If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• edited 2013-01-19 00:03:16
    The IRCs want you(r soul): irc.esper.net, #ijbm

Try right click > save link as on the links; your browser might have a buggy pdf plugin.

• edited 2013-01-20 10:31:50
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

ANOTHER Magic the Gathering puzzle...http://www.coinheist.com/rubik/magic_the_tappening/

You'll need login info to get to that page; click here and enter your choice of username and put #ducksoup in Channels and click connect (or join #ducksoup channel on Espernet IRC) for more details.

• It shows a login screen.

• edited 2013-01-20 12:52:44
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Edit: PM me if you want the username and pass.  I'd rather not get in trouble with the Hunt organizers.

• Man, I feel useless.

• a little muffled
    So. Gatecrash.
  • You can change. You can.

Full set is out guys

I don't really enjoy playing Magic that much anymore but these cards are making me want to build an EDH deck for each guildleader.

Except for the new Borborygmos. he's not bad. he's just...ok i guess

• edited 2013-01-21 12:53:24
    Has friends besides tanks now

He's way too pricey/flavorful to not have haste, imo. Set looks good, though.

IJBM: I can't decide if I would rather play my favorite guild or win cards at the prerelease.

• That's what I've been saying.

I just signed up for Boros either way, and then some more cards came out and it looks better than anticipated (first striking 3/2 for 2 at common, yessss). Everything I see about Simic suggests that's a hilariously terrible matchup for Boros (why aetherize, why), but otherwise it's looking good.

• edited 2013-01-21 15:00:49

Boros looks like a good pick, yeah, and if it's one you liked enough to want to play anyway, I guess that works out real well. I think I'll go with Gruul, myself, since they already seem really strong (too strong for Dimir and probably Orzhov to deal with in sealed, at least), and because I can splash for Boros or Simic, which look to be the next/strongest, depending on how the packs turn out. Plus, I personally imagine the guild letter from Borborygmos will be much cooler than one from Aurelia.

• edited 2013-01-21 15:01:48
    a little muffled
    Play your favourite guild, always. It's unlikely they'll turn out so unbalanced that guild choice is the difference between winning and 0-2-drop, even if Izzet in RTR does provide a counterexample.
  • edited 2013-01-21 15:40:38

Dimir's looking like the Izzet of Gatecrash, though, if not quite to the same degree, and that was one that I was considering at first. Good thing I just remembered that Crypt Ghast is a thing (not that I'll probably pull it). So . . . probably Orzhov (which can also splash Boros, if not as effectively as I'd like) because I have more black/white clothing and some leftover gray Dragonshields, but Gruul is a close second now since I'm generally inclined towards aggro nowadays.

(Alternatively I could go to two prereleases and hold off on the full version of Scrivener for a while longer)

I also realized that I have no favorite guild when I think about it more. I mean, I have guilds I dislike, I guess, but I can't decide on a favorite, and I have good reasons for liking the ones I like.

• a little muffled

Dimir's looking like the Izzet of Gatecrash, though, if not quite to the same degree, and that was one that I was considering at first.
    I would expect the milling guild to be good in Sealed, generally speaking.

• edited 2013-01-21 16:27:00

I don't know if they have that much mill/mill support this time around, though. For Draft, I'm sure, but I don't know if Sealed would work for it, unless your packs are nuts and you get workable quantities of the good mill cards and can put a deck together that holds up against the more aggressive decks. Cipher only has a few cards that work for milling (I think they were Paranoid Delusions and Whispering Madness, which is a rare), though they admittedly have a fair number of creatures that are tough to block. Upon another lookthrough, they're probably not as bad as Izzet, but they don't seem to have anything with the raw efficiency of Tome Scour and Mind Sculpt, to draw on M13 as an example.

Actually, that reminds me that a Glimpse the Unthinkable reprint would have been cool. Ah well. Maybe the disruptive element of the guild will be better than it looks.

• a little muffled

Sealed games are long. You don't need a critical mass of mill necessarily, just a few repeatable ones. In Sealed, unlike pretty much any other format, I'd play a solid repeatable mill card in a deck that doesn't have mill as a plan A, provided I don't have 23 cards playables that contribute to that plan A (which in Sealed you rarely will).

On the flip side, aggro decks in Sealed tend to be weaker than usual unless you have a couple of bombs because it's unlikely you have enough bears and giants to "go under" most opponents.

• edited 2013-01-21 19:30:52

With six packs, there's ample room to get bombs, I think. I should probably stop talking and just see how it turns out, but I got blown out at the 2013 prerelease by faster decks, and I won't know if this particular set will accommodate the people who want to drag the game out any more than 2013 did until I've played it.

Actually, which prereleases have you been to? What did you think of each set's limited environment?

• Can't say I'm impressed with most of what was spoiled today (unsurprising, as the "normal" common dudes for limited hadn't been spoiled) but I'm still looking forward to the set. I'll go to the prerelease maybe probably in theory I think.

• a little muffled

@All Nines: Prereleases I've attended: Coldsnap, Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, Lorwyn, Morningtide, Shadowmoor, Eventide, Shards of Alara, Conflux, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia, Magic 2012, Innistrad, Dark Ascension, Avacyn Restored, Magic 2013, and Return to Ravnica. I did win packs at most of those events, but I wouldn't really say I'm an expert on any of those Limited formats; in general I've never been a huge Limited player. Sealed tends to be somewhat luck-based with the guy who opens a Pack Rat or equivalent coming out on top, and prereleases even moreso when people aren't yet familiar with all the archetypes.

M13 was a bit above average in speed as far as Limited formats go, or that seems to be the consensus anyway. I honestly have no memory of my M13 prerelease. I think I 0-2-dropped that one, but with what deck I couldn't tell you.

• edited 2013-01-21 20:42:44

I take it 0-2-drop just means you lost twice and called it in? I went 1-3 at that one with some pretty good cards in blue/black (hell, I thought I was pretty lucky for blue/black, pulling three blue rares and a Trading Post), with my only win being against a player who was even newer than I was and made some mistakes here and there. The Red/White deck I played next, I went 1 for 3 against, but I just wasn't fast enough most of the time, and then I lost to an unremarkable red/green deck, and then . . . don't remember the next deck that I lost to. Probably had green in it. But if that set's an outlier, I guess that's fair.

I mean, I don't particularly want to call to reserve whichever guild, but Orzhov might be out by now anyway (they were down to eight, I think, a week ago). I wouldn't have any problems playing Gruul, though ideally I can go to two prereleases and play Gruul and Orzhov. -shrug-

• a little muffled

I take it 0-2-drop just means you lost twice and called it in?
    Yes.

I also realized that I have no favorite guild when I think about it more. I mean, I have guilds I dislike, I guess, but I can't decide on a favorite, and I have good reasons for liking the ones I like.

I honestly can't say with a straight face I dislike any of the guilds. I just love how each of them handle and play, especially with this new and sexy Ravnica thing the kids are raving about.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

FYI the solutions to all of Mystery Hunt 2013's puzzles will be posted in a few days, and when they are, I will post links to the two MtG puzzles that were featured.

yo yo yo who feels like EDHing gatecrash

• Has friends besides tanks now
    Went 2-2 at the prerelease playing Esper Midrange. I'll post details when I get back home.
  • a little muffled
    At prerelease eagerly awaiting cards.
  • Ahahaha how did I ever doubt playing Boros this is awesome.
  • a little muffled
    Opened foil Zegana and three sharks. Seems good.
  • Just won an incredibly close game thanks to 3-for-1-ing with Guardian of the Gateless. It was beautiful.
  • a little muffled
    Lost my first round to an insane Orzhov deck with all the extort cards. Blech, despite Zegana and the sharks my deck is pretty meh.