If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

The Legend of Korra

edited 2012-04-30 02:55:52 in Media

Four episodes so far and I didn't know.

Comments

• Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the last Day.
    I still need to watch Avatar.
  • You poor soul. I can tell you so far it's living up to my expectations, at least.

• MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

Meanwhile I'm waiting for the far superior Scooby-doo: Mysteries Incorporated to start airing.

• Brb laughing forever

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Pretty sure that was a joke...

Mysteries Incorporated is both a better, more well-paced show -and- doesn't have a batshit fandom to deal with.

• If I've learned anything from Malk and Juan, they never joke when it comes to opinions that don't make no sense. The show is barely 4 episodes in so there is no way it's pacing can be criticized, and I'm pretty sure there are rabid Scooby Doo fans out there, like TvT (okay that's self-explanatory but still)

Not trying to start a fight here, really.

• edited 2012-04-29 04:10:25
    MORONS! I'VE GOT MORONS ON MY PAYROLL!

For record, 'four episodes in' is a quarter of the season. 

Keep in mind, I think Korra is good. It does some things that annoy me (like the active shipper bait and the fact that I still don't really have much of a bead of Mako's character) but it is a strong show. Scooby-doo: MI is just better.

As for fandom, when Velaggy and Fraphne fans start going batshit at each other to the point it eclipses the rest of the fandom then I might believe the Scooby fandom is anywhere near as bad as Avatar's.

Also, no fight. Just discussion.

• Fair enough. I also speak having seen both shows, and Scooby Doo has never impressed me. I do think its a good show though, but the whole kids solving mysteries thing has been done, parodied, deconstructed, reconstructed and everything in between. Although, I guess old formulas like that work pretty well.

• I have opposite problem of OP: I've watched in agony (well, sort of) as everyone raves about how good Korra is, but I'm not ready to start it. I need to watch more than just the first season of Avatar, which I'm amazed I was able to fit in when I did have that school break. I'm leaping right to it as soon as I get home.

My situation with trying to watch stuff at school is so weird. Everyone's like "Get Netflix!" and I'm like "My family has it already!" and they're like "So then what's the problem?" and I'm like "Lol forgot username and password and they refuse to tell me because I should be working, not watching TV" and yet again, people are probably thinking "Man, that guy, he's nearly 22, why does he let this happen..."

I just can't keep myself from turning all posts deeply personal, can I? But yeah, Korra, it's there, and I'm really excited. (I also have to somehow get caught up on Sherlock, and start Supernatural. God, I'm so Tumblr-influenced...)

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^You know you don't HAVE to use Netflix, there are streaming sites with both series all over the internet.

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

>streaming

• I'm mildly interested in watching this show but...would I have to have watched Avatar: The Last Airbender first for it to make sense?

• We Played Some Open Chords and Rejoiced, For the Earth Had Circled the Sun Yet Another Year

Yeah, you kind of do.

• Well not necessarily, but it would help with the backstory, but it's not required. The characters are mostly new, and the conflict they face is new. There is exposition to keep new viewers up to date as well if you're really interested.

Juan seems to be enjoying without having finished Avatar so...

inb4 Juan denying everything.

• I remember never really giving Avatar a chance, even though I was in it's core demographic when it was airing.

Kind of regret that, considering how good it apparently is.

I honestly think most of Avatar's acclaim comes from how much more sophisticated it was compared to other cartoons airing at the same time. Now that it's finished and the hype is mostly dissipated, some of its flaws are a bit more obvious.

• edited 2012-04-29 19:19:42

I don't use typical streaming sites because they usually suck. I mean, I used to use animefreak.tv to watch anime, and that was pretty decent as such sites go...but the player still often wouldn't work, and their dubbed Gundam 00 season 2 was the version aired on American TV that cut off the post-credits scenes, so I missed a lot of important stuff!

I too regret not giving Avatar a chance when it was on. But then again, TV-watching is not ingrained in my life and I'm very cautious about trying new shows when I'm busy if they don't immediately seem amazing just from a description. I was watching basically just Lost and maybe 24 at the time Avatar came out. Nothing animated, certainly, and I didn't get into anime until after high school.

I think a lot of its sophistication came more from its potential than its reality. The characterwork is really basic and Sokka and Zuko are the only ones that really grow all that much and Azula and Ozai don't really have that much in motivation beyond world domination.

Let's not even get started on that asspull of an ending.

• edited 2012-04-29 19:21:03

I honestly think most of Avatar's acclaim comes from how much more sophisticated it was compared to other cartoons airing at the same time. Now that it's finished and the hype is mostly dissipated, some of its flaws are a bit more obvious.

Pretty much. I remember watching it a few times and not thinking it was anything special. I guess people were just impressed because it had, GASP, morally complex characters and hints of genocide, which is pretty rare for Western cartoons aimed at a pre-teen/early teen demographic.

Personally, I'll die a happy man if they revive Exosquad, even though there's about a .09% chance of that ever happening. That was a badass cartoon.

• I would've thought more people here had seen Avatar before.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

Avatar is one of those things where the hype (and who that hype came from) soured me to a degree. I did end up giving it a go, but then I was turned off by the horrendous animation and not particularly interested by the premise. While the historical China setting is a good change of pace and something I completely encourage, the fact that the concept was then spent on elemental magician groups as per 20th century pulp fantasy was a bit disappointing. The meeting of martial arts and magic is generally a good idea, but for me the balance leans too heavily towards the magic side of the equation. 

I personally didn't care enough to stick around to see a whole character arc, so perhaps with a stronger appreciation for the characters and a better understanding of the point I'd like it better. 

On the other hand, the whole "martial arts produce magical results" thing would be pretty sweet in context of vidya. 

but then I was turned off by the horrendous animation

wat

I'm not sure if it was just the episodes, my TV or what, but I distinctly recall watching Avatar and it having stupidly choppy animation. I noted this to the friend I was with and he couldn't see it, nor could my younger brother. Perhaps I was simply having a mild, bad-animation-inducing hallucination. 

• edited 2012-04-29 20:25:07
    No rainbow star

...How is it choppy?

You should give it another watch and maybe state to us where it goes choppy so we can see if you're insane or not

• edited 2012-04-29 20:27:25

>but then I was turned off by the horrendous animation

Wat. Avatar has problems but if you think it has bad animation there's something wrong with your eyes

Also, I don't see what's wrong with leaning on the magic side. That's kind of the point of magic kung fu. 

Wait... did you see the canyon episode with the two different tribes with grudges? Because it's agreed to be the show's low point.

• Wasn't Avatar praised for its choreography?

It was as though there were missing frames -- not enough to decontextualise what was going on, but to making it jarring. And I'm used to awful anime animation, too. 

And there's nothing really wrong with leaning on the magic side, but I personally tend to find low magic more interesting. Especially if it has Byzantine rules for activating, like "two swords using the Swallow's Tail technique must ring together on the dawn of the winter solstice". 

• edited 2012-04-29 20:36:46

I don't mind that for stuff like Hellblazer and Victorian horror stories to an extent, but for ancient fantasy stories it tends to be  way too dull and pretentious, especially when they try to put Faustian twists that try too hard to be clever.

It can be done well, but I dislike when you take the magic out of a magical setting for pretty much the same reason I hate things like Smallville. It takes the wonder out of it and replaces it with tedium with the misconception that it's more clever or 'realistic'.