If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Makes me wonder who this person is. :)

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    I want to call troll on that blog but it actually seems too lazy to be a troll.
  • No rainbow star
    I heard a homeless person on the street wonder out loud, "Why does the drop in center not have a bar!? We wouldn't have to leave then!"

Note to self: If he ever asks me for donations, only give him gift cards or offers to buy him food
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Generally only offer them food. That way you're certain it won't go to alcohol or drugs.
  • You can change. You can.

Yeah, that's what I always do, really.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I just wanna say that My Strange Addiction is pretty much the worst show I've ever sat down and watched.
  • No rainbow star
    Next month bus prices are going up to $8

>:| Dammit City of Airdrie, the buses are at full capacity and this is the response?

Also: Out of seats so I'm sitting on the floor. It's an hour long bus ride fuck standing especially with this backpack
  • edited 2012-03-21 17:32:06
    Has friends besides tanks now

Just today did I notice how many people roll up their sleeves when they wear flannel.

I have to say, it looks much better.

EDIT: Don't know how I managed to forget this of all things, but my Tyki Mikk cosplay came in today! Fuck yeah! >:3

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur
    The ambassador of Israel came to our school to watch another class' presentation on anti-semitism, complete with a heavily armed entourage. I'm pretty sure that is illegal, but what can be done when the principal is a total megalomaniac desperate to gain political connections. I mean, two months ago she invited the fucking Patriarch for the school's Patron Saint day. Of course, he (probably) feigned illness and sent one of his bishops. I mean, it's just a very average public high school, why would she think that it's appropriate to invite important public figures for completely trivial events?
  • Has friends besides tanks now

Holy crap. That's pretty interesting, though.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

Think of it this way: even your local equivalent of the effing Pope is only important enough to be allowed into your school once a year. You? You visit it daily.

So, is it bad that I've only heard back from one college so far, and that's the one that I didn't apply to way back in December?

They're all too shy to call you. That one that called is obviously a jerk.

But I like that college! :(

• On episode 13 of Gurren Lagann.

Post-haircut Nia is extremely cute.  Not that she wasn't cute before.

Bandai Entertainment sucks at making DVDs, as always.  Episode 5 wouldn't play for 10 seconds without skipping.

I still can't hear Rossiu speak without imagining that he's Itsuki Koizumi.  I guess that's what happens when Haruhi was the first show I watched with Johnny Yong Bosch in it. 

This show is actually quite good, which I was really not expecting at all due to all the hype about it that portrays it as nothing but lots of screaming and exploding.  This last sentence is a little dishonest since I'd also been assured on multiple occasions that it's better than that, but still...

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Nah. I've only heard from one of the five colleges I applied to so far.

And I'm pretty sure each college sends out all of their own admissions decisions at the same time.
    ^^ I love me some Gurren Lagann.

And I used to hear JYB as only Koizumi no matter what he was in, but then I watched Code Geass and now all I can ever hear is LELOUCH VI BRITANNIA.

I should watch that again.

I can't imagine JYB as Itsuki.

^^ Which college did you hear back from?

^ Emerson College.

I liked JYB as Koizumi, but now it's weird to hear him in a major role where he isn't always yelling.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

The thing about TTGL's portrayal from the perspective of the fanbase is that it follows the rules of any other series/film/game. What makes the explosions and screaming awesome isn't themselves alone, but the emotional investment attached to them. You know, like the final showdown between Luke and Vader in Star Wars. It's a pretty good fight scene on its own merits, but it's so much more powerful because we've spent time with these characters and they've become relevant to us. 

TTGL's battles are really silly and ridiculous, but they work because we become endeared to the characters and their struggles. What's often ignored about TTGL is the strength of its characters, but that's what really makes the explosions, screaming and interdimensional fuckpunching more than entertainment. That interdimensional fuckpunch has meaning behind it's given relevance by the plot and characters. I mean, as cool as the fight scene between Aragorn and the leader Uruk Hai in Fellowship is, it's not particularly well-remembered. The villain doesn't mean a whole lot to us. But everyone remembers Helm's Deep, because it's so focused on the characters we know, there are children at stake and yadda yadda yadda. 

Basically, TTGL starts by succeeding at characterisation which then allows us to accept stupid action sequences. 

• edited 2012-03-21 18:20:17

^^ Nice. So the acting thing checked out, then?

Suddenly, ninja'd by Madagraphs.

^ nope. Didn't get accepted there.

I've still got Ithaca and NYU and BU on that front, though, and Northeastern for a less theater-oriented fallback. Haven't heard from them yet, though, so lolidunno.

^^ That. It helps that it starts out smaller scale too, and gets bigger and bigger as the characters are developed.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.

I type at the speed of interdimensional fuckpunch.

• Well, I mostly accept the stupid action sequences in Gurren Lagann because they're very well-animated and the mecha designs are wacky and colorful and I sure love wacky colorful things.  The characterization is good too though.  

• edited 2012-03-21 18:30:08
    That's too bad about the acting thing. Yeah, those were some of the colleges I meant. So, presumably they're still sorting shit out. Though apparently BU wanted either two SAT Subject Tests or the ACT, on top of the SAT, so I doubt I'm in.
  • a little muffled

Rossiu was the first JYB role I saw, but then TTGL was the second anime I ever watched dubbed (and third anime I watched ever), so.

• edited 2012-03-21 18:37:35

I sure do hope 4Kids paid the voice actors extra to sing those incredibly cheesy Pokemon songs, especially Pokemon Christmas Bash.

• You can change. You can.

I really enjoyed TTGL, but that's because lolexistentialism.

• edited 2012-03-21 18:43:22
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

^^Dude, I'd have a blast singing that stuff.

^TTGL is actually much smarter than a lot of people (and its fans) give it credit for.

• edited 2012-03-21 18:50:56
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

TTGL is actually much smarter than a lot of people (and its fans) give it credit for

Indeed. The use of spiral symbolism on its own is far better-constructed than I expected going in.