If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• edited 2012-08-12 19:19:49

^^ So do a lot of other visual novels, but I really don't think it actually matters too much to the discussion...

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

But the thing is, there's a difference between something with gameplay and something where you're turning digital pages.

• You can change. You can.

I don't see why this is an argument against it being on a video game console. There's no particular reason you should have to simplify a work of fiction down to its bare essentials. Unless you think the music and whatnot are actually harming the work (aside from when considering it as a video game).

No, but my point is, how much do they contribute to the game as a whole? Does it need the music and the animation in order to be as enjoyable as it is?

Look, I'm not saying that Phoenix Wright's bad or not even a game because both things are both ridiculous, but I do agree with Sims with the idea that Phoenix Wright doesn't need to be a game in order to be enjoyed the same way that, say, Skyrim or Fallout need to be games in order to be enjoyed. 

No, but my point is, how much do they contribute to the game as a whole? Does it need the music and the animation in order to be as enjoyable as it is?

Look, I'm not saying that Phoenix Wright's bad or not even a game because both things are both ridiculous, but I do agree with Sims with the idea that Phoenix Wright doesn't need to be a game in order to be enjoyed the same way that, say, Skyrim or Fallout need to be games in order to be enjoyed.

This post made me realize that we're actually dealing with two questions:

1)Are VNs video games

2)Do VNs need their audiovisual aspect to function?

Seriously, though, we need to stop using Phoenix Wright as the example. It's an outlier and barely relevant to the discussion, and I don't think most of the people in this conversation have actually played it.

In the case of Phoenix Wright, I'd argue that the interactivity bits are not relevant or important to the enjoyment of the game.

Then again, long time ago and an LP at that so whatever. 

• edited 2012-08-12 19:37:33
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I'd argue that the interactivity bits are not relevant or important to the enjoyment of the game.

But they are. It's a mystery story, and the interactivity is you solving the mystery.

If you want an example of something that's indisputably a videogame but probably shouldn't be, take the worst examples of JRPGs where the combat seems to take place in an entirely different work from the story.

• edited 2012-08-12 19:40:45

Seriously, though, we need to stop using Phoenix Wright as the example. It's an outlier and barely relevant to the discussion, and I don't think most of the people in this conversation have actually played it.

This is a good idea. >.>

1)Are VNs video games

Probably not.  They just usually get released on the same devices as video games due to certain functions that they need to work (audio/video, saving/loading, often other stuff).

2)Do VNs need their audiovisual aspect to function?

Yes, if I had to answer in general.  Most likely though, there are a lot that don't.

I'd say I agree on both counts. Or at least, I'd say most VNs benefit from their audiovisual aspect.

• edited 2012-08-12 20:31:10

Finished SpecOps: The Line.

Damn.

I feel physically tired.

Seriously, someone else on this site needs to play it so we can discuss it.

It's not very long, but it's short in the Portal sense, where it ends and you go "well, of course it's over. Why would it be longer?"

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.

I'm definitely going to play it, but I probably won't have a chance until December.  My laptop doesn't really run the demo very well.

Ah, fair enough. Nothing ruins intense psychological horror like stuttering.

• edited 2012-08-12 21:04:08

Incidentally, while I've said that I won't spoil the plot and am holding myself to that, here's a non-spoiler that won't even happen for all that many players (which I'm tagging as a spoiler anyway no matter how mild it is because it would still have a somewhat greater effect if you weren't expecting it).

The most horrifying bit of flavortext ever to appear on a loading screen is "You are still a good person."

Close second: "Do you even remember why you came here?"

• edited 2012-08-12 21:07:26
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

@INUH: Downloaded the demo after I heard it existed, which was 5 minutes ago.

Though I probably won't buy it until it goes on sale.

• edited 2012-08-12 21:11:24

Don't play the demo. It's extremely misleading, consisting only of the shooty bits, which are very deliberately not fun to play and also not the main component of the experience.

And yeah, I'd argue that the unspoken "every game must cost $60 on release" rule didn't do SOTL any favors. I'd argue that it's worth it just for being something you won't get anywhere else, but it would have made more sense to charge $30 or $40.

• deliberately not fun to play.

Well, never playing that game.

(not that I would have anyway, really)

It's a horror game. Being fun would make it suck.

• Which is probably why I don't have any interest in horror games.

• I never checked that there was a demo, I'll have to try it out. It was gonna be on my Christmas list at least.

• edited 2012-08-12 21:14:37

Which is probably why I don't have any interest in horror games.

Fair enough; they aren't for everyone.

I never checked that there was a demo, I'll have to try it out.

Do not. It will give you as accurate an impression of the game as glancing at a screenshot of Modern Warfare 3 would give you of Portal.

• I already know about it being Heart of Darkness The Game, I just want to see how the gameplay is. I'll still get it if the gameplay isn't that good or stuff like that.

• LaiLai
    edited 2012-08-12 21:15:40

Looked it up.

Doesn't look or seem like my cup of tea, so I'll pass on it, not really for me.

• edited 2012-08-12 21:15:47

^^Okay good.

Though the Heart of Darkness thing is both not a spoiler (you start off looking for a guy named Konrad) and somewhat misleading.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Once I finish Dark Souls, I don't know what I would get for another game, but I suck at shooters, so hopefully it's not too difficult as far as that goes. Unless it takes me so long to finish Dark Souls that One Piece: Pirate Warriors comes out, or I decide on Dragon's Dogma instead, I might pick SpecOps up next.

>I suck at shooters, so hopefully it's not too difficult as far as that goes

Umm...

Well, there's an easy mode...

Wait, why the ellipses?

because doom falls upon the easy modoers

• edited 2012-08-12 21:26:30
    ^^I found the normal mode very difficult, but I'm pretty sure that was part of the point. There was at least one location where a Sniper was obscured by a lens flare, and at least three where sandstorms reduced visibility to like ten feet.

Hmm.

Well, I'll try normal anyway, probably.

• edited 2012-08-12 21:28:11

It gives you the option to switch down if you die...I think five times from one checkpoint or something like that. FWIW, I only found that out in the last level.