If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-08-18 10:55:24
    Has friends besides tanks now

Mm. If I ever end up DMing for a group at college, things will be waaaaay different on my end, regardless of which edition we end up playing (hopefully 4e, because I still think it's consistently more fun than 3.5). I'll try to keep things moving (and it'll help if all the players aren't using pdfs and therefore in access to their collection of stupid Internet images), and I'll probably be less of a dick most of the time. And we'll probably mostly or all have jobs and schoolwork, so we wouldn't necessarily have time to stay up all night.

Big groups will always be a complication, but I'm generally not opposed to it.

Battles against many, many enemies tend to run for a long time, even with DM fudging and rolling for multiple enemies at once, because that's the way large-scale encounters are set up.

I dunno, I feel like immediately having to deal with that many enemies would either be anticlimactic because the wizard destroys half of them in the first turn, or immediate tedium, which could be demoralizing. Well, granted, I did that sort of thing that one time in the Jammies game (which was low-level), but I don't think anyone was displeased with the speed of that encounter. A good DM should at least know how to fire off attacks rapidly within a turn, and assuming I'm not overwhelmed with options, it generally works out fine.

• edited 2012-08-18 10:45:29
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I haven't encountered 16-hour battles or even 16-hour sessions yet, but 12-hour sessions containing like three battles which take 3 or 4 hours each are things I've dealt with...while sleepy.

I think I've mentioned it before, but my first D&D experience was 4 to 6 hour sessions containing one or two battles each.  But later this ballooned into 8 hour sessions, and then 10 and sometimes 12 hour sessions.  I much preferred the first arrangement.  (These were with the same GM.)

That said, if this was a one-time thing as a last hurrah with your buddies, then that makes it more okay.

• edited 2012-08-18 10:45:36
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

If I ever end up DM'ing a game again, I'll be trying to balance the game so that there's two or three encounters a session, and stuff to do between them. That's what, half an hour or more per fight, assuming it's like, 5-8 in an afternoon?

^ Those are heard of, but those session lengths are still pushing it.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Gaming sessions are nice when (1) you have nothing much else to do at the time (i.e. during a holiday period) and (2) they take up a scheduled block of a few hours starting at, say, 8 PM, and ending around midnight.  That's probably the best time for me.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    All Nines - the pdf thing reminds me of a common house rule. Players shall not have build options or gear for their character unless they have a physical source for on hand reference.
  • edited 2012-08-18 10:59:14
    Has friends besides tanks now

If I ever end up DM'ing a game again, I'll be trying to balance the game so that there's two or three encounters a session, and stuff to do between them. That's what, half an hour or more per fight, assuming it's like, 5-8 in an afternoon?

Hmm. I was also in a sort of small group for a runthrough of The Sunless Citadel, and the fights went pretty quickly, allowing us to move through them really fast, so that even 2-3 hour sessions got through three or four fights, and then exploration. But even then there was a tradeoff in that it was "fighter and ranger wreck ALL the kobolds because the casters are level 1".

^ That probably would have been a good idea. But I think I already tried it, and it didn't work out, for whatever reason.

• edited 2012-08-18 10:56:39
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

"If ye wish to play as a caster, ye shall be required to keep a set of palm cards with your spells and their effects to the side, listed in order from A to Z, for easy reference, so as to not slow the pace of the game."

"If ye wish to play as a fighter, ye shall keep a calculator and a copy of your character sheet on hand for easy reference, so as to not slow the pace of the game."

• Has friends besides tanks now

"If ye wish to play as a caster, ye shall be required to keep a set of palm cards with your spells and their effects to the side, listed in order from A to Z, for easy reference, so as to not slow the pace of the game."

That would be a lot of palm cards very quickly, I would think, no matter which edition you play.

I think I just need to get into one of the D&D-esque systems that's better-constructed.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, it would. I think it would be better to get a notebook, with sticky notes on the side with the letters on them, so you could flip to the page easily. Or I think you can get notebooks with tabs with the letters on them premade.

I prefer D&D, just because it's widely known, easily available, and not overly difficult to play once you grasp the fundamentals.

• edited 2012-08-18 11:59:04
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I actually wrote the spells that my first wizard character knew, and their mechanics, into a little examination book, and kept it with my character sheet.  It served as my spellbook...literally.

Also, the idea of one player playing multiple characters is interesting.  Though it might feel odd unless the characters have some sort of connection to each other--basically, it'd work if you're playing something such as the pairs of characters in Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin or the Futami twins from iDOLM@STER.

...oh, dude, playing as a pair of rogues who are expies of the Futami twins...oh my.  First, there's flanking with yourself, then there's the possibility of odd ways to communicate information that one might gain from scouting ahead in a dungeon, and all sorts of other shenanigans...

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

All the talk of overly-long fights makes me want to get my simpler system to a beta-ready state and run a campaign of that instead.

Can always try Risus or something.

Yeah, but that wouldn't give me an extra reason to work on my RPG.

• Lazy day, laundry day. Listening to the new Owl City album, I actually like it when they speed things up a tad and dick around with the pitch to avoid copyright fascists.

They're on the good guys' side regarding copyright?

Okay, I'll wait on looking for a Fireflies download.

• Nope, the uploaders on Youtube do that, not the artist. Still, Owl City is a pretty cool guy, makes summery synth stuff and doesn't afraid of pop collaborations.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Ugh I do not want to go to work tonight.

I'll tell them I'm having my period. You think that'll work?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    IJBM: When you're at a party, and everyone else crashes but you can't sleep.
  • edited 2012-08-18 16:00:47
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

That's why I always bring my kindle to places.

Also, fuck it I'm playing hooky tonight. I'll finish P4A's story mode and get some proper sleep. It's not worth the aggravation. They're gonna fire me come labor day anyways.

• You can change. You can.

Murr. Hope you get a new one soon enough Malk

Nope. I lied. Calling in sick is against company policy so I'm unemployed now.

Time to look around Monster.com and enjoy returning to the NEET life.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Calling in sick is against company policy

The hell?

Can they legally do that?
  • You can change. You can.

So...do you have to go there to report you're sick or something?

That was a joke, mostly for them firing me for calling in sick.

And it's a minimum wage job. They can do whatever the fuck they want to me. Not like I have the money to sue.

• I'm a damn twisted person
    Clockwork Universe - thanks to things like Right To Work laws(yes the title itself seems to be a cruel irony) employers can fire employees pretty much whenever for pretty much any reason.

Malkavian - well make sure to collect unemployment benefits, just as a final fuck you to them. And you know, to still have some money coming in.
  • edited 2012-08-18 21:37:41
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

I doubt I'd qualify but I'll look into it Monday.

There's a part of me that doesn't mind that much since that job was hell and a half, and a vindictive part of me is wondering what they'll do without me tomorrow since the last two sundays I was literally the only guy on register for a good hour at least and the place was packed. And like I said, I probably would have been fired come Labor Day anyhow.

Still, the lack of money will be annoying.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Why Labor Day specifically?

Labor Day is basically when the hours of the shop stop being 24 hours and all the Brooklynite jews go back to the city so they cut on their workforce. 

On reflection they might have just been looking for an excuse to fire me early.

• "so I statted them out as if they were PC's rather than NPC's"

The first thing in the DMG should be "don't do this". Having a party of more than 6 should probably be the second.

Then again, I seem to have just signed up for an 8-player game of the Homestuck Gamma-World mod. I may just drop, as various indicators suggest it's going to be a disaster, and I already have my tabletop fix with the group I just joined. But...Homestuck Gamma World.