If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• edited 2013-02-02 23:46:15
    Has friends besides tanks now

The way a lot of the cards look together makes my head hurt, too. Can't tell you why, but I just don't like looking at a lot of the cards in the set. Plus, a lot of the Izzet cards suck and I hate drafting with Bestiaire only to get forced into Izzet. Every guild in GTC is at least serviceable if you have to go with any one in particular. Simic is also fun as hell to play (though it requires an especially good pool).

• You can change. You can.

yo who up for EDH

• Has friends besides tanks now

Eh. Maybe if this draft goes quickly, and I still like the Zur deck I have.

• Awesome. Simic is mai waifu.

Or maybe Selesnya.
    That reminds me there's a bunch of moefied stuff from the Shandalar game (and some cards, too).

• a little muffled

Melissa DeTora has just locked up top 8 at the PT, making her the first woman to do so.

Nice.

• edited 2013-02-22 18:44:42

Anyone wanna play Modern (or whatever 60-card format you want, really)? I've got some new decks I want to try.

• edited 2013-02-27 23:15:08

Well, looks like Cockatrice isn't in the best spot. I can't say I didn't expect anything like this, though.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

I've never played Magic more than once, but that's disappointing. I was thinking some sort of online playing environment would be easier to get into than physical cards.

There are other clients, but Cockatrice was one of the best if not the best. So...yeah. Sad.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

(non-magic-player, so idunno if my opinion is well-informed)

From what I knew about Cockatrice, it does seem pretty obvious that this would happen eventually. 

Yeah.

Yeah, although there's like no legality to it. Playing with Cockatrice is basically the equivalent of printing cards and playing with the printed cards in a kitchen table.

There was no profit involved for any of the parties and most of the people who play on Cockatrice tend to you know, be people who already pay for cards. 

Playing with Cockatrice is basically the equivalent of printing cards and playing with the printed cards in a kitchen table.

Which is illegal. The only real difference is scale and visibility.

Is it? Like...really?

because if so, America is hilarious: The Saga just got another episode

Well. Yeah. It's reproducing a copyrighted work without permission. Pretty sure that's illegal in...most Western countries.

What is stupid and specific to the US is the law that if you don't defend a trademark, it gets taken away from you. 

But there's no profit involved? Like...last I checked, most countries don't pursue those cases of reproduction provided there's no profit involved? Which is why stuff like a Portal short can be made or whatever?

A Portal short is a derivative work. Printing out Magic cards is copying an existing work. Very different, legally.

last I checked, most countries don't pursue those cases of reproduction provided there's no profit involved?

No, provided it stays small-scale. Like, if you're printing out Magic cards and playing on the kitchen table, they don't really mind. If you're putting up a system that essentially lets anyone in the world play the game without buying it...well, that's a big deal.

• edited 2013-02-28 01:34:56
    If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

^^ Yeah, but companies don't care about that. You're using their copyright, that's enough to get you shut down right there.

Unless the company's owned by decent folks who don't actually mind.

Unless the company's owned by decent folks who don't actually mind.

Oh, come on. This applies to stuff like fan projects, but Cockatrice was, essentially, people playing the game without buying it. Hasbro aren't horrible people for not being okay with that.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

I shall tell this to Konami.

Um...okay?

I hope you realize I haven't the slightest clue what the hell you're talking about.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

They own Yu-Gi-Oh.

There's a few sites that allow you to play games online, the most prominent of which is Dueling Network.

Konami doesn't care- and, indeed, at one point, they were actually in on it themselves, with a client up and running on their website that allowed you to play the game online for free, with additional options to allow you to pay money.

Even after shutting down their own client, Konami hasn't expressed any interest in going after the many sites which allow you to play the game online.

That's really cool of them, but there's nothing wrong with shutting down something down like this.

It's an extremely silly move on both the business' side and the consumer's side. A large chunk of the people who played on Cockatrice played both online and offline (hell, including me, I've spent over $100 on the game).

Cockatrice served to keep people interested in the game even when there's nothing going on in real life for them to screw around with. That, in turn, keeps interest up when real-life stuff such as tournaments or the release of new decks do crop up.

It also allowed people who can't afford the cards to play the game anyway, which generates a whole lot of goodwill for Konami among the userbase.

Essentially, all Hasbro's done is piss off a chunk of the playerbase and prevent people from playing their game. Legalities aside, it was good for their business.

Fuck, I hate IP laws.

I'm not saying that it's a good idea. I'm saying they aren't assholes for doing it.

I didn't say they're assholes for doing it. I said they're assholes, and they did another extremely stupid thing.

And it's true! Hasbro's full of assholes. It's fucking ridiculous how assholish Hasbro is.

Did you know that, when they were producing ATLA toys, they didn't produce any toys of the leading female characters beyond Katara? No Toph, no Azula... Fucking bullshit.

• edited 2013-02-28 02:04:52
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

And it's true! Hasbro's full of assholes. It's fucking ridiculous how assholish Hasbro is.

Oh, no argument here on that matter.

Did you know that, when they were producing ATLA toys, they didn't produce any toys of the leading female characters beyond Katara?

Self-correction: There were no Katara toys, either.