If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Hmm. Well, in fact, I agree with that. But the "direct X towards the north, the Y towards the south" stuff is plainly ridiculous.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Since most of us don't have an inner compass, yeah, that's true.

• I find "humanity fuck yeah" to be a much, much, much more annoying attitude.

To be fair, humans are usually the most fleshed out race described in these settings. to paraphrase that one terrible webcomic, you have "superior" races that seem to have been mucking around in filth for just long as humans.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

You know what, this snowfall outta my window seriously pisses me off. Tomorrow's the fucking April, and it has been warmer and spring-er in February.

• In those matters, some fengshui is really just common sense; don't put toilets here, sleep with your back to the west, some shapes are nice, some shapes aren't. 

But the rest of it is mystical stuff, probably superstition.

• Man, I've really gotten into (mostly national) politics lately, I even plan to go to a rally soon. How I've changed.

• edited 2013-03-31 18:01:33
    Has friends besides tanks now

So Fall Out Boy's Folie a Deux actually is a pretty good album, now that I'm listening through it. I guess I just ended up individually listening to the least impressive songs that other time? I don't know if I'll come to enjoy it more than Infinity on High, but it's much more solid than From Under the Cork Tree.

EDIT: Okay, this album is damn good. Forzare and Kraken, I guess you told me so.

EDIT: Well, there's a very strong middle section ("She's My Winona" through "What a Catch, Donnie," which is AMAZING), and then I don't feel like listening to the rest of it and go back to either "She's My Winona" or "Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes."

Apparently somebody hates us enough to bother with this. We're betting on fat Trivunac and his anarchists.

• a little muffled

The Trotsky was actually a pretty good movie though.

• No rainbow star
    Ok I'm curious

Is my school ripping people off by charging almost $3000 a semester per person?
  • No rainbow star
    To live on campus I mean

$3000 a semester to live on campus
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

What is the price of being dead on campus? I mean, I see an opportunity for students of Twilight-like persuasion.

Yes. It is ripping you off.

• a little muffled

It's ripping you off in the sense of that being stupidly high, but it's not ripping you off in the sense of that being different from other Canadian schools. The cheapest residence at UTSC is $2584 per semester.

• edited 2013-03-31 18:23:35
    Has friends besides tanks now

$3000 a semester to live on campus

That's not including things like tuition, right? I mean, either way that's definitely a rip-off, but I'd like to only need $3000 a semester (or whatever the American equivalent is) to be going to school.

• edited 2013-03-31 18:26:34
    a little muffled

That's on top of tuition, I'd imagine. Though tuition is cheaper here than in the States.

$3000 a semester for residence + tuition would be amazing.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

Just to live on campus, so, basically, rent? That's $500 per month then. For what I assume is a dorm room? Probably shared with somebody? If so, then it's definitely a rip-off, I'd say.

• No rainbow star
    Not including tuition (about $500 per class, so that's another $2500)

I realky only signed that lease because I felt sort of forced due to tensions in the house

Then of course monetary shit happened and blagh so I need to see if there is a way to wiggle out and try to find cheaper
  • No rainbow star
    Uh, a semester is four months
  • Has friends besides tanks now

Hooray for higher education!

• edited 2013-03-31 18:30:24
    a little muffled

Just to live on campus, so, basically, rent? That's $500 per month then.
    It'd be $750 actually, assuming it works the same way over there as it does here. Semesters are four months and then you usually get the summer off. (Unless you take summer courses. In which case, I guess they're actually trimesters. U of T just calls them terms.)

What are generally the costs of living over there? I mean, I understand it's high, so I expect there a market in renting out apartments for students. Unless it's one of the schools where, as I am told, students are required to live on campus.

• edited 2013-03-31 18:40:58
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

In Serbia, campuses are free, but are open only to students outside of the university's home city, if they qualify for a place in the campus on a ranking list where points are determined by prior grades and the entry test - so for cca 90.000 students at the University of Belgrade, there's a total of 10.000 places in eleven campuses around the city.

• edited 2013-03-31 18:45:25
    a little muffled

@lrdgck: There is definitely a market to renting housing near the campus to students, but a new student who doesn't already live near the campus isn't in much of a position to find out about it before signing up. Also you get things like this (which was right across the street from my school).

A semester, in most every context, is a half-year here, including university (where vacation times are still counted as part of the semester). And I mean, really, also during summer you need to live somewhere, right?

Tuition is free here (administrative and other associated costs means you need to pay ~€250-300 every semester but that's of course pittance compared to actual tuition fees in the USA etc.), and university offered housing (which doesn't actually need to be on campus. Assuming the university in question actually has a campus to start with) actually subsidized so it's fairly cheap. Still, most students (have to) rely on the normal private housing market, which of course in university cities is geared to a degree towards them. There are certainly no "having to live on campus" rules here.

• a little muffled

Here people use "semester" to refer to one academic term, assuming there are two of them.

Around here, renting's been quite a problem couple of years ago, then it sort-of calmed down. I don't know if it's a matter of market changes or something else (like people not talking of it that much). Apartment sharing is also common. A group of students lives together and shares the costs of the rent. Reportedly, at the height of that bad season, there were serious castings and interviews for the folks wanting to join, nowadays it seems more laid-back.

We have something comparable to the Serbian campus situation around here, as far as I know. Which is understandable given the similar background. Studying is free for the... uhh... I guess you Yanks call it "major" or whatever. You know, the primary area of studies. If you want to study two at once, you'll pay. This is a recent change, several years old at most. It was meant to curb the practice of studying on multiple universities and sucking the stipends from each of them (the record-holders "studied" like seventeen things at once). The academic community clamors for the introduction of more fees, the claim is that more $$$$ means better quality of both teaching and research, if I understood it right.

Apartment sharing is also common. A group of students lives together and shares the costs of the rent.

Yeah, that's pretty much the norm here. I just didn't know how to translate Wohngemeinschaft :p And since as I've said the market in university cities is already geared towards students, you don't even need to find an apartment to share, you can just look for an open room in one.

Interestingly, throughout the 00s we had fad of (minor still, in comparison to USA and UK) study fees here. Since education is a state matter, things differed from state to state, but nearly all had them introduced at some point, in the range of 500-1000€ per semester. However, now only Bavaria and Lower Saxony still retain them, and in both cases they're to fall soon. I don't know how that happened: A neoliberalist trend defeated by leftist backlash. 

(The case here in Hesse was the funniest: The three leftist party gain a majority of seats in parliament, but can't agree on a coalition. They strike down the study fee in parliament, without even forming a government, and new elections return a majority for the government parties... which however basically go "We're not touching this issue again!")

• edited 2013-03-31 19:05:13
    if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

Renting's a problem here too - the campuses are full of people who legally aren't supposed to be there. I think that right now there's an action underway meant to deal with the problem.

As for tutition fees - high education is free for all who pass a certain treshold on the ranking list, similar to the way campus rooms are distributed, although the ranking list is renewed every two semesters (one year). Those under the treshold have to pay, but get free textbooks unlike those without tutition fees.

(^^ Hessian, eh? I wanted to ask you of that for a while. I hoped you're from the other side of Elbe so I and Milos could tease you by saying you're a Slav in denial. Heh heh.)