If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• edited 2011-10-19 00:45:16

Yui is totally the best character, because adorable.

^^ But it's not supposed to be about the music.  The music thing is more or less just a gimmick.  The show is only really trying to be a comedy show with cute characters and lesbian subtext.

• edited 2011-10-19 00:44:05
    Mrr, note to self...have actual content that might get a response or two next time you put something LP/LB related up...I have stuff to put up in my liveblog...but my brain is telling me that the fact it'd be triple posting is a good excuse to not work on getting the post ready for now...

...Maybe I just need more coffee.

^ But...Mio's more adorable.
  • You can change. You can.
    Eh, it's slice of life. I don't expect this show to be a real look into what it is to be a musician so much as a Seinfeld-ish look at it, you know? Like, taking these situattions that I'm familiar with as a casual musician which make me go "hehehe, I was there".

If I wanted a serious musical drama, I'd be watching Beck. Which I will. Later.

Also, Yui's adorableness is too forced for me to go "dawww". I dunno.
  • One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Nyeh... it's just so full of unfortunate implications for me. You know when sometimes they have models pose with guitars? K-On! is like that, but designed to be cute rather than sexy (and sometimes even that's debatable). The only character that doesn't seem to fall into that trap is the teacher, because she struggles with her more visceral, artistic side and hides the pride she holds in her skills as a shredhead.

In fact, K-On! would be much better if it were about that teacher. It'd still be endearing, but it would be so much more interesting looking into the life of someone who chose a different career, but holds regrets about the artistic side they might've squandered, then choosing to pass it on to the next generation.

Also, I don't think K-On! being comedy really excuses it of much. Haruhi was mostly comedy, for instance, but it also leapt into drama and metafiction.
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    The band is not a focus

so
    Also, I don't think K-On! being comedy really excuses it of much. Haruhi was mostly comedy, for instance, but it also leapt into drama and metafiction. 

Yeah, but is there really much of a point in comparing the two? I mean, what's the basis of it, apart from maybe Haruhi having some slice of life influence?
    Same publisher, slice of life, comedy, moeshit, ect.

Although truth be told, I never saw the moe in Haruhi as a focal point like it is in more recent anime.

The band is not a focus

so

The show was marketed like it was, and the early episodes pointed to it. So it implies that the show is going to do something with it, but then it doesn't, and then it fails to pick up the threads anywhere else. So it essentially leads us along and then drops what could be interesting and characterising in favour of bland, enforced cuteness. For the most part, I feel like the show is telling me how to feel rather than being effectively manipulative.
  • edited 2011-10-19 01:10:49

Although truth be told, I never saw the moe in Haruhi as a focal point like it is in more recent anime.

Disappearance basically was 164 minutes of Yuki fanservice.

Honestly, I'd never say it's a particularly good show. It's just one of those shows that is about basical character interaction in a context, in this case, a music band.

the context does not do much beyond enabling the interaction, actually, and I honestly don't care. I came to this show to be amused. And I'm being amused. Ergo, it's doing what I want it to do. --shrug--
    Fair enough.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    I just learned the lyrics to the Skyrim theme.

Not sure if IJBM or IJAM.
  • I have nearly all the lyrics for LITERAL Assassin's Creed: Revelations memorised.

Not sure if good or bad.
    Oh, I've known that for weeks.

I figured once I had that done, it was time to move on to learning video game music that wasn't in English, or any language that wasn't a conlang.
    It means neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd
    Um...was that supposed to provide me with new information or something?
    Well, you seemed to be doubtful, so
    Finally got Arkham Asylum, since it was cheap.
  • Hooray, Alex tearing into K-On!

Finally got Arkham Asylum, since it was cheap.

Are you liking it?

Also, I loved Arkham Asylum, but I wish it had done a much better investigative system. When I think about it, Condemned 2 is a game that did so many things AA should have done.
    Quite good so far. I'm not that far in yet, though.
  • >Class presentation this evening

>Find out one of the students you have to give it with has died(probably earlier last week since she didn't respond to e-mails, she even had a child)

>Massively awkward, followed by thoughts on how I'm not going to come off as an insensitive dickhead by suggesting we still go on with the presentation

Not sure if coping mechanism or empathy issues.

Hmmm, I'm getting tired. It's probably kinda late. I should get to...

>6:51 AM

ಠ_ಠ
  • edited 2011-10-19 06:14:16
    > Juan
    > Liking K-On!

Excellent. At this rate he'll start getting into moeshit I like.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.
    ಠ_ಠ
  • I ever start getting into Moeshit, eviscerate me.
    No.
  • That wasn't a request.
    Don't care.

No.
  • Okay

I'll do it myself
  • D:

But you can't eviscerate yourself...at least, probably not properly.