If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    All packed up. Just have to wait for my parents to get here and move out.

Sorry to use this as a twitterthread. I have absolutely nothing to do right now.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Don't apologize,this is what this thread is for anyway
    Fair enough :P

Dad will apparently be here in 15 minutes, and I'll have almost an hour to get all my stuff out of here.
  • Can anyone recommend me a story that is told with little to no subtlety, symbolism, has clear-cut good guys and bad guys, and is actually good? I'm pretty sure someone managed to pull that off, but I ask because certain people think that even the slightest bit of ambiguity where you have to fill in the blanks yourself is bad.
  • You can change. You can.
    The original Superman movie? Granted, there is symbolism, but it's pretty clear and unambiguous.
  • edited 2011-12-17 11:54:49
    Hmm...I often get the impression that Superman feels like the relic of a bygone era, mostly since people's faith in the US as a force for good has fallen a lot since then. Though I haven't seen much of modern Superman, so how true is this?
    Superman (And Captain America) fall under the line of patriotic heroes who were created as paragons of what the US should be. 

As to how they are written now...well:

• edited 2011-12-17 12:23:01
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    is that supposed to be bad
    ?
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    fixed
    Ah. No, it's not. It's probably the only good thing to come out of Civil War. My point was that the Cap and Superman are not as in love with America as they're supposed to be.
    I'm home. Still sick, though.

In other news, my parents had an oil painting of me done while I was gone o.O
  • If that means they actually painted it themselves, that is totally awesome.
    No, they had a pro do it. Someone who works for a photo studio we visited a few months ago.
  • Still, traditional oil paintings are cool.
  • We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    In other news, my parents had an oil painting of me done while I was gone o.O

My parents did that for me and my sibings and cousins a couple of years ago. It is awful.
  • What place were they from?
  • Movie night, and no-one shows up. :( Here's hoping it stays that way: I'd rather have a total failure than watch in sad awkwardness with two or three peeps.
  • INUH - It could have been worse; they could have hired Salvador Dali to paint you. You'd probably have ended up as a melting watch or a skull or something.

Addict - Oh, someone else's social life has fallen through? I was supposed to be going to a party in Central London this evening, but I seem to have lost the A-Z that would have enabled me to find my way to the place from the station. Commiserations.

• Meh, I planned it only three days beforehand and exams are coming up for most folks, so not altogether suprising. I still promised people to meet in the pub after the movie night, so it's not like the evening is a total loss.
    I now have my computer set up at home. Awesome.
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    @captainbrass

Getting a portrait painted by Dali would be awesome and you know it
  • ^ Yeah, I was joking, although in reality he wasn't exactly known for portraits. Also, as he's been dead for about 20 years now, getting him to do the job would involve a seance to rival anything in a horror film.
  • I think the worst part of that Madoka dub trailer was Kyubey sounding so excited in his lines about making a contract.

The original did a good job of making him sound "pleasantly emotionless"
    Yeah, that's my problem with Kyubey. That and he sounds way more feminine. Granted, Kyubey is not exactly the pinnacle of manliness, but his voice was more...agendered, I guess. Like, I couldn't exactly tell if it was female or male entirely. Because Kyubey is not gendered, after all. Probably.
  • edited 2011-12-17 22:45:45
    Has friends besides tanks now
    @Madoka trailer: I couldn't handle more than thirty seconds of that.

I'll probably still buy it once it's at a reasonable price, but I'll make a point of watching it with subs.
  • edited 2011-12-17 22:47:49
    Kyuubee had twintails and was voiced by Emiri Katou.  As such, it was impossible to picture it as anything other than Kagami Hiiragi, so... yeah, totally female even in Japanese.
    Maybe it's because:

A) My knowledge of anime VAs is shit

and

B) I dunno who Kagami Hiiragi is. Except that she has something to do with snuggling with onions

Also, said twintails are ears, so eh.
  • edited 2011-12-17 23:24:43
    Has friends besides tanks now
    ^She's one of the purple-haired characters from Lucky Star.

EDIT: So one of my friends is trying to argue that [ONE PIECE SPOILERS] [timeskip Luffy is on par with Marineford-arc Whitebeard]. Can't shake my head hard enough.
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    I just bought Planescape: Torment on sale from GOG.com, and I'm wondering if I should pick up Fallout 1 and 2 or not.