If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Definitely not gay.

ZSNES is such a horrid emulator. 

Trouble is, I'm so used to its control scheme that I can't switch without some MAJOR problems with muscle memory.

• But you never had any to begin with.

That's why emulators let you change the control scheme.

• Definitely not gay.

But it's exceedingly annoying to do so.

• edited 2012-08-01 11:58:17
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Fighting each battle one turn at a time, unless you get your friends to send you their turns. Also, you have to pay for magicite.

I'd do it more like this:

• Three battles per hour, with a maximum of ten stored in your queue

• If you get wiped out and don't want to return to a savepoint, you can revive your party at half health for 25 cents or full health for 50

• On the overworld, sell tents for 10 cents

• For $1-2, unlimited battles for some short period of time, maybe two or three hours.

So for $5, you get the entirety of FFVI? :P

• edited 2012-08-01 11:56:47

I edited that >.>

I should really think my posts through before posting them, rather than after.

That said, it costs I think the equivalent of $9 on the Virtual Console, so why not?

• edited 2012-08-01 11:59:13
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

That is still a business model worse than any Korean MMO and I want to slap you for thinking of it.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

What's so horrible about it? You can play through the entire game for free.

• edited 2012-08-01 12:03:59
    But you never had any to begin with.

Would that actually be viable though? Let's assume for a moment that the average FFVI run has 1000 fights. That's a minimum of 333 hours waiting to beat the game.

• edited 2012-08-01 12:04:50
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Limiting battles. You have to go through dozens of battles to be at a decent level to progress through the story, $2 for three hours isn't even enough in some cases. Grinding is one thing, but making a player pay to grind is pretty awful.

• edited 2012-08-01 12:06:15

^^True. Upping the limit to maybe 10/hour with 50 maximum in your queue would probably be good.

^I haven't had to grind yet. Does it get worse later on?

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^I don't know, I didn't get all that far. That's not the point though.

In a traditional JRPG like FFVI, if you're stuck on a boss or something you always have to option of coming back after you've leveled up a little. This system, however, puts an arbitrary roadblock on that. Either forcing the player to quit the game temporarily, which is aggravating as hell, or pay up. The latter not everyone can even do, especially kids and teenagers without credit cards of their own, who is your main demographic for a game like this.

• edited 2012-08-01 12:42:00

In a traditional JRPG like FFVI, if you're stuck on a boss or something you always have to option of coming back after you've leveled up a little. This system, however, puts an arbitrary roadblock on that. 

That is part of why I included the "revive for 25 cents" thing.

That said, the main point of the battle limit was to limit how much you could play all at once. It would work out the same if I set it to a number of hours per day (actually, I think by that model you'd probably get to play less, and story sections would frequently get interrupted).

The latter not everyone can even do

True.

specially kids and teenagers without credit cards of their own, who is your main demographic for a game like this.

The entire point of the exercise is to broaden the demographic. I see no reason why the Farmville moms can't play Final Fantasy if it's right there and free.

• edited 2012-08-01 13:24:24

You know, I've seen a lot of people claim that the original Red/Blue Pokèmon designs were the best and it's all been downhill from there, but if you actually look at what they looked like in Red/Blue...

I'm not really seeing it.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

^ What is that? (I only started with Gold/Silver so bare with me)

Moltres.

• Red/Blue had some ridiculously awful sprites.  Presumably, the art that the sprites were based on was better, but really I don't think the designs of the first batch of Pokemon were significantly better than any later ones.

• edited 2012-08-01 13:27:33
    Ninja'd.
  • Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    103.png
  • There is love everywhere, I already know

^ Bulbacutor?

^^^ My guess would have been Doduo...

• edited 2012-08-01 13:39:37
    You can change. You can.

I don't think character design and quality of art are necessarily related. Like, if Jack Kirby drew a really awful looking Silver Surfer, his design would not stop being unique (It's a surfer. That is silver. And goes through space on a surfboard. What's not to love?)

That's true, but I think it's worth noting that it was in later generations that those Pokèmon actually started looking good.

Though admittedly they did look good in other media to start with, which helped mitigate the sprite quality issues somewhat, since any kid who encountered Moltres back then knew what it was really supposed to look like.

• You can change. You can.

I suppose, but what I think people complain about is simply that the creature design in the new games tend to be somewhat weird.

Like, you have Moltres. That's a bird. On fire. Simple, right? And then you go to the new ones and you get ice cream pokemon. 

• edited 2012-08-01 13:48:25

The thing is, you're comparing the best of first generation to the worst of fifth generation. I mean, first gen has two Pokèmon that literally look like piles of shit. And then in fifth gen you've got stuff like Serperior, which is a snake with a popped collar and some neat little patterns along its body. Or Zebstrika, which is a zebra with its stripes shaped like lightning bolts. I wouldn't say any generation is inherently better.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I've heard arguments that the 1st gen sprites were supposed to emphasize that Pokemon's joke or gimmick (I can see it for, say, Geodude but not much else), and something about caricatures.

Yeah, I don't see it.

• edited 2012-08-01 13:50:31
    Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    @Juan: Alternatively, look at something new like Tepig. It's... a pig. Then you go back to the originals and get lazy stuff like evolutions that are just three smaller Pokemon stapled together.

There's been questionable designs from the start.

ninjask'd
  • Kichigai birthday!!
    Someone post Golbat or Jigglypuff, they got the best sprites

• Has friends besides tanks now
    I know this discussion's already been had at least once, and CU and Forz pretty much have it.
  • Golbat's sprite is hilarious but I don't really see anything wrong with Jigglypuff.

Granted, it's just a yukkuri so it's kind of hard to screw up.