If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• (hell, including me, I've spent over $100 on the game)

It's not even "printing out the cards and playing them on a kitchen table" (I don't believe that would be illegal either, but anyway)--it's more like suing someone for viewing Gatherer with a certain web browser, since that's where all the data for the cards comes from.

But aside from the technical aspect, they are probably in the right for this, since it's not hard to argue that it competes with their own online service. 

• a little muffled
    Printing the cards is certainly illegal or at least questionable. However Cockatrice does not come with pictures or even text of cards, only a built-in way to download them from Wizards' own database.

It looks like scraping the database in question is actually against its ToS however. :/
  • edited 2013-03-01 03:01:36
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    > (I don't believe that would be illegal either, but anyway)

This is a world in which it's illegal to sing Happy Birthday in public without paying a licensing fee. Why would that be so strange?

Did not know it just used Wizards' database, which would make a difference, but...

"It looks like scraping the database in question is actually against its ToS however. :/"

Definitely illegal then. Actually, that probably means it's breaking more than one law.

Edit: mobile site :/

• This is a world in which

Wait, I assume this is an US (and maybe Canada) exclusive thing. I know it's probably not enforced there either, but I'm pretty sure the law doesn't work like that here.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I assume this is an US (and maybe Canada) exclusive thing.

Well...I know the copyright applies to any country that's signed any of several international copyright treaties. I don't know the details of those countries' laws about public performances, admittedly.

• (Channeling the butthurt ghost of Thrash-Man)This obviously explains everything:

http://www.jewoftheweek.net/tag/hasbro/

W1CDd.gif

Actually, it doesn't, but I've wanted to use that GIF for ages now.

• You can change. You can.

So

There's another server that goes by the name of Woogerworks.com. You might want to use this if you like to play Magic online and stuff.

• Finally got to kill someone with Obsidian Fireheart. Everything burns.

• edited 2013-03-05 20:31:29

Did Cockatrice's client really scour through Wizard's database? You'd think they'd use the other hundred thousand million databases around the 'net instead.

Anyhows, there's always Magic Workstation.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Wizard's databases are always guaranteed to be up to date though.

Revealed at PAX East. So, yeah, that's pretty great, and I don't even like Gruul.

• a little muffled

Someone, somewhere is going to use that as a general against my Dralnu deck.

Some time later, I will be convicted of murder.

• Just equip Dralnu with Pariah's Shield, problem solved.

Sacrificing 6 permanents every time you cast a spell isn't a particularly great thing either.

• a little muffled

Well, maybe if I could somehow add Tajuru Preserver too...

Wait, does that even work? :o

• A bunch of stuff has been spoiled, stuff such as:

• edited 2013-04-12 16:53:14
    a little muffled

I like Far & Away because it's the first Dimir card this block that I actually want to run in Dralnu.

NuTeysa depresses me.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Why? The only thing I remember about her that seems funny is how her CMC is higher than that of her guild leader.

The Rakdos creatures I've seen so far have been super weird.

She just seems like a rather boring Commander, really. Admittedly, she's still good for my actual Teysa deck, but I wanted a new and sexy Teysa as a commander. 

• a little muffled

The new champions are all kinda meh to me. Teysa is the most interesting of them, really.

• edited 2013-04-12 17:35:01
    Has friends besides tanks now
    I think they're mostly pretty interesting, personally.

Also looked incredulously at Ral Zarek's ultimate.

EDIT: Ooooh, Blood Scrivener.
  • What I like about the new Teysa is her synergy with old Teysa.

That is pretty true, but I would have preferred if she wasn't just a card that went perfectly well with the other Teysa.

The new champions are all kinda meh to me. Teysa is the most interesting of them, really.

Yeap. Kinda sorta dig the Dimir one, but not that much. 

• edited 2013-04-12 18:36:33
    a little muffled

I think they're mostly pretty interesting, personally.
    Really? The Azorius and Dimir ones are literally just "do the same thing as a bunch of other cards, TIMES FOUR".

I lied before though, the Izzet and Golgari ones are actually worthy of being legendary (as is Teysa, I guess). Still.

• edited 2013-04-12 18:10:42
    But you never had any to begin with.

Blood Scrivener is neat. Also, it's nice to see Putrefy be reprinted. (no duel decks don't count :|)

• Link to this stuff?

• Varolz + Phyrexian Dreadnought super casual combo is a go!