If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

get dragon age!

That would be the game I have. And actually, I have it twice, on both Steam and Origin, because it was bundled with DA2 for $5 at one point.

his gameplay design's actually not that bad

MGS1 has terrible gameplay and MGS2 had meh gameplay.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

oh oh oh

someone else plays Dragon Age :D

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I thought the MSG games I played were brilliant in both gameplay and characterisation, but they layered on the exposition so thick that blugh i gotta take a shower. If anything, MGS2 is one of the best vidya stories ever told, partially because it's vidya about vidya and that worked extremely well. That said, BioShock did a similar thing, so "vidya about vidya" seems like an "easy" way out of the issue at this point. 

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    clearly we need more vidya about books
  • edited 2012-06-20 19:46:15
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

MGS1's combat would have been good with the changes MGS2 made.

But then the changes in MGS2's combat would have lost their artistic meaning, thus making the best game in the series not as good, so I'm okay with that I guess?

^Alan Wake is pretty awesome.

• You can change. You can.

I think MGS1 had some good gameplay for its time. At least, cool level design. It's just that the controls were pretty frustrating.

• I only played Twin Snakes and MGS3. Should I feel bad?

• edited 2012-06-20 19:52:04

I've never played any of them, only watched people play through MGS2 and MGS3, so... (though I guess I did play like 10 minutes of the NES version of Metal Gear, not that that counts for anything)

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Alan Wake is pretty awesome.

yes.
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

What about Portal 2 is teachable?

sequence 14 go
  • If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I have a question, actually, for anyone here who has played both Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2.

What do you think made the original games good, and why is the second game worse than the first?

In a nutshell, the story itself. I felt both had great characters and questionable gameplay, but the latter was somewhat justifiable in the first game because the second act through to the end of the game was interesting on a narrative level. There was a great human villain and some tough calls, and everything consistently led up to the endgame. Dragon Age 2, on the other hand, was three mostly unrelated plots. As good as the characters were, and as much (little?) as the gameplay itself improved, much of the experience ended up feeling empty because I felt thrown into a series of unrelated story segments that never had a satisfying conclusion. 

While I'm a fan of streamlining in general, I also feel that both games should have been more complex in terms of character builds. Each weapon type for the warrior, for instance, has three trees of three skill types. That means that each weapon has a grand total of nine applicable skills, and you'll be using less than half of them because of the way the game works strategically. DA:O was better than DA2 in that respect, but it wasn't good in that respect. Overall, it was Neverwinter Nights Lite in terms of gameplay. That game had good, but not outstanding gameplay, so DA:O and DA2 felt like a backwards step, especially from the gem that is KotOR. 

Also, some of the animations are just damn painful in the DA games. The two handed sword swing is so much ugh god brain bleach stat

I got the feeling that much of Dragon Age 2 was a lead-up to Dragon Age 3, myself.

Yeah, there's an obvious sequel hook.

All the same, though, that doesn't justify the story being what it was. The conflict between the mages and Templars should have been the central conflict of the story from the arrival of Kirkwall to the end. 

I don't think that that would have been pulled off well. There simply wasn't enough to carry that through without resorting to padding out the storyline, thanks to the introduction of the plot thread and the exploration of the conflict in Dragon Age: Origins.

At least, not without changing the storyline majorly, to focus on the Mages and the Templars in individual fashions.

Well, yeah, but that's how deep the issues with DA2's story run. There simply isn't any consistency, so major rewrites would need to take place, no matter what, to make it a good story. 

I don't think so, personally. They could have interwoven the current story much more tightly with the outside narrative of Varric telling his story to Cassandra.

What. The. Fuck.

well said desmond
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yep, pretty much.

Astro Man's stage is annoying.  At least, it is in Rockman 8 FC.

• It was pretty annoying in the original game too.  Though I don't know how Rockman 8 FC compares, since I haven't played it yet.

• The FC version always slows down on my computer.

Good news: No HANDSOME KAY from Aqua Man.

Bad news: Imma miss you Dr. Fudd.

I haven't yet figured out a way to get past Frost Man's jump jump slide slide part.  Well, I haven't touched it in a while but the last time I messed with it I tried several times and there's this one jump where I inevitably hit an enemy and fall off.

And I haven't had slowdown problems, either with Rockman 8 FC or Rockman 7 FC.

• MrWMrW
    edited 2012-06-21 09:05:01

There goes any chance of a localization, folks. Except for shitty 3DS spin-offs.

Which sucks, because imagine that with the Wii U gamepad. 

• ^Then again, that controller has a lot of different possibilities that next to nobody is taking advantage of.

For example, remember that Okami remake I posted earlier? Imagine using the touch screen to use the Celestial Brush. It's probably the only hypothetical port where using the controller makes perfect sense. It would be better than motion-controlled baterangs, at least.

It always takes time for developers to become comfortable with new hardware, especially something like the Wii U. I just hope they don't get complacent in the process.