If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

"Help" is an interesting word for your zaps. :>

• "It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!!"

Have to see how knights like being burned by FIIIIRE!

• So I was just bitten by the Magic bug really, really hard.

halp

About time!

Did you make a Knights deck yet?

• edited 2013-06-05 10:04:02
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

Yep. With some regular humans and some angels, plus a few black cards and lands (but no black creatures). 

For an all-out knightly deck, I was thinking

• Knight Exemplar x 4

• Kinsbaile Cavalier x 4

• Hero of Bladehold x 2

• Accorder Paladin x 4

• Puresteel Paladin x 4

as my creatures. For indestructible, double-striking knights who get a variety of bonuses and the possibility of free equip costs, all the while generating 1/1 soldier tokens that always turn out to be at least 2/1, if not more. This is reasonably close to what I currently use for creatures, actually, but currently my deck has stuff like Fiend Hunters, a Champion of the Parish and some angels (Angel Skirmisher ftw). Most of my sorceries are offensive in nature, and I tend to use a reasonable amount of artifacts (seven or eight, I think). 

• edited 2013-06-05 10:12:22

I'm kind of miffed that Modern Masters is being released this Friday.

I'm leaving to go to Summer School on Friday, and knowing how limited the release is and how high demand is for it, it'll probably be sold out of the local game shop by Saturday.

• So I've been thinking of how to make a super trolly ninja deck to play against my friends (cuz this is too cruel to play on strangers imo) and here's what i've thought of so far. However I'm not convinced that my ratios will be up to scratch so some critique would be welcomed.

Creatures:

Ninjas:
    - Higure, the still wind  x2
    - Mistblade shinobi       x4
    - Okiba-Gang shinobi   x2    Total= 8

Unblockable:
    - Invisible stalker        x4 
    - Inkfathom infiltrator  x4
    - Dimir Infiltrator        x2
    - Minamo sightbender  x2    Total= 12

Artifacts: 
    - Whispersilk cloak      x4 
    - Neurok Stealth suit    x2
    - Ronin warclub           x2    Total= 8

spells/instants:
    - Spell syphon             x3
    - Mystic restraints        x2
    - Encrust                     x2
    - Second sight             x1     Total= 8

Land:
    - Drowned catacomb    x4
    - Swamp                     x5 
    - Island                       x15   Total= 24

• edited 2013-06-06 11:38:33

Minamo Sightbender isn't really all that great, so try replacing them with another unblockable creature, such as AEther Figment, or maybe some more Dimir Infiltrators. 

Given how many of your creatures are unblockable, Whispersilk Cloak is probably redundant, so take them out and add something else, such as counterspells or bounce spells. Definitely consider adding Ninja of the Deep Hours, it's a must-have for any Ninja deck.

Take out the Neurok Stealth Suits and add Swiftfoot Boots if you have any. Instead of Mystic Restraints, try Sleep.

Finally, try using Rune Snag instead of Spell Syphon, and see if you can make room for four instead of three.

• I'd use Ornithopter, too.

And yeah, definitely run Ninja of the Deep Hours.

• "It took hundreds to kill me but I killed humans by the thousands. I am sublime!!! I am the true face of evil!!!!!"

Or some aetherling's if you want to be a real cunt.

• edited 2013-06-06 21:56:02
    I tend to fight a lot of zappy decks, hence all the hexproof that would be useless against most decks.

Also whispersilks have been good to me in the past, for protecting my mistblade's and higure while spamming abilities.

Swifted boots do look sick though I think I'll try to find some.

I think I will replace minamo with ninja of the deep hours just to make the deck a little faster.

I can see how sleep will be useful but if my deck is working properly the opponent will only have 1 maybe 2 creatures on the board and mystic restraints can be cast as an instant.

I was looking at rune snag but decided against it since its limit of mana to counter it is 8 with 3 rune snags in my graveyard. Where as spell syphon costs the same and is one extra mana to counter for each blue permanent I control (I'm fairly certain that mixed blue permanents also count) so it ends up being 6ish mana by turn 4-5 on a good run of land and keeps on growing. @Stormtroper how would you use an ornithopter? I can't really think of any good strategies for it in this deck off the top of my head although I might be missing something.

And Greggy you know this is for your izzet and alex's indestructible knights, although it will probably still fall down on its face. lol

I'll just have to zap your creatures before they gain hexproof :)

• yea i know. man your izzet is bs i may just have to put a few redirects in just for you ;D

> implying you can get anything done before I've played a billion creatures 

:V

• I dunno alex my deck is reasonably fast, usually sending sending stuff back by turn 3-5 or countering from turn 2 onwards and the okiba will have you playing top deck by turn 5-6. And considering how much this deck stalls the opponent the games can go for 12-15 turns usually. 

besides i have ego erasure in my sideboard just for your knight type abilities XD

• Lostrega

I made a card. what do you guys think?

• it looks really cool although i would suggest that the -2 abillity is a bit unbalanced as it's a combat trick and card advantage at once.
    maybe if it was just a discard a card for +X/+0 and first strike 
    or make it a purely card advantage ability like " target player draws three and discard 2 cards from their hand"

i do however really like your -6 abillity as it is both aggro enough for red decks with haste and flying, as well as defensive enough for white decks with vigilance and the fact that it is just generally good for blue  

• Alright, I rebalanced her a bit.

• Yea this sounds about just the right balance i can see her being really useful, especially in commander.

Now all that's left is the fluff lol
  • Ah, I just realized that the -2 should say "up to one target creature you control" in case you don't have any creatures.

• I think the -2 was fine as it was originally. It's not really a combat trick since it's sorcery-speed, and as it is now it has a 1/3rd chance of doing almost nothing. Also, the emblem is underwhelming, compared to most other ultimates which all but win the game outright (though I do like the Lightning Angel reference--maybe you could improve it by putting a bunch of 3/4 Angel tokens into play).

I think you should compare it to other, similar planeswalkers: Sarkhan Vol, Sorin Lord of Innistrad and Ral Zarek, for instance. They have similar numbers but much better abilities (though her +1 is pretty good). I'd say she should be slightly better than any of those just because she's more restrictive, being three colors instead of two.

• I would still consider the -2 a combat trick at sorcery speed because of the first strike rule as it basically forces the opponent to choose between taking big damage or sacrificing a blocker to it, reducing their own board position.

And i suspect that the main flavour of this planeswalker is support rather than providing a win mechanic so having a emblem ability for its ultimate is in theme and that particular combo of abilities it gives can quickly translate to a win with the right bomb or clever abillity combo especially when the planeswalker itself is detaining the opponent's creatures in subsequent turns
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

~checks this thread for once~

What?!  They killed Cockatrice!  Those bastards!

...then again, I never even finished making even a preliminary deck for playtesting.

...speaking of which, my deck had ornithopters.  I like ornithopters.  Simultaneously, they're harder to kill than 1/1 creatures but are also nonthreatening.  And they don't cost anything.

• a little muffled

Cockatrice isn't really dead, btw. Someone non-German set up a server and it's running fine.

• Ornithopters are kool but if I'm going to make a deck around free creatures I'd do either a zombie bomb deck with rooftop storm and phyrexian obliterators or a trolly Kobold deck with shared animosity

My idea of a trolly deck -- okay, my only deck idea, period -- revolved around Darksteel Reactors.  Y'know, those "put one counter on this and if you have 20 you win" cards.  And then having fun with counters.  Which necessitates having lots of artifacts.  So ornithopters just made sense.

• Nice, you could probably splash G/U for Vorel of the hull clade to hit that counter limit quicker or try what Alex did with power conduit in his dragon artifact deck.
    Atm I'm looking at making a competitive troll deck using illusions of grandeur, donate and a tone of counterspells and land destruction or land changing to starve my opponent of mana. Calling it "how to lose friends" lol
  • edited 2013-08-08 09:22:09
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Ooh, I don't think Vorel of the Hull Clade was a card when I first tried building this a few years ago.  Looks awesome.  Seems like it has a Doubling Season sort of effect, but possibly for cheaper.

And my deck idea was green/blue with a lot of artifacts anyway, which is nice.  Green has regenerating creatures while blue has counterspells to keep my opponent at bay.

Maybe I'll revisit this sometime...

• What if you made a version of that deck with this:

I'd need a way to get red mana in my mana pool.

My immediate suggestion would be mountains.

Alternatively, you could run that artifact that makes all your basic lands tap for any kind of mana. There's some green enchantments that do that, too, so you might look into making the basis of your early game mana green.