If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Boston Caret University. Doesn't sound too bad, actually.
  • I need to go and download Unlimited Blade Works some time, now that I finished the regular series (and I hear it's better anyway, which is good).

Just a shame it hasn't been dubbed yet. Liam O'Brien, -dreamy sigh-
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^No, actually the UBW movie is pretty bad from what I hear.
  • So long as I don't have to put up with as much of Shirou's bullshit "I love you Sabreeeeee" whining, I'm sold.

Besides, I'd watch the whole thing for Archer alone.
  • a little muffled
    I thought the UBW movie was supposed to be good, but completely incomprehensible without playing the game.
  • edited 2011-12-18 20:47:01
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    ^ That's pretty much how I felt about it.

It would have been waaaay better as a series, and they kind of skipped over the most powerful moment in the whole route, but the action was great and I enjoyed it for what it was.
  • How much moeshit is there in Fate/Stay Night?

Because it sounds... really stupid, honestly, so there would need to be lots of moe service for me to have any interest in it.  Several characters from it are really popular, so I assume there has to be some amount, but... is it enough?

^In the main series? Not so much, but it's there in the extra series (though its usually part of some sort of gag).

Which is perfectly fine by me.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Depends what you find endearing in women. It doesn't seem to be working off moe principles to me, though. But let's not have that debate again.

Unless Batman.
    ^Fuck you Alex for putting the image of moe Batman in my head.
    The little bit of it that I've seen left me with the impression that it's really shonen-y (plus sex scenes in the visual novel). Therefore, I'm not interested. How much more is there to it than just fighting?
  • You can change. You can.
    Unless Batman. 

that's still the most hilarious discussion we've had so far
  • edited 2011-12-18 20:59:39
    One foot in front of the other, every day.
    The plot is duel-centric (being a sort of secret, deadly tournament of arcane warriors), but the action isn't overbearing. It's a character-driven story. Which makes a strange kind of sense, given the predisposition for the original visual novel to justify sex scenes.

^ Seconded. I have fond memories of that. :D
    A lot of it is Nasu spouting words, in a good way. The whole thing feels more "classy" (barring sex scenes) than your average shounen.

Then again, I still like shounen to an extent so I'm biased when it comes to fighting.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Also, the action in the series is lots of fun, for what that's worth. Fast-paced, not overly prolonged, and with a sense of force and intent.
    The only shonen I like is One Piece, and that may be more due to how long I've stuck with it than anything.

I'm not interested in duel-centric series, but if the characters are compelling, i might give it a shot.

I'll probably watch the second half of Nichijou and Future Diary first, though.
  • edited 2011-12-18 21:04:22
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^^Agreed, the action is top notch.

Also, I know I sound like a broken record, but try reading the actual VN or find Seorin's LP of it. The anime, while not objectively terrible, loses a lot of the impact the VN had. Mostly due to not knowing what's going on in Shirou's head.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Yeah, I can imagine that he'd come off as even more of a complete dumbass if you can't see his thought processes.
  • I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the visual novel, because visual novel.

Anyway, duel-centric isn't necessarily bad.  After all, Utena was about duels.  Then again, Fate/Stay Night is almost certainly not on the same level as Utena.

But still, I guess if the fights aren't actually the focus of the story, then it might be fine.

And of course if any of the characters are sufficiently moe, then the other flaws in the series can probably be excused.  After all, I even managed to like Nanoha A's, because Fate was in it.

• "And of course if any of the characters are sufficiently moe, then the other flaws in the series can probably be excused."

...elaborate.

• edited 2011-12-18 21:57:32
    I mean that if I like a character enough, I'll put up with an otherwise-crappy show so that I can see that character more.  Like, as I said, I did with Nanoha A's.  The whole thing was just generic shounen crap that I normally wouldn't think twice about dropping immediately, but Fate Testarossa is way too cute for me to completely dismiss the series and in fact because of her I ended up liking it.

Same goes for plenty of other shows that I didn't like except for one character.
  • edited 2011-12-18 21:31:34
    Has friends besides tanks now
    In that case, I rescind my previous comments about Infinite Stratos; there's one character there who happens to be really likable, but the rest is basically crap.
  • edited 2011-12-18 22:02:22
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    All I think of when I think of FSN is:
    * Saber, who is a popular character for some reason
    * Unlimited X Works meme
    * vandro

> "I love you Sabreeeeee"

I admit this is the first time I wondered about how onomatopoeic spelling extensions would apply to words with multiple spellings.

> if I like a character enough, I'll put up with an otherwise-crappy show so that I can see that character more

I misread this as "so that I can see that character moë".

^ Watch Stratos 4 instead
  • edited 2011-12-18 22:02:13
    ^^ Of course, I have less of an interest in watching Infinite Stratos right now than I did before.  Watching Amaenaide Yo! is fulfilling my need for shitty ecchi anime quite nicely, plus I'm watching it with a friend which makes it doubly amusing.  Also, the loli is a ripoff of Ruri Hoshino from Nadesico, which is nice.
  • edited 2011-12-18 22:04:21

"Also, the loli is a ripoff of Ruri Hoshino from Nadesico, which is nice."

Thank you for reminding me why I stay away from the anime fandom.

• If anime fans can only think of characters as archetypes, particularly ones they'd like to FUCK the SHIT out of, that doesn't sound particularly conductive to pleasant conversation.
  • You can change. You can.
    yay, one of my threads was stickied.
  • It's not so much that anime fans can only think of characters in terms of archetypes as it is harem anime characters really are just archetypes, for the most part.
  • But I hear people constantly throw around stuff like "Ooh, she's so tsundere". It's kind of dehumanizing.