If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-08-08 23:50:03
    Has friends besides tanks now

>bring it down to half by firing at it from above
    >accidentally fall off edge
    >plunging attack
    >dual-wielding spear and crossbow
    >didn't equip shield
    >combo death

Note to self: set offensive options on one button, defensive on the other.

• edited 2012-08-08 23:52:01
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^ They're pretty tedious until you have upgraded weapons (almost level 20ish for me, usually), but I'd rather hit up Darkroot Garden before moving into the Depths anyway. So by the time I'm revisiting the Burg, I'm level 30ish anyway and can take them on pretty safely. 

Except the ones in the Aslyum revisitation, which seem to be substantially tougher. That said, I usually go back after defeating Queelag at about level 40 (apart from grabbing the rusted iron ring and the crest shield), so nyeh.

^ Yup.

• Has friends besides tanks now

>45 firebombs
    >75 crossbow bolts

I think my body is ready. 

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

>Crossbow bolts

Found the problem.

Killed that bastard. Burnt him good.

^ Aw, cut me some slack, it's the only non-Firebomb ranged weapon I have.

Wait, does the merchant dude sell bows and arrows? And are they worth it?

Yes, and...sorta.

IMO, there are two cases in which bows are good: when you can shoot something indefinitely with no consequences, and when you can lure it off a cliff or into a trap.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> enough souls to buy 45 firebombs and 75 crossbow bolts
    > not levelling up or saving those souls for weapon upgrades

Aren't firebombs 100 souls apiece? And a standard crossbow bolt is 30. So you spent 6750 souls on consumables during the early game. :|

That's all fair stuff later on, mind you, but you'd have been better served by a 100% physical resistance shield and boosting your endurance, vitality or primary damage stat.  

• edited 2012-08-09 00:12:44

Aren't firebombs 100 souls apiece?

That's all fair stuff later on, mind you, but you'd have been better served by a 100% physical resistance shield and boosting your endurance, vitality or primary damage stat.  

I already have said shield (otherwise I'd probably be doing much worse), and for what it's worth, I've been boosting Vitality and Endurance alongside Dexterity, like you suggest.

Overall, I think the firebombs were worth the waiting a level, if not the bolts.

Also, just met Soltaire.

Oh shit oh shit oh shit drake time.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> I had to finally give up and resorted to a walkthrough for the Gate of Illusion. How the fuck was I supposed to figure out how to get the Fruit of Eden the way you do?

Isn't Gate of Illusion supposed to be about moon logic puzzles anyway?

• edited 2012-08-09 01:17:37

Fuck, dragon killed me.

EDIT: Fuck, gigantic bull thing killed me (stumbled into the Undead Parish, because I couldn't relocate the staircase I used to get down there).

I would guess that there's some more effective way to handle the dragon, but as soon as I emerge from behind one of the safe areas it breathes a gout of fire at me faster than I could possibly run towards it, and if I can't get into range, I have to bring it to me. But no matter how I do it, its fire breath one-shots me if I let my guard down. Should I just try to get past it? Because the Undead Parish doesn't exactly seem like a cakewalk either.

Actually, better question: is level 23, with no upgraded weaponry whatsoever nor the knowledge to do so, the wrong time to be fighting dragons?

Yes, but you don't have to fight it. You have to creep out until you get the signal that it's coming and run back towards safety. When it perches on the other side of the bridge, you go to the middle of the bridge and turn right into a stairway down. At the bottom of these stairs is two doorways; one will take you to the upper level of your last bonfire room, where you'll find that you can kick down a steel ladder.

I already got the ladder so that I have easy access to my bonfire.

How tough is the Undead Parish? I already got clobbered by the bull thing and I have no idea how to fight it.

• edited 2012-08-09 01:39:27

I have no idea how to fight it.

Backstab it to death or get it to stand in the fires that are conveniently placed all around that area and almost nowhere else in the whole game.   

I've never really been very good at backstabbing, unfortunately. Didn't work with the Black Knight, or any of the shield-using undead.

• edited 2012-08-09 01:46:25
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Okay, so right before the archway before the boar, there's a little ledge. If you get the boar to charge just right, you can run onto the ledge and drop attack it, go back to the bonfire so it starts retreating, get back to the ledge then right as it's under the archway, attack a wall to make a noise and aggro it. Repeat until it's dead.

I think killing it with drop attacks guarantees that it'll drop its head, which you can wear as a kickass helmet. 

• That is far more complicated than just standing on the stairs and watching it burn itself to death.

But if you do that it doesn't always drop the helmet.

• But its helmet sucks and I think you're guaranteed to get one later anyway.

The helmet is relatively good early on, weight aside. But by the time you get it for certain, you'll have something better.

I always use the alluring skull item from the overpass. The steel boar is the toughest enemy in the Parish, anyway.

Except for the Gargoyles. And the Stray Demon. Though given that the former is a boss and the latter is guarding a later area, I guess that's a given.

• edited 2012-08-09 02:03:24

Stray Demon is certainly not in the Undead Parish.

A titanite demon is, though, and I guess that's probably what you meant.

Wait, crap. The official name of the Titanite Demon is "Prowling Demon," and it's 1 AM, so I forgot which was which >.>

I personally think the steel boar is tougher than the gargoyles. Perhaps it isn't once you've cleared the area, but if you've cleared the area apart from the boar itself, you have ways to defeat it safely anyway. 

Two reasonably-challenging enemies are always harder than one in this game. Always.

But Solaire.

I only summoned him when his presence was relevant to the plot >.>

I always summon Solaire. Always. There can never be enough jolly cooperation. 

But he makes everything so easy...

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

the steel boar

Funnily enough, I killed the steel boar with a bow :>