If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Legend of Korra

Comments

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^They control metal wires to Spider-man around the city.

• Oh man, episode 4. Can't wait to see what happens next.

• No rainbow star
    ^^ Metal Benderman, Metal Benderman. Does whatever a Metal Bender can. Shoot some web? No he can't. He is not Spiderman
  • MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

You know what bugged me about episode 4. Mako getting hit by a sexy rich girl who just happens to be willing to fund his team. If this doesn't turn out to be a part of the villains' plot I will be annoyed.

• I leave this thread for a few hours, and it explodes. All in favour of turning this into a general Korra thread?

Fine by me.

• No rainbow star

I can't see to find good quality video of it =/

Isn't it at 720p on Nick's site?

• No rainbow star

...You see, I never think to check the animator's website

• You know what bugged me about episode 4. Mako getting hit by a sexy rich girl who just happens to be willing to fund his team. If this doesn't turn out to be a part of the villains' plot I will be annoyed.

You did see her riding gear, right? The dark leather and green goggles? Totally an Equalist.

• No rainbow star

I watched all four episodes

...How IS that guy taking away bending abilities? Also, with chi blockers existing, couldn't they, instead of resorting to extremes, just train people to block chi in self defence against any benders who abuse their powers?

Also, Korra is a bit of an ass to that one guy in the park. Yeah, bend at the guy saying that benders are using their powers to oppress non benders. THAT will get you support!

• edited 2012-04-30 07:42:54
    We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year
    ...How IS that guy taking away bending abilities?

Presumably, the same way Aang did it in the first series.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

What, energybending? Pretty sure that that's a no for anyone who isn't the Avatar being taught by the Lionturtles.

^That's why I think Amon's spiritbending is just an advanced form of chi-blocking (maybe something that blocks the chakras themselves)?

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

The Lion Turtle's explanation of energy-bending implied that it was at least common before the Avatar Spirit existed.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Yeah, but it's also a lost technique. That's how it goes- the protagonist picks up the lost technique from a time when people used them as commonplace, but nobody else can because the protagonist is speshul.

There is also the fact that it would be more than a little bullshit for all of the ancient-super-dooper-hard-to-do-techniques that only the most skilled/lucky practitioners could do are suddenly becoming commonplace.

That's why I think Amon's spiritbending is just an advanced form of chi-blocking (maybe something that blocks the chakras themselves)?

Seems more plausible to me. Chi blockages are nothing new. Hell, even losing the ability to bend isn't new; Zuko did that in the original series when he lost his drive.

• I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God, and swear solemnly to press my thumbs into Chocolate America's eyeballs until he is blinded, to directly emasculate sporting figures, to beat the shit out of tumblr users with baseball bats, and to quietly appreciate what Waylon Smithers being gay means to me.

I'm guessing that the man who gave the "selfless loan" to Haroshi Sato was Amon, and that Sato is funding the Equalists. Just look at all their fancy gear, equipment, etc.; how else would they be able to afford it? I also surmise that Amon is using the new connection between Korra and Sato, now that he's funding the Fire Ferrets, to try and get at Korra, and that Sato's daughter will sacrifice herself for Mako when she learns that she truly loves him or something.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Tangentially related, but I have discovered the best thing in the Avatar setting. Wang Fire, aka Sokka's fake beard and accent disguise while he was in the Fire Nation. 

• You can change. You can.

Juan seems to be enjoying without having finished Avatar so...

Yeah, so far it seems pretty self-contained and the show does give some exposition on whatever relevant elements are needed for the particular event or episode that you might have missed for not watching the original.

• No rainbow star
    Yeah, advanced chi blocking seems to be the most likely

Calling it now: By the end of Legend of Korra, Korra will lose her bending abilities to Amon, but then something (maybe a sudden Avatar state forcing her chakra to open up? It's always seemed like the Deus ex Machina of the show) will let her get her powers back and defeat Amon

My prediction: Korra is going to go Avatar State at the exact wrong moment, and Amon uses the ensuing devastation to vilify everything he's been saying.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

you mean "justify" there, I think

• No rainbow star
    ^^ He did say that he has plans...
  • The day is Sunday, but what time does it come on? I think I might watch it.

8 pm.
  • He who laments and can't let go of the past is forever doomed to solitude.

I think Asami crashing on Mako is just a Crash into hello, they seem to want to have a Love triangle. Whether the Satos are involved with the equalist or not it is still early to tell.

• edited 2012-05-01 01:35:48
    I'm a damn twisted person

So, bets on how long until Aang's Force Ghost shows up to help Korra out like how Roku helped him out?

Also, I wonder how the fandom is reacting to her breaking down in terror after an ambush designed to make her feel helpless. Standard Korra is a wimp idiots should be popping up soonish.

Korra is completely clueless about the spiritual side of being an Avatar. She won't be seeing dead people for a while.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Dude, she had a flashback to when Aang was confronting some folks in the city hall after Amon knocked her out. Not intentional on her part, but she is still slipping into the spiritual side of being the Avatar.