If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-08-20 21:56:52
    Has friends besides tanks now

Said my last goodbye to my three closest pals before leaving. Spent the last few hours with them playing a proxy M:tG deck and dominating them in Monopoly.

;_;

Good day, but the nervousness is kind of starting to set in.

Also, the wanting to cry a lot.

• edited 2012-08-20 23:23:33
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Just started watching Daybreakers.

So, it's a high-concept vampire sci-fi movie, where vampires are actually vampires and act like vampires, and the main character is named Edward.

I feel like the original pitch went "fuck Twilight. This is what a vampire is."

• edited 2012-08-20 23:29:30

"fuck Twilight. This is what a vampire is."

Which is silly, because vampires aren't real and lore about them has always been contradictory and mostly stupid.

That said, Daybreakers is a really fun movie and I liked it a lot.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

vampires aren't real and lore about them has always been contradictory and mostly stupid.

That's true, but the stuff in Twilight is even more contradictory and stupid than normal.

>First action sequence

Damn. This is the funnest movie I've seen in awhile.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

Yeah, Daybreakers is great.

is that a crossbow shotgun

IS THAT A CROSSBOW SHOTGUN

This movie is awesome.

• Daybreakers was a really moody, bitter film and I quite liked it.
  • You can change. You can.

blah blah blah core concepts blah blah blah

also i got my first overtly (as opposed to subtly) racist call today. I feel like I have graduated or something.

• I never got the chance to watch it when it came out and I've wanted to ever since. I should check to see if it's available to Netflix-stream...

It is. That's how I'm watching it.

• edited 2012-08-21 00:45:45

How is MS Paint such a bad image editor that it can't even resize images properly?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Define resize properly.

• edited 2012-08-21 01:01:09

Without it looking like shit.  That said, I'm not getting as bad results right now even though I'm doing the same thing, so I don't know what the problem was really.  Still,

this:

does still look a bit worse than this:

But that is just due to lack of options for scaling algorithms I guess.

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Well, that scaling up there does like shit.

• edited 2012-08-21 01:04:05
    There is love everywhere, I already know

I just spent all night reading about Islamophobia, now I'm both depressed and extremely tired.

Goodness Firefox Spell-check bigotry against and fear of of Muslims is not the same as the bigotry against/fear of Homosexuals!

Finished Daybreakers. Damn. That was a good movie.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

For resizing images, I recommend GIMP.

@All Nines: I know that feel, bro.

Personally, I use Fast Stone. GIMP is apparently good for other purposes, but I could never learn how to use the damn thing.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Learn the features one by one.

I only know how to do a few things there, and I learned them one by one.

First, ask someone who knows the program to teach you how to resize.  It's actually quite simple; you load an image into GIMP, then from the Image menu find the resize or "change size" or something option, then pick one of four algorithms for resizing (they make the result look slightly different depending on which you pick) and then save the result in your format of choice.

Then once you've gotten the hang of that, ask someone to each you something else, such as adding a border, or cropping, or using multiple layers.

• edited 2012-08-21 01:47:37
    I have to go attend a change-of-command parade.

Good news: I can go home after it.

Bad news: I don't know how long it's going to be.

Jooooooooy.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

>find a bunch of D&D books in the library, including the Player's Handbook, the Monster Manual, and the Dungeon Master's Guide

yessss

> they're all 4e

noooooo

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Every time I consider getting back into Dark Souls, the PS3 controller is missing. I think the universe is trying to tell me something.

• To stop misplacing your controllers?

That I should stop playing the PS3, obviously.

• Well because of delay after delay because of emergency work, we were late to the change-of-command parade.

So now I'm going home.

I can't say that I'm not overjoyed at this prospect.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

Is it time off, or has your involuntary military service come to an end? 

• I just get the night off. I'll sleep here at home and go back in the morning.

My term ends next February, actually.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Godspeed to that, then. 

On an unrelated note, I found this video just now:

It's a new African sword art reconstructed from traditional stick fighting styles, which strikes me as completely legitimate given how closely swords and staves relate. This is the first video in the series, and so far, I think the best showcase of the art is in the third video. Currently, I've only seen single sword stuff, but that's not unusual; it was only really the Europeans and the Japanese who made a big deal out of two-handed swords, so this fits the more general theme among most cultures of emphasising the one-handed sword. 

To say the least, I think this is pretty cool. Cultures all over the world are rediscovering and reconstructing their native forms of swordsmanship, and Africa is something of a "missing link" case because of the lack of both unbroken martial lineages and the shortage of written material on the matter. Most cultures have at least one, and the lucky ones (such as the Chinese) have both. Africa, as far as I know, has neither, but reconstruction via traditional stick fighting methods is easily the most legitimate and effective way of going about it. 

This is so fucking exciting I don't even know how to computer anymore. Now I'm just waiting for filmmakers and game designers to get with the program and showcase this kind of stuff, since we essentially have styles from every major region in the world that met and passed the Iron Age. 

• You can change. You can.

Man what is it with horrible shows having great soundtracks.

Look at BSG ferchrissakes.