If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2012-04-20 21:21:15
    We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    I find it odd how choosing to be altruistic, despite the circumstances, fucks up your balance with the Force because you didn't do exactly what your clearly incompetent order tells you to. Do the Jedi have a moral monopoly on the Force or something?
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yeah, my issue with TOR's Jedi stuff is that it enforces a lot of moral choices with mechanical boundaries that are far too clear. Morality is complex, and that's what makes lawful good types like the Jedi interesting -- they have to be good at finding a compromise or some other solution. 

The Jedi-related stuff is also pretty sterile. 

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

We're you grouped up when you turned it in?

No, I wasn't. Crake ain't online and you haven't even friended me >:|

Anyway, when I play, I generally like to make up personalities and motivations for my characters, and base my decisions on that rather than Light/Dark.

So do I. That's why I chose the above option, rather than the Light-Side option; I thought it fit her better, as she's trying to help the worlds she visits as much as possible.

I find it odd how choosing to be altruistic, despite the circumstances, fucks up your balance with the Force

You're looking at it wrong. The Jedi aren't altruistic. Doing the wrong things, such as lying, extorting things, and otherwise taking immoral actions leads you down the Dark Side of the Force. They are so rigid because if they aren't rigid, the temptation can get too much for them. It's a slippery slope; telling a little lie here to help this person out makes it easier to tell a bigger lie next time.

It's mentioned in the fluff for Jedi Consulars that, even despite trying to keep a lid on their passions as much as they can, even just their searches for enlightenment can lead them to the Dark Side.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

>Yeah, my issue with TOR's Jedi stuff is that it enforces a lot of moral choices with mechanical boundaries that are far too clear. Morality is complex, and that's what makes lawful good types like the Jedi interesting -- they have to be good at finding a compromise or some other solution. 

This is really why I hate moral choice systems because even if you do 'alternate' morality like in Mass Effect or Catherine it's still way too rigid.

• edited 2012-04-20 21:31:25
    We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    ^^ So it's more of an Order/Chaos thing than a Good/Evil thing?
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

It's more of a Dark/Light dichotomy. They can't afford themselves a grey moral view, because that leads them into temptation regarding the Dark Side. They have to remain as pure as they can.

• You can change. You can.

I don't dislike moral choice systems, but I think that pretending that they're really choices and/or exercises on free will is pretentious, really.

took a nap at seven pm. i think i have just mathematically proved that i am capable of the worst curse of action.

• edited 2012-04-20 21:35:22
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^^^ I know I keep saying this, but you should try The Witcher. It has moral choices, but they're not related to any system. Events change in the game, but you might have to wait whole chapters until your choices make any difference. The choices are really about how you actually feel about the conflict at hand, what you want and what you want for the other people involved. 

• The whole internet has been so boring all day wow.

Seeing a person from this forum on a different forum, starting a thread that was apparently inspired by one here is a weird experience.

Why does it seem like every file hosting site now caps their download speeds at, like, 30~50 kbps?  (answer: because they do)

Today I read a manga about a man who has sex with a chicken and then it has babies and then he kills them.  And it is still not the weirdest thing I read today. 

• I'm a damn twisted person

I found a knife today. 

• We have reviewed your resume' and we find you delicious.
    What was it doing?

Seeing a person from this forum on a different forum, starting a thread that was apparently inspired by one here is a weird experience.

Tis indeed. 

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Question for someone who's seen either or both: would I have to watch Index to make sense of Railgun, or vice-versa?
  • edited 2012-04-20 22:58:59

Nope.

Railgun has characters from Index (and the second season of Index has some characters from Railgun, I think), but the story is pretty much totally separate, from what I understand.

At any rate, I watched Railgun without watching Index, and I didn't have any problems understanding anything. 

Cool. Thanks!

Welp, I've been playing Tor for five hours straight. Time to take a break.

Today on The Way People Treat You When You're A Longhair:

Sometimes, people will offer to smoke LSD with you for no reason and with no previous contact. 

smoke...lsd...?

Apparently you can do that. I've never had the pleasure of trying LSD, though, so I wouldn't be familiar with the details. 

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

pleasure of trying LSD

Wait a second.

pleasure

Goddamn junkies flooding my streets.

I'm not a junkie. 

Merely an enthusiast.

• edited 2012-04-21 00:28:47
    He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

And I am not a videogame junkie, nor an anime junkie, nor a police procedural junkie, nor an oxygen junkie.

I am still LoGH junkie though

Watched episode 7 on NGE.

All this time I spent putting it off, and I'm met with a goddamn stupid episode like that?

Well, I guess I'll press on.
  • A Mind You Do NOT Want To Read

After some of my RL friends discussed it with me, I am passively supporting the legalisation of marijuana under tight control. I don't support any other illicit drugs, though, and I am anti-tobacco as well.

• edited 2012-04-21 00:47:39
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I'd passively support its legalization if it didn't reek so much. I love the smell of secondhand cigarette smoke, though, and don't mind it being legal even though I don't plan on actually taking up smoking.
  • edited 2012-04-21 00:47:52
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Alex: I wouldn't do it without people I trust, honestly.

I don't think I need to state my opinion of legalizing a good deal of drugs.

• edited 2012-04-21 00:49:58
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ The reek isn't so much the issue. 

Marijuana is proven to be less harmful than tobacco and alcohol, for one thing. For another, legalising and regulating marijuana would severely damage the drug trade. If governments really wanted to eradicate drug abuse, they'd legalise them, regulate them and then perhaps ban them after monopolising drug industries. That last part could backfire, but the rest would allow governments to keep tabs and who is and is not consuming drugs, how much they're taking within certain periods, the content of said drugs and more. 

• No rainbow star

Alex's avatar has been there long enough that my brain has forgotten to ignore the middle finger and it is now like a black hole for my attention and god it's drawing me in halp

I really couldn't care less about health effects and legalization methods. All I know is that I remember some times when I'd smell something unpleasant, and then someone pointed out to me that it's weed.

In other words, just my own reasons.

• Welp, I've been playing Tor for five hours straight. Time to take a break.

Oh please. Come back when you've spent 12 hours straight playing Star Wars Galaxies.

jesus christ what was i thinking