If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

IJBMer Updates

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

I know quite a few people who choose their general to fit their colours, not the other way round.

• edited 2013-03-28 09:16:54

Then unless those people chose their colors based on other ideas, their ways are wrong and sick.

• Nielson TV Ratings keep calling, and I never pick up the phone. I think they're trying to kill me.

• You can change. You can.

But elves aren't either of those!

Oh come on, Elves is totally tons of mana. And tons of dudes. 

Then you aren't choosing colors, you're choosing your general.

Well, you choose your Commander first, but you're kinda choosing colors when you're choosing your commander.

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

And tons of dudes.

What?

• But you never had any to begin with.

Elves are basically the weenie tribe. Even goblins don't pump out that many creatures.

• http://music.yahoo.com/blogs/heard/kiss-hello-kitty-team-surely-best-tv-show-190819392.html

"If we affirm one moment, we thus affirm not only ourselves but all existence. For nothing is self-sufficient, neither in us ourselves nor in things; and if our soul has trembled with happiness and sounded like a harp string just once, all eternity was needed to produce this one event - and in this single moment of affirmation all eternity was called good, redeemed, justified, and affirmed."

• edited 2013-03-29 07:00:21
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So I was watching one of those youtube vids with someone doing a semi-dramatic reading to mock posts on the TV Tropes forum.  And I realized something.

I don't think like a troper.

I understand tropes but I don't think like a troper.

Which makes me rethink my identifying myself as a "troper", which I've done occasionally.

Take a look about 17 seconds into this video.  See that summary description of a story?  See how it contains links to several trope articles?

I am unable to do that.

If you asked me on the fly to describe a story, I would describe the setting/characters/story events to you.  I could at best relate it to similar stories/settings/characters/plots, but not trope names.  I could sit down and think through what tropes are represented, though that would take some time, and I usually end up with tropes that don't yet exist on TVT half the time anyway.

I know what tropes are.  I can identify them in a story.  But I just suck at retrieving them especially by name.  If you asked me to name some tropes, usually I go for FiveManBand first, then I think of Heel Face Turn and Face Heel Turn, and that's about it.

Related: I don't particularly like TVT's existing names.  I find them too "breezy"; the names should be formalized and universally applicable while the descriptions remain breezy albeit with certain formalized elements to make them easy to skim and find.  I know the wiki prides itself on being breezy but there should be a reasonable limit, and I think for the sake of utility that limit should be lower than it is now.

• What?

Lots of cheap dudes who give off mana for more cheap dudes.

Well, you choose your Commander first, but you're kinda choosing colors when you're choosing your commander.

But that's my point, your "choice" of colors is based on something else.

^ *sees own handle* hhhmm...

How common is the ability to tropefy stories, though? I mean, if we base ourselves on work pages and that kind of writer, we'll get a distorted view. For whatever it's worth, I can't do it either.

Though that reminds me the time Longfellow came up with the trope list for CrazyBus on the spot after being told it wasn't possible. Good times.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

glenn, I think you're like the last person here who thinks about TVTropes in any context other than "lol tvtropes".

In other news, I have been having a day I can best describe as irritating.

• That's good. You understand the recurring themes and ideas of fiction, but you're not trapped in the language that TVT has built (which is a very restrictive language).

Also, I agree with you; I have come to hate the breezy trope names.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122987-Dire-Wolf-Project-Breeding-Pets-for-Game-of-Thrones-Fans

People are trying to breed Dire Wolves to sell to Game of Thrones fans. This is horrifying. People will buy them just as merchandise, discover that they actually have to take care of them and it isn't easy, and neglect them or throw them out.

• But that shit happens all the time with pets anyway. With a long waiting list, a huge price tag and the fact that it's just a special breed of dog, risks are far lower than those of cases of people importing exotic animals or people by a pet on impulse. I'll eat my hat if they don't have a "do you realize pets are a responsibility" talk with customers beforehand: there's far too much money in this to run the risk of a bad rep for the company.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> dire wolf

> looks like a D&D name

> is this really a thing?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_wolf

> extinct animal

> what

• No rainbow star
    A large dog breed with an average 15-20 year life span?

Isn't that a little ambitious?
  • edited 2013-03-29 15:23:57
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^The thing about dog lifespans is that they're artificially short because purebred dogs are the equivalent of hillbilllies who have been marrying their siblings for centuries. A new breed would have less of a problem with that.

• if u do convins fashist akwaint hiz faec w pavment neway jus 2 b sur

You don't get to call yourself a left-wing activist if you don't get your nose broken at least once in a lifetime.

• deets, plox

I haven't leveled up yet, but judging from the threats I get, I'm pretty close to the required XP.

The latest is "HEY YOU LITTLE HIPSTER FAGGOTS WANT ME TO KICK YOUR FUCKING ASSES?!" from a rabid Stalinist.

• Kichigai birthday!!

Are avatars broken again? FU! FU!

• Kichigai birthday!!

Well they actually aren't, so my post there is worthless. Like everything else in my life.

• Early warning: Please excuse any drunkposting that may occur tonight.

Thank you.

Also, we've been invited to a booty-shaking contest, and are considering attending.
  • No rainbow star

So I found out that Adam Sandler won a Razzie Award for Worst Actor and a Razzie Award for Worst Actress

For the same film

That's... Yeah

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I saw that film. Only funny thing was Al Pacino.

• The fridge is too full of alcohol to dump food in it. Curse my b-day guests for being such teetotals.

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

I can't believe how many otherwise highly intelligent people take shit like Feng Shui seriously ("the cicrle sends good vibrations, the circle is a whole, anything else makes you feel suppressed!")

• I don't even call it violence when it's in self defence; I call it intelligence.

I suppose Feng Shui can work, actually. Not due to actual energies being transmitted and stuff, but as a sort of psychology, not derived by the scientific method but by thousands of years of experience, which is also worth something, I guess.

You mean, sort of like the placebo effect? The very reason that you believe it makes you feel better is what makes you feel better? yeah, I can see that.

No, what I mean is that seeing certain forms and shapes does make you feel better, or have other effects. Not because of flowing energies, simply because of aesthetics and so on.