If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• There is love everywhere, I already know

a) That 3DS thing makes no sense and makes me wish I didn't get one when they were released just because I could've gotten a BIGGER ONE!

b) Namco on Smash Bros is odd, I'll miss HAL but I bet they can do a decent job (They make wonderful 2D Naruto fighting games)

c) Yay, Kirby.

• edited 2012-06-22 09:30:26

EDIT: Also, Namco is going to do the next Smash Bros.

While I'd be unenthusiastic if it was basically any other franchise ever, Super Smash Bros. is limited to only showing up on one platform, so Namco can't do their usual bullshit of releasing a glorified beta version of a game for $60 before releasing the real game a year later on another platform.

That said, I'm still unenthusiastic because I don't care much about Smash Bros. but well, yeah.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I haven't played the Atelier games, but I stand by my previous statement, that, in its form, Recettear is a business sim with a minigame.  However, it's kinda like how the pokémon parasect has a huge mushroom that kinda takes over the picture--the minigame is an action JRPG that has quite a bit of depth, and is probably the thing that you'll spend the most time doing (other than maybe thinking about inventory and sales strategies).  So if you want to call it a JRPG it's fair enough.  It's like calling parasect a mushroom.  Calling it a JRPG-and-business-sim, or a mushroom-bug, would be more accurate.

Re dying in games:

That's not necessarily related to difficulty.  It's also related to risk-taking.  I know that I tend to play the first few levels of Spelunky with much more risk-taking, and the last few levels (in the rare cases I get to them) much more conservatively.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    >Considering that the first games of that kind are the Atelier ones (I think) and the first one came out on Playstation, that would be a quite a long time for a genre to remain unnamed.

Gamers aren't very good at identifying genres.
  • Roguelikes still don't have a proper name that doesn't amount to "games that are like this one other game"... >.>

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    ^"Dungeon Crawler" is a term I've heard before. It works. Sort of.

Roguelikes are more specific than that; Dungeon Crawler tends to refer to any game where you, well, crawl dungeons, while Roguelikes have fairly specific requirements.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!
    Hence "sort of". I mention it because I've seen more "professional" venues use it to refer to Roguelikes and fans use Roguelike to describe normal Dungeon Crawlers.

Basically, you are totally right with video game genres being poorly defined. Though only on an analytical level, as it works on a "know it when you see it" level.

Though only on an analytical level, as it works on a "know it when you see it" level.

Yeah, but only because the "know it when you see it" reaction pretty much disregards what are normally listed as videogame genres.

• edited 2012-06-22 11:26:20
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

I call them dungeon-crawlers, a category that includes Rogue, Wizardry (or what I've seen of Wizardry V), and Etrian Odyssey.  "Roguelike" is the specific term I give to dungeon-crawlers that have an ascii interface option.

is the specific term I give to dungeon-crawlers that have an ascii interface option.

The definition that's usually used doesn't include ascii graphics. Normally it refers to dungeon crawlers with random dungeons and permadeath.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Wait...lemme think about that for a moment...

...yeah, you're right, I use the term to describe Spelunky.

So yeah, dungeon crawlers without reloadable save and with random dungeons.

• edited 2012-06-22 11:45:38
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Incidentally:

So apparently Nintendo is releasing a bigger Nintendo 3DS, and yet they still didn't add on a second circle pad. Logic is apparently not Nintendo's forte these days.

So? The system doesn't really have much need or use for another circle pad. It already has a significantly better interface for camera control than most dual-analog games (see Ocarina of Time's bow controls for what I'm talking about), and any game for it that actually requires the second circle pad will never sell well because not everyone will have it.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

The Mass Effect ending DLC is going to drop on Tuesday.

It's going to be 1.9 gigabites of data, and you'll have to start from a save at the Cerberus base to see it.

YES.

It does not fundamentally change the endings, but rather it expands on the meaning of the original endings

I love how this could mean anything at all.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Marketing is a game of making things sound cool and simultaneously covering your ass as much as possible. Then again business is all about covering your ass as much as possible and setting up some other fucker to be the scapegoat.

• So, I'm downloading the Kingdom Hearts 3D demo right now.

KH fans, what should I expect from the gameplay anyway?

• edited 2012-06-22 12:38:03
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^True, though this is a strange case in that they aren't actually selling something, but rather trying to regain goodwill.

MrW - running and jumping and dodging and hitting things with a giant key. Magic except for healing spells has been consistently useless in the series. 

Magic except for healing spells has been consistently useless in the series. 

Except for specific occasions when you're supposed to use it.

Magic except for healing spells has been consistently useless in the series.

You guys have played BBS right?

One game is not enough to break a trend of 4ish games where magic is superfluous at best. 

But BBS is most recent so that should count for something.

No. Until another game follows the idea it counts as a step in the right direction, but not notable by itself. Or rather, great for BBS, but it doesn't change the fact that by and large magic in KH games is useless and has a good chance of continuing that way.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-06-22 13:08:41

So, I played the demo. It's actually very fun, the combat is great, it controls well and it looks great on that tiny 3DS screen. Music's fantastic too. And magic wasn't as useless as I was lead to believe.

Then again, this is the first KH game I've played in any meaningful capacity. Except for that one time at Disney World where they had a demo of the first game at Epcot when they were promoting the hell out of it, which I played for all of two seconds.

I'd really love to buy it, but the story is apparently as convoluted as it gets.

• You can change. You can.

Magic was pretty useful in KH1 and CoM (Less so there, I thought) but after KH2, magic's mostly useless and the combat is basically "Press X fast and ocassionally press triangle to survive" except for the top guns like Xaldin, Son Of Revolver Ocelot and Big Boss and Sephiroth. 

• Xaldin falls to blocking. I should know. Gets him everytime.

Son Of Revolver Ocelot and Big Boss and Sephiroth.

Either I'm reading that wrong or we played two different KH2s.

Alk, 3D is doing the same thing (But with a slightly more limited moveset) so I think it counts, no?