If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• I am Dr. Ned who is totally not Dr. Zed in disguise.
    On the plus side from the the 1st of Jan, there will be no battery farmed hens in the UK.

On the minus side this doesn't equate to free range, just a bigger cage. 
  • It's not just avenues you have to worry about.
    How did I read this as a reference to myself?
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    So yeah, after years of enjoying WoW, I think a few days of playing The Old Republic has finally killed it for me.

(blah blah blah wow was never good blah blah blah the gameplay isn't that different blah blah blah I don't care)
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Argh, I still don't have TOR...I miss my Sith Warrior T_T
  • edited 2011-12-29 15:12:07
    ^^ It being similar to (read: almost exactly the same as) WoW was part of the appeal.
    ^ I miss my Sith Sorceror.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I miss my KotOR gameplay mechanics.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I actually like that it's not too far off from WoW. It feels familliar, and I'm not a lost as I would be if they went in with the mindset of CHANGE EVERYTHING.

But the little things that are different (no auto-attack, generally fighting groups of enemies instead of one at a time) and the big things (story and the way that it's told, for instance) make me enjoy it a lot more than WoW.

Also, it's pretty much the first RPG that's ever really inspired me to role-play. Most games, my characters are either BIGGEST DOUCHE IN THE GALAXY FOR ALL THE DARKSIDE POINTS or STUPIDLY NICE TO EVERYONE. But here I'm actually trying to develop character for my toons. Like one of my mains: my Light Side Sith Inquisitor: he hates the Sith, so he mouths off to them as much as he can without getting himself killed, but he goes along with the training and does evil things now and then so that one day he can try to help take them down from the inside.

I might make a thread later to gather all of my TOR thoughts in one place.
  • I like those changes a lot more too. Now if only there was a F2P option...
    Yeah, it would be nice if, say, you could play the first planet for each class (or only Republic or something) for free, but I can see something like that coming eventually.
  • You can change. You can.
    guys guys guys i need help

how do you apply to an american university
  • I'd hope so. After all, even WoW has a limited F2P version.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    Juan_Carlos: Which one? Most universities will have specific instructions for international students, depending on which university you're applying to. 
  • edited 2011-12-29 15:58:51
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    ^^^ I'd help, but I dunno.

On TOR, I dislike its WoWness because KotOR 1 and 2 were so great. With three basic classes and three Jedi classes one could nevertheless build one of a startling array of characters. It was great because your class only decided how far certain skills or feats could go, not which ones you could or could not take. It was a modular, game-length character building process as you went through the story.

But now, with TOR, the class system railroads character builds. Yes, there is a degree of choice, but we're still talking standard skill trees. In KotOR, there were no skill trees; you had skills, which had a numerical value, and you had feats. Many feats had two or three levels, and some had others as prerequisites, but there was no concept of particular feats truly being more heavily advanced than others. It was all about the build you wanted and where that build would get you.

For instance, rather than having a class for dual wielding, dual wielding had a universal inherent penalty. This could be reduced a number of ways:

- Using a lighter weapon in the off hand.
    - Taking the feat that would reduce this penalty, which came in three levels.
    - Taking a further feat which gave bonuses to your attacks, but only while dual-wielding.

Or perhaps you'd rather excel with a single saber? That's fine, too, and there were feats that supported that. The rest of your feat expendature could be anything, from taking more advanced attack types to getting bonuses on skill checks to dealing better with droids. Then you had a similar amount of choice when it came to Force powers. Nevermind that, from beginning to end, you could define your character's physical and mental attribute levels.

And then TOR. Rigid classes, loot and skill trees.

y u do dis, Bioware?
  • edited 2011-12-29 16:00:26
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I miss my KotOR gameplay mechanics.
    Eh. I love KotOR, but its gameplay has the same problems that happen in every attempt to make a straight port of D&D to a realtime videogame.

Ninja'd. Looks like you're talking more about customization, which I do agree about.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    I don't even really like D&D much, but I'll take a port of D&D mechanics over standard MMO mechanics any day. For all its failings as a tabletop roleplaying game, D&D does give a huge amount of player choice compared to most video games. And any game can be awesome if the right GM -- or the right story to tell, as KotOR proved.
    Juan_Carlos: Which one? Most universities will have specific instructions for international students, depending on which university you're applying to. 

I'm checking North Carolina at Chapel Hill, but it doesn't make sense at all and all I want is to see the deadlines to see if I can apply at all. ;_;
  • edited 2011-12-29 16:03:08
    ^^Yeah, see my edit. I absolutely agree on the customization part.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    let me check. Are you an undergrad, a graduate, or are you transferring?
  • Has friends besides tanks now
    @Juan_Carlos: You should start looking at New England universities instead. >_>
    butbutbut studying with you would be all weird and stuff D:

Although I've been considering the north east. It's just that a friend of a friend of a friend who knows a friend who might be a friend with someone who is a friend recommended me Chapel Hill and talked about reduced prices.
  • edited 2011-12-29 16:43:42
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    RE: MMO style talent trees being all railroady and bad:

Eh, even if you had something more generalized like in KOTOR, you'd still end up with the same situation. People would still do the math to find out exactly which feats/skills/powers will optimize to produce the best possible DPS/Healing/Tanking. Everyone would still be railroaded if they want to be competitive, whether it's got talent trees or not.

Also, eight classes means (from what I've seen anyway) eight high quality storylines, meaning a ton of content. And there's enough variability in each class to be enough for me. If I'm a Sith Inquisitor, I can be a Darth Maul-style double-ended lightsaber damage dealer badass, I can be a dual lightsaber evasion tank, I can go all Emperor Palpatine and base myself around force lightning DPS, or I can be a healer/buffer.

TLDR what works in a single player RPG or small group of players won't necessarily work in an MMO.
    IJBM: Subscription-based scientific journals.

i do not like them
  • edited 2011-12-29 16:45:45
    ^^I feel like customization would be more viable had they not insisted on using the WoW combat system.
    I still think there would be an element of community enforced railroading as long as your choices have an effect on the effectiveness of your character in raid situations.
    If the system were such that skill was more important, that wouldn't have to be the case.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Goddamit, don't you guys make me want to play Old Republic too. After WoW I don't want to commit to another MMO that isn't WoW.
    WE SHOULD ALL PLAY AND FORM A GUILD

Anyway, yeah, I like it better than WoW, and I played that for a long time.
    Maybe once it goes free-to-play. I can't really afford it now.
  • Same here, INUH.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^^That's the other reason, if I went back to WoW I'd have a great guild to go back to. Then again several of my old guildies were excited for TOR...

Hmmm..