If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-08-08 13:25:29
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

You can check your shield's block effectiveness by pressing square when it's highlighted in your inventory. On the right side of the shield's information box should be a box of its own, showings its resistances to physical, fire, lightning and magic damage. Most shields worth anything have 100% physical damage resistance, although a couple (the Grass Crest shield, Sanctus) are useful under certain circumstances even while lacking 100% damage resistance. 

Dual wielding generally isn't worth it in this game unless you're good at parries and are using a dagger in the off hand. You can only attack once per animation cycle anyway, so it doesn't increase your attack rate or damage output. Plus, weapons have awful damage resistances. Past the Taurus Demon (who is much easier than the Black Knight) a fair bit, you'll come across a 100% physical damage resisting shield lying about; alternatively, you can buy one from the Undead Merchant.  

Ninja'd. But it's worth noting that small shields often have bigger "parry windows" -- that basically means that when you parry, there's more room for error on your part concerning timing it right. The best parrying item in the game isn't a shield, though, but the parrying dagger. Note that some particularly heavy attacks can't be parried. Not sure on missile attacks and magical missiles, although obviously it's not worth it since there's no payoff. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

you'll come across a 100% physical damage resisting shield lying about; alternatively, you can buy one from the Undead Merchant.  

They also drop from the spear-and-shield warriors.

• edited 2012-08-08 13:30:50
    Has friends besides tanks now

I currently have one that's 93%, if I'm reading this correctly.

Oh, and I guess I only needed 11 Strength to one-hand the Spear. Isn't that amusing.

EDIT: Oh holy shit this is so much easier.

• Not sure on missile attacks and magical missiles, although obviously it's not worth it since there's no payoff. 

I don't know about projectiles, but of course there's no real reason to try parrying a soul spear anyway since you can dodge it.  However, you actually can parry Wrath of the Gods and similar spells.  Of course, all it does is make you not take any damage or get knocked back, so you could get the same effect by just rolling at the right time.

• edited 2012-08-08 13:29:10

^^ If you overshot strength a bit, that's no big loss. You probably want 15-25 or so strength anyway, depending on your build.

^ Huh, interesting. 

• edited 2012-08-08 13:36:29

Actually, if you're going for a pure dex build, you don't need more than 16 str for most good dex weapons, unless like... you really want to use the Murakumo.  Even 14 is probably enough.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

I mean in a more general sense for builds. Since I think the uchigatana is God's gift to dexterity builds, I wouldn't even go over 14. 

• edited 2012-08-08 13:59:47

Wow, the Taurus fight actually was a lot easier. Beat it on my first try, even. Though with literally a smidgen of health afterwards; I thought that it and I had killed each other at the same time with our last attacks.

Question: do bosses get restored if I rest at a bonfire?

• edited 2012-08-08 14:03:11

Question: do bosses get restored if I rest at a bonfire?

No.

Also, after playing around with it for a little bit, the Balder Side Sword seems to be slightly longer and have a better moveset than the Uchigatana.  Though it's a bit weaker.  Still, you could even go as low as 10 strength and be very effective with a dex character.

• edited 2012-08-08 14:02:26
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

They don't.

So you fought it directly, then?

• edited 2012-08-08 14:05:35

The best way to defeat the Taurus demon with what the early game provides is to use the electric goop dust on your weapon, go to the top of the tower, two-hand your weapon and do a plunging attack. You can take off a massive chunk of its health right off the bat, and your regular attacks will do significant damage to it while electrified. 

Protip: Somewhere, the game will provide a counter to whatever challenge you're facing for free. It might not be anywhere near the challenge itself, but if you're able to get to the physical area of the challenge, you can get to the physical area of the counter item. Some of these are in vastly different areas, though. So don't feel as though you always have to take the direct route to your next objective -- explore, see what you can find. You might just run into an item that will be indispensable later, even if it seems kind of lame when you pick it up. 

Also, after playing around with it for a little bit, the Balder Side Sword seems to be slightly longer and have a better moveset than the Uchigatana.  Though it's a bit weaker.  Still, you could even go as low as 10 strength and be very effective with a dex character.

No bleeding, though. Which doesn't necessarily come into play that often, but at other times it can be a lifesaver. 

• edited 2012-08-08 14:04:53

So you fought it directly, then?

Wait, what else could I have done? Yeah, I beat it in close combat. Spear + shield has worked out pretty well now that I've learned to keep track of my stamina.

electric goop dust

wut

Wait, what else could I have done?

Plunging attacks. Each one does a third of its health bar.

• The best way to defeat the Taurus demon with what the early game provides is to use the electric goop dust on your weapon, go to the top of the tower, two-hand your weapon and do a plunging attack. You can take off a massive chunk of its health right off the bat, and your regular attacks will do significant damage to it while electrified. 

More hilarious way to kill him is to stand next to that part where you can fall of the level, wait for him to get ready for a jumping attack, then jump off and kill yourself.  If you're lucky, he'll follow you and die.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Couldn't figure out how to get to the top of the tower before it, and I didn't want to bother getting past it just to climb its tower to try that. I just kinda went "come at me, bro" and fought it.

• edited 2012-08-08 14:08:00

More hilarious way to kill him is to stand next to that part where you can fall of the level, wait for him to get ready for a jumping attack, then jump off and kill yourself.  If you're lucky, he'll follow you and die.

You really don't have to kill yourself. If you stand near there, it'll just fall off for no reason.

Couldn't figure out how to get to the top of the tower before it, and I didn't want to bother getting past it just to climb its tower to try that. I just kinda went "come at me, bro" and fought it.

There's a ladder right inside the arena.

• edited 2012-08-08 14:12:42

There's a ladder right inside the arena.

Huh. Well, okay, then. Given that I still won, I don't know if it was worth it; even if it took a second try without me noticing the ladder, I probably could have done it anyway.

Meanwhile the Knight keeps killing me because I keep backing myself into corners.

• You really don't have to kill yourself. If you stand near there, it'll just fall off for no reason.

True, but it's more amusing if you do die.  Because then you manage to kill a boss while you're already dead, and your souls counter freaks out for a second, saying you have negative souls.

Also, I just got invaded while sitting at a bonfire. :c  I forgot that could happen.

your souls counter freaks out for a second, saying you have negative souls

That's awesome.

Meanwhile the Knight keeps killing me because I keep backing myself into corners.

Lure it into the open area above it, then circle around and go for backstabs.

wut

If you have the Master Key or Residence Key, you can open the door to a house behind three hollows, to the right of a small tower. It has a grassy section out back with a chest in it, which contains electric goop dust. When you use it, your right-hand weapon deals electrical damage for a minute or so. A lot of enemies in this game are weak to electrical damage, so it can be handy. Especially against the next boss, which is a bitch until you nail its goons. 

Never got that to work. But now that I don't suck, I don't really need it to work anyway so

• edited 2012-08-08 14:55:13

Well, found the ladder and killed the annoying archers who were heckling me during the fight.

EDIT: I'll take a break for now. But I tried out a new strategy: luring him out to the point with the ladder, where you fight the three bombers, and raining down whatever ranged stuff I have. Problem is, I ran out of ammo and had to get down, and that particular area isn't big enough for me. Plus, I can never time things right so that I can backstab him.

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    Bought Hotel Dusk for like four bucks

Nice. Good luck getting the sequel at that price, though.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Hell, the sequel is still pretty expensive over here, where it was actually released.

Working on combining every building in a minecraft village into one complex. The villagers' AIs are freaking the hell out.

• edited 2012-08-08 18:21:05

Finally beat the remake version of La-Mulana.

I had to finally give up and resorted to a walkthrough for the Gate of Illusion. How the fuck was I supposed to figure out how to get the Fruit of Eden the way you do?

Next stop, Hell Temple! Kiss my sanity goodbye.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-08 19:59:48

• Has friends besides tanks now

Welp, time to kill that Black Knight. >:O

I generally avoid Black Knights until I'm at about level thirty. 

• edited 2012-08-08 23:37:41

Really? I can usually get the first one pretty early on. I tend to open with a few firebombs.