonen (It's what the genre does best).

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    so

i'm in london now????
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

????? what

get me a muffin while you're over there

• You can change. You can.

and some fish and chips

• go to abbey road

bring the scottish under your rule with skill and steel

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Okay, work story time.

So, it's Book Week this week. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I do believe it has something to do with books. It probably involves reading them.

Anyway, that part is not important. What is important is that pretty much every pre-schooler and kindergartener in the town has been reading the same story, in preschool/kindergarten; a story about a bear called Walker Bear.

So, as happens every year, one of the library staff volunteers/is chosen to wear a suit, of the character that the children have been reading. Last year, for example, it was Olivia- the little pig, if anyone has caught the TV show or read one of the books while caring for little kids.

This year, the character was Walker Bear. And I volunteered to wear the suit.

Anyway, just getting into the suit requires some shenanigans; I am kind of skinny, so I have to wear a suit so that I can fit into the fat suit to fit into the bear suit. Then, the feet are not actually connected, so I have to kind of shamble like a zombie so that the velcro connecting the feet to the costume doesn't unzip and reveal my pants legs to the children (I am just slightly too tall for the costume). And the mask/head is kind of heavy, and it gets really, really hot. And I get an itchy nose, every time.

So, at twelve o'clock, I had my first showing. I put on my suit with assistance from one of the other staff, and wandered out. There were two schools worth of little kids in there; I believe they were the Scots School and Bathurst Primary, but I may be mistaken.

Anyway, the kids that weren't from Scots were dressed up in various costumes. So, I walked out as all the little kids were roaring like bears (It was a bear hunt; they had to get the bear to come out. The roars were my cue to come out), and I stood there and waved with goofy oversized bear arms.

Then, my coworker, who is an evil evil woman, turned to the little kids, and said "Who wants to ask Walker Bear a question?"

For additional context; when I am in the costume, I am not supposed to speak. In fact, I have to hold the mask in place so it does not fall off whenever I move, leaving me with only one free arm.

A little kid pipes up: "Walker Bear, do you like Spider-man?"

I was silently swearing at my co-worker as I sort of awkwardly bowed a couple of times, trying to indicate that the bear was nodding. The kids all chuckled.

Then the next kid piped up: "Do you like princesses?"

I nodded again, but now, the kids were getting into it. They all started asking at once:

"Do you like unicorns?"
    "Do you like Transformers?"
    "Do you like honey?"
    "Do you like pink?"

So I kind of stood there, awkwardly nodding, until my co-worker took pity on me and told all the kids to line up for hugs.

Now, for the most part, these kids ranged in age from about 3-6. So they were tetchy- only a few even came up to my stomach.

So, I had to stand there and try to hug all these little kids, dressed in a bear suit. I couldn't even see the short ones; the really short ones, the bear's arms didn't even reach them, so I had to kinda bend over and just pat them on the head.

Anyway, near the end, one little girl came up to me. She held up a book about a friendly bear, and really shyly, she said "I found a book about you, Walker Bear." And then she kinda hugged my leg and then ran off giggling.

tl;dr bear suit shenanigans in a library with preschoolers are surprisingly endearing.