If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Err, really? I've read the Ultimates (Hah, try to act surprised) and there was nothing resembling good writing going on there

From what I remember of Batman: Year One, it wasn't particularly badly written. In fact, it was one of the better comics I've read.

• You can change. You can.

Batman: Year One is by Frank Miller, not by Mark Millar.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

haha derp.

Miller + wanting to make everything grittier for the sake of it = Frank Miller in my mind.

• edited 2012-06-04 03:50:44
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

RE: Tumblr

Merlo/Mellon and I used to be bro and sis, then we had some trivial misunderstanding over affirmative action on old BTL some six months ago. She just up and disappeared and later, since I was curious, I checked out her Tumblr and saw her bitching about the issue. We didn't hear from each other since then.

I e-mailed her some month or two ago in order to try to get back in contact, and she didn't respond. I still feel fucking sad about how the whole thing turned out to be. A shame, really.

Miller + wanting to make everything grittier for the sake of it = Frank Miller in my mind.

They're also both fascist douchebags, which helps a lot with the whole mixing those guys up thing. 

But yeah, Miller used to write good stories. Batman: Year One and Daredevil: Born Again (Malk no malking) are particularly good stories, as I remember them. It's just that as he went along and he became bigger, editors seemed to be more lenient with the stuff he wrote, so he came up with the stupid shit that we all know and love, like "Goddamn Batman" or "Fucking Batgirl"

• Not specific to the social justice thing but it bugs me nonetheless; keyboard warriors who, beyond simply considering people who disagree with them to be horrible, consider people who do agree with them but not with the same ferocity as them as horrible, too.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

I mean, sure. I'm really, really leftist, to the point where some of my RL nicknames include "Comrade" and "Red", but somehow I just can't manage to find a common frequency with the internet social justice crowd, whose ideology seems to be way more emotional than rational. Thanks very much, but I'd prefer to have logical consistency in what I believe, and actually think about it all and come to my own conclusions instead of blindly accepting blanket, dogmatic statements.

• Meh, echo chamber effect and the fact that Tumblr makes a pretty good target for concern trolls(since it's bound to set of a chain reaction in the community) probably reinforces some of the extreme positions. Mind you, arguing from a marginalized position takes the patience of a saint and having an opinion ignored on the basis of incivility is often interpreted as 'I can't deny your experience on the basis of anything else, so I'll just dismiss it based on tone'.

A good rule of thumb for me has always been 'do they make it about the belief/statement or do they make it about the person'.

• Mark Millar also did JLA: Paradise Lost, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and Old Man Logan, all of which I enjoyed. But anyone could have written those stories.
  • I'm a damn twisted person
    Juan - Arizona for the next day or so. Heading home tonight

Re Millar - I love how in the Ultimates he plays up Thor as a total idiot, when Hippie Thor was one of the best parts of the series. And him pretending Hawkeye isn't terrible.
  • edited 2012-06-04 10:18:22
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I wonder if you can still do some GOTV stuff

@INUH: Happy birthday.

• Apparently, the stock market just crashed.

And since the stock market is the earthly manifestation of human hopes and gambles, I guess we are pretty fucked.

Re Millar - I love how in the Ultimates he plays up Thor as a total idiot, when Hippie Thor was one of the best parts of the series. And him pretending Hawkeye isn't terrible.

To be fair, I think most writers do that, though. I mean Stan Lee created him. He can't hate one of his kids!

...well, i guess he could, but it's Stan Lee. He doesn't hate things. He's a being made of love and belief. 

Kraken - links?

Juan - and if you listen to other people in the comic industry, Stan Lee ripped people off about as often as he cameos on movies.
  • I don't actually have links. I'm just looking at my friend's stock market app and the numbers keep going down.
  • edited 2012-06-04 11:06:29
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I think Kraken's talking about the Shanghai stock market, whose Shanghai Composite Index fell 64.89 points.

Edit: Oh, never mind.

• edited 2012-06-04 11:10:03
    Diet NEET

The oft-forgotten Dutch pirate party is asking for board members. Not sure if to apply, since it's bound to be a disorganized hive of internet in-jokes and 'ephebophiliacs'.

>Promo material features a My Little Pirates t-shirt

Alright, worth a shot.

• The Singapore stock market isn't doing too good either, it dropped about 64-65 points before closing, too. And from what I hear you westerners aren't doing too good neither.

I actually haven't lived in Shanghai for a couple of years.

Juan - and if you listen to other people in the comic industry, Stan Lee ripped people off about as often as he cameos on movies.

Links plz

• edited 2012-06-04 11:47:30
    Champion of the Whales

The LSX is closed today for obvious reasons

Juan - no links on hand and like I said if you believe other comic industry folks. All I've heard are rumors.
  • edited 2012-06-04 12:04:28
    Has friends besides tanks now

Everest, how does this match up to the show.

One Piece is damn sad sometimes (when an adventure comic runs to 669 chapters, that's kind of inevitable, though), but the incidents in that video are too far removed from context to work as they were intended.

• And now I remember I left off right near the end of the Thriller Bark arc.
  • edited 2012-06-04 12:10:03

^ For what it's worth, you've already read/watched the arc that, in my opinion, was the best in the series (Water Seven) (and on that note, one of my only disappointments with the series is that Oda has yet to write another self-contained story arc that was as consistently intense at the beginning), and you're already 3/4 of the way through the series, roughly.

Oh, and in other news, 3DS and high school graduation GET!

• Well, that's fine. I just feel compelled to at least finish the arc I'm on.

And congratulations on your high school graduation.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Grats Everbro!

man i still can't believe some of you are in high school

• edited 2012-06-04 12:27:10

Well, that's fine. I just feel compelled to at least finish the arc I'm on.

Well, I would definitely recommend that you read as far as it's gone, but I'm a fanboy, so of course I'm going to plug it. I just didn't want to do the whole "FINISH IT NOW!" gag, like I've done with Forzabro, in regards to his not finishing K-On!

Also, thanks, guys!

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    yeah I still haven't finished that yet
  • edited 2012-06-04 12:31:10

>:[

I just thought of something, actually: if you come up to Maine at a convenient time during the summer, and we decide to hang out, we can watch it some more, on account of I have the first season on DVD. :D