If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Ah, so it's because of TOR's less than stellar reception? Speaking of which, when's that going F2P?

• edited 2012-08-10 13:48:43
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Sometime in fall,  I think.

But no, I think he's just done with the stuff he was doing on TOR and is going back to the main studio.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119006-Valve-Drops-the-Hammer-On-Infringing-Dota-2-Mace

So, this guy put up a mace on DOTA 2 and made a bunch of money from it. Turns out, the mace was lifted from another game, so he was banned and it was removed.

Now, what bothers me is that at the end of the article, the author says that banning him from steam (and thus preventing him from playing his games) was too harsh of a punishment for committing a serious crime and scamming valve out of large quantities of money.

WTF.
  • I'm a damn twisted person
    Remember, with this generation of gamers, the publisher and developers are always the boogeymen.
    Yeah, but it's usually "only" as bad as the Retake Mass Effect stuff. This is the first time I've seen it lead to a "gamers should not be punished for crimes because reasons" mentality.
  • It's the whole Steam DRM backlash thing.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Is $10 for a gamecube controller a good deal?  what about $15 for two?

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-11 00:46:39

Whelp, I think it's about time I did my challenge run for Mega Man X4. Same rules as always for me.

I am welcome to suggestions on boss order. Which given my rules, doesn't really matter.

• edited 2012-08-11 00:34:32

^^ If they're Nintendo, it's a good deal. If not, it's about standard.

I had forgotten just how good Spider-Man 2 was.

• edited 2012-08-11 00:48:06
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

At least one of them is.

These are used, on Craigslist.  The first one is black and allegedly "works perfectly and is in great condition"; a photograph shows a black Nintendo-branded GC controller.  The second one, whose condition is not explicitly described, is platinum color.

• edited 2012-08-11 00:53:44

You know, I want to see a JRPG-style game that tracks the number of kills under your belt...and then at the end makes you feel sorry for killing them for a very plot-related reason.

NB: the kill counter is only upped when you defeat human opponents--or even more specifically, when you injure them past unconsciousness.  However, leaving them alive may make things more difficult later on.

• Alpha Protocol kept track of that, including an Orphans Created stat. Just another reason why everyone should play it.

• edited 2012-08-11 00:58:30

You know, I want to see a JRPG-style game that tracks the number of kills under your belt...and then at the end makes you feel sorry for killing them for a very plot-related reason.

No, this is a stupid trick that's already been done to death (or if it hasn't, people sure have been talking about it forever).  If you want a game that discourages killing, do it in a less stupid way than just arbitrarily screwing over the player at the end of the game because they played the game normally.

• edited 2012-08-11 01:07:00
    There is love everywhere, I already know

Don't Tonberries do that? I remember having nightmares about getting murdered by Mega Tonberries in FFX2.

NB: the kill counter is only upped when you defeat human opponents--or even more specifically, when you injure them past unconsciousness.  However, leaving them alive may make things more difficult later on.

I don't think a lot of JRPGs let you kill humans in the first place (Unless it's the final boss, and they usually explode from using up their powers).

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-11 01:27:54

Frosty the Snow Walrus! He's big, he's fat, he's slow!

With easy attacks, so predictable! He's the first Maverick to go!

EDIT: Slash Beast's done for. The theme of his stage is basically like a Michael Bay film. LOTS N' LOTS OF EXPLOSIONS!

• edited 2012-08-11 01:33:40

Well, I had the idea because the source idea had to do with a deity hijacking the souls of the people of a world, which normally remain part of that world.  So the more humans you killed in the course of the game, the stronger the deity would be in the endgame.  And also the more lives the ending would tell you "had to be taken to end this" or something like that.

What should I pay attention to or be wary of when buying gamecube controllers?

• Awww... I wanted to kill Sting Chameleon with the Penguin Toboggan. :(

• Definitely not gay.

In hindsight, I should've seen that coming.

I mean, There Will Be Brawl was basically "Frank Miller writes Super Smash Bros"

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

What should I pay attention to or be wary of when buying gamecube controllers?

It's not as important as, say, memory cards but the general rule is stay away from anything made by Madkatz.

• You know, I want to see a JRPG-style game that tracks the number of kills under your belt...and then at the end makes you feel sorry for killing them for a very plot-related reason.

It's not JRPG-style, but didn't you already play Iji?

• You can sign up for a War of the Roses beta here. It's basically Mount & Blade but moreso, and with actually good graphics.

• edited 2012-08-11 17:40:42

^^ I did.  This idea actually wasn't initially inspired by Iji but Iji showed that it's quite possible for a kill count to be a morally ambiguous thing rather than an e-peen.

Also, GC controller get.

A good use of killing penalties is MGS3, a game where you're supposed to be avoiding enemies in the first place. Also Human Revolution, where nonlethal attacks yield more XP.
  • I really need to get a new GC controller. My current one is twitchy as all heck, and it even makes games like Wind Waker downright unplayable. I think the turbo button is jammed.
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Early birthday surprise by getting Persona 4: Arena 2 days earlier than I expected. YAAAAAY!

It's weird that they had JYB voice Yu when he also voiced Adachi. (Yes I know he voice Yu in P4 too but he barely spoke there so it wasn't so obvious)

• You can change. You can.

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/08/10/ask-chris-117-why-i-hate-video-games/

As usual, Chris Sims comes through with a bitching article.

• edited 2012-08-12 18:27:14
    Has friends besides tanks now

>climbing a spiral staircase instead of going to the Undead Parish
    >hmmmmmm
    >shit, it's probably a Black Knight, isn't it
    >it's a Black Knight
    >tfw dead 

• edited 2012-08-12 18:25:05
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Yeah, that one I'd recommend going back for later.

BTW, if you were thinking of buying a bunch of arrows to kill the red dragon, don't bother. It's been patched so he heals arrow damage past the last third of his health.

This tactic does still work on zombie dragons though.

• edited 2012-08-12 18:26:10

That particular knight... is awful.  Easiest way to kill it if you're new to the game is to back down the stairs throwing carefully-timed fireballs at it, but that's still really hard and if you mess up you'll probably die in one or two hits.

Yeah, I actually do generally kill it as soon as I reach it, but it usually takes me like ten tries.