If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

Dimir >= your favorite guild.

• edited 2013-01-03 16:00:38
    smote
  • edited 2013-01-03 16:02:25
    Has friends besides tanks now

I like High Priest a lot, but I like mill more.

EDIT: Mmm, Mindcrank.

• A million times more?

• You can change. You can.
    That seems like a rather weak Guildmage, considering the rest we've had. >_>
  • edited 2013-01-03 16:15:40

It does? I admit that I don't usually pay attention to guildmages, but I doubt there are that many that are blatant combo fodder. Janky combos, maybe, but still.

^ Maybe.

• edited 2013-01-03 16:46:06
    smote

I have to agree though. Rix Maadi fucks up math, Korozda provides evasion and potentially neuters a kill spell, New Prahv provides better evasion and repeated detaining, Nivix Guildmage...isn't as great, but I think I'd still prefer it in most situations, and Vitu-Ghazi just wins the game if it's not dealt with.

I'm mainly thinking Limited, but even in constructed you have to reach a lot farther to use Duskmantle; all the other guys do their thing just fine on their own. (Well, maybe not Nivix.)

The problem is its abilities just don't have an effect on the board.

• edited 2013-01-03 19:42:03

Eh, they mostly seem overpriced, which I don't think justifies the utility. Duskmantle doesn't affect the board, sure, but it seems much more effectual in the right deck. Fitting it into constructed might be a struggle (though technically a turn 3 kill is possible with him in Modern), but the only other guildmage at the center of an infinite combo that I can think of is Izzet Guildmage. And Dimir is still coolest, trufax.

Anyone wanna play Modern, speaking of? Got some decks I want to test.

The only one I can think of as overprice is Vitu-Ghazi, really. 

• Vitu-Ghazi is probably the best. Just on its own it can totally dominate the board. If its abilities were cheaper it'd take away the specialness of their guild leader's 3-cost populate.

Oh I don't think it's bad, but it's definitely the most mana intensive of the Guildmages.

• Has friends besides tanks now

uuuuuuhhhhhhh

I believe the word you're looking for is "Sexy"

• edited 2013-01-04 01:23:14

thanks

i was too busy being stunned by all the

uhh

wow

Real talk time: There's already monored in Standard. I wonder if this guy will inspire monoblack? Or at least Bxyz decks that ramps real fast into Griselbrand or something, while quickly taking incremental advantage with its Extort in combination with the shitton of extra mana he gives you.

At the very least, Orzhov is definitely looking like the strongest constructed guild out of Gatecrash at the moment.

EDIT 2: Oh God it's a Spirit, too. Esper Spirits 2013.

• a little muffled

I'd be happy for this to make MBC real after all the promise for it M13 brought. (Liliana, Mutilate, etc.) Probably won't though.

• a little muffled

the guilds of ravnica will destroy each other
    What, again?

• Saw that going around tumblr. Maybe I'm just not a fontalist but I don't really see the raised letters.
  • a little muffled

They're more noticeable on some backgrounds than others. I can't see it at all on Azorius Guildgate but on Izzet it's plain as day.

• Neo-Pongify

Rapid Hybridization - U

Instant

Destroy target creature. It can't be regenerated. Its controller puts a 3/3 green frog lizard creature token onto the battlefield.

ooooh pongify

• No, this one puts frog lizard tokens and is thus 93% better

I dunno mang, the other one gave us monkeys

• edited 2013-01-05 13:50:46

I don't think the Sligh deck I'm working on counts as Sligh anymore* now that I've tossed a Greater Gargadon in, but goddamn do I love Greater Gargadon. Especially with Howling Mine.

*or if it ever did.

• edited 2013-01-09 09:04:52

Of course there would be a guildmaster that plainly trumps all the others. Of course.

On one hand, I like that she's such a stupidly efficient creature and plays very nicely with her own guild's mechanic, but on the other, I'm dismayed because it means Bant Control gets another toy. Then again, so do BUG and possibly Omnidoor. >:D

• a little muffled
    Wellp, there's my next general.

Though I think you're overrating her in Standard just a little. She's completely insane if she works, yes, but she costs six and requires another creature in play to do anything. I think she'll see play, but perhaps not ss much as you seem to expect.
  • edited 2013-01-09 12:08:12

If she didn't curve perfectly off of Thragtusk (especially if turn 4 was a Supreme Verdict), I'd agree that this is an easy card to overrate, but I think the meta would have to speed up immensely for her not to be playable in at least one type of deck, given that there's still plenty of ramp and plenty of big stuff like Angel of Serenity and Sphinx's Revelation being used in the decks that would already use Zegana. Bant Control can probably open two spots for her as it is, is all I'm saying.

• a little muffled
    Not saying she's unplayable. I'm quite certain she's going to see play. Just that you can't always assume the Christmasland scenario: sometimes she'll be a six-mana Merchant of Secrets.
  • edited 2013-01-09 12:23:24

I still don't see how my first post was overrating her, by the way, or how "a deck that would use her has another creature out at the moment" is a Christmasland scenario unless Thraglyfe was just Santa's gift for players who hate fun.

• Wellp, there's my next general.