If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Legend of Korra

Comments

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!
    Dude they were terrorists from the very beginning.

It's almost like the writers disapprove of extremism or something!
  • You can change. You can.

They were terrorists, but their cause is still pretty sympathetic. I think the issue is whether the show will aknowledge this when it concludes the arc.

• There's still some ambiguity present. Remember how Amon called the Wolfbats out on their bullshit?

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

They were terrorists, but their cause is still pretty sympathetic. I think the issue is whether the show will aknowledge this when it concludes the arc.

Implying terrorists don't have a sympathetic cause. They wouldn't be able to get their numbers without a sympathetic cause!

There is no need for a morally grey conflict in Legend of Korra.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Yeah, it's not like the Equalists are exactly saints themselves. They will go after all benders, regardless of who benefits from their powers or not. Guys like Tarlok and the council are what they are preaching against, but there are plenty of dirt broke benders like Mako and Bo Lin. That and if they did wipe out bending, they would fuck their society over. For all the advances in tech, the Avatar verse still uses bending as all kinds of technological short cuts from smithing, electricity generation to transport and medicine.

>They were terrorists, but their cause is still pretty sympathetic.

Magneto has a sympathetic cause too. 

The thing is when you decide to to take up arms and encourage and enact violence against others that places you squarely in the 'Doctor Doom' camp.

• edited 2012-05-18 14:33:52
    You can change. You can.

Oh, I'm not saying that the equalists shouldn't be opposed or anything. I'm just saying that if the show just limits itself to "Beat the equalists and let that be that" then it would be nothing short of jarring.

There is no need for a morally grey conflict in Legend of Korra.

Shouldn't have chosen the offspring of Doctor Doom and Magneto as their opponent, then.

• edited 2012-05-18 14:43:10
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

There I agree, but on the other hand they haven't done much with it.

I mean the closest we see to actual inequality is the homeless dude. I mean the most prominent non-benders are Henry Ford, his daughter, and Doctor Doom and the Masters of Evil.

Basically I'm expecting another asspull like TLA.

• No rainbow star

Just watched the "And the winner is" episode

I'm wondering if, at any point, Korra might be taught how to extend her earth bending to metal bending?

Also, I have a feeling that blood bending might be shown again and used as an example by Amon as to how bending is 'evil'

• He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

Shouldn't have chosen the offspring of Doctor Doom and Magneto as their opponent, then.

That offspring was raised by William Stryker so as morally grey his philosophy is, those teachings nullify every bit of them.

• edited 2012-05-18 23:29:57
    Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

I mean the closest we see to actual inequality is the homeless dude. I mean the most prominent non-benders are Henry Ford, his daughter, and Doctor Doom and the Masters of Evil.

You mean you didn't notice the all-bender Council, the police force made up of Metalbenders? Going outside of Republic City, the Fire Nation has an all bender priesthood, and Omashu's entire infrastructure is based around Earthbending.

It's not just a question of overt oppression, it's a question of privilege, and benders have a hell of a lot more.

^Yeah, but juxtapose that to the non-benders we see. A couple of rich people and straight-up supervillains.

And all the people on the street? We can't tell if they are benders or not until they start pushing the the elements around.

That offspring was raised by William Stryker so as morally grey his philosophy is, those teachings nullify every bit of them.

Regardless of whether Amon is a dick and probably planning to abuse his followers once he gets control over Republic City, it doesn't stop the fact that the show has put itself in a corner by creating a conflict about privilege. It either addresses the topic or it doesn't. If it doesn't, the story is simply weaker because of it, because there's no point in adding something to an story without taking into account as many ramifications it can have unless it's a trivial matter and the main conflict of the story is hardly a trivial matter.

The only absolute solution I could see is taking away everyone's bending or giving everyone bending powers.

The show sure as isn't going to do the former because then... well, no second season. The latter is also highly unlikely.

I'm getting ready for asspulls in the future.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

or giving everyone the means to defend themselves against benders

Well, with chi blockers (which seem to be pretty common in Korra's era) wouldn't that already be there?

Also, I still think it would have made more sense for Sokka to found the police than Toph.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

it's not widespread enough, I'd imagine

also

Imagine more of an Internal Affairs thing around benders

people keeping benders in check

The way I see it, the only possible solution that would satisfy me is if there turns out to be a splinter cell within Amon's terrorists who topple them over, make a truce with Rep. City's government and then they make it so that the city council always has an equal number of non-bender and bender representatives. 

of course, this is obviously far-fetched so whatever

I dunno. Republic city came about because Aang had to work with Zuko to find a way to deal with the Fire Nation colonies from the last war. Instead of just resetting things to the default of the Earth Nation getting the land back and kicking out the Fire Nation people who moved there or were born there, they managed to find a compromise. The Avatar's role is about finding balance, not preserving the status quo, so I trust they might have Korra and everybody manage to work something out.

I mean hell her whole training in air bending is about getting her to be more cerebral and think about stuff.

• edited 2012-05-18 23:56:33
    They're somethin' else.

Apologies if this was already posted.

• No rainbow star

Anybody else think Amon trains and uses chi blockers not because he wants to make people equal, but because he wants benders to hate them, thus leading to chi blocking being something seen as dirty and made illegal, allowing him to control all the chi blockers?

I think it's just the utilitarian fact that Chi blockers are useful in stopping benders.

• No rainbow star

^ Yes, but he could have gone a non evil route (at first) and gotten training for every non bender in the arts of chi blocking, then initiated the evil plan and riled everybody up to use their chi blocking to take down the benders en masse

As it is, though, his group is the only source for chi bending now, which gives him a lot of control over them

I'm overthinking this, aren't I?

• edited 2012-05-19 00:49:46
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Nah, trust me. You haven't seen the overanalyzing tumblaaar has done.

In any case, I don't think Amon's goals are really to spread double-hate. I think he wants to annhilate benders.

Or possibly something more self-serving.

• No rainbow star

^ Well, my whole idea there was that the double hate wasn't really the main goal, just more a way so he could be guaranteed he didn't have, say, rouge chi blockers going and teaching benders how to counter it due to realizing Amon is insane. If the Equalists are the only ones able to provide the training, then I assume it wouldn't be hard for Amon to stamp out any inside resistance to him

• edited 2012-05-19 10:33:05

Well, the Sato guy was an ally of the Equalists. WHAT A TWEEST. I expected Asami to be in on it too though.

And he devloped mechas. Fuck yeah.

Other than some sound balancing issues (as in, sometimes the background music drowned out what the characters were saying), this was a pretty good episode.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

So I finally watched Episode 6 after a week of putting it off. Great episode all around, but is anyone else getting really tired of every bender that faces an Equalist suddenly losing their ability to aim almost entirely? Seems like lazy choreography to me.

• edited 2012-05-19 13:24:37
    No rainbow star
    ^ I think it's reasonable. The first few guys Amon probably studied an insane amount so that he could dodge them. This convinces everyone that he is an untouchable monster. Now people aren't thinking clearly when fighting him or the equalists because they are scared out of their minds, so they start missing
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

Brian Konietzko and Sifu Kisu being huge dorks (Alex no Alexing):