If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• edited 2012-09-13 12:16:24
    Has friends besides tanks now

Hey, I didn't think of it either. :P

Also:

See, I wanted to play Rakdos at the prerelease, even though it'll probably be the weakest guild (and the stupidest is Selesnya, because I said so. >:[), but now I kinda want to play WU Control - or, as SA has termed it, "Da Police" - just to piss people off, and because, in spite of my tendency towards aggro, I like long games.

Also, going back to GenIzzet Wave, I'm amused that Izzet also has a way of directly countering it, in Counterflux.

• ^ I hadn't thought of that, but that's probably why that was printed, as a failsafe against epicExperiment breaking everything.
  • edited 2012-09-14 00:33:52

So, I thought of an idea for a Sealed League thing, going back to that other time I had an idea for a sealed league thing.

Maybe start with 8th Edition and go onward (as in, Modern, rather than getting into Alpha-era shenanigans. Though I'll readily admit a bias towards Modern that you're all totally aware of already. >.>). Each week, players could draft the next set in line, and then have some time to trade afterwards, at a direct 1-for-1 exchange rate (maybe even with paralleled rarities, if team play becomes an issue), and after that, there would be a Constructed tournament where players can use everything they have at this point, with seating based on how people did in their draft pods, and 4-3-2-2 or 8-4 for pack prizes, or something. Also, the first week, where people draft 8th Edition, everyone gets an extra 3 packs after the draft so they can put together 60-card decks, if not necessarily good ones at first.

Don't know how I would gather enough people to really make this cool, though. Thoughts on this whole idea?

EDIT: So, I went to Magic club today, and I tooootally could have used this card in my mill vs. mill duel.

I really love how situational this is.

• I think that's far too many boosters as prices (I think it'd feel like constructed too soon, reward people who are already winning too much, and put too much emphasis on winning on something meant to be just for fun). How about something like 2-1 prizes? 1-0? The winner chooses the next set to draft (no repeats)?

• edited 2012-09-14 09:53:03
    But you never had any to begin with.
    Thought Lash -> Psychic Spiral? *shrug*

EDIT: No wait that wouldn't work I'm dumb.
  • edited 2012-09-14 11:19:45

I think that's far too many boosters as prices (I think it'd feel like constructed too soon, reward people who are already winning too much, and put too much emphasis on winning on something meant to be just for fun). How about something like 2-1 prizes? 1-0? The winner chooses the next set to draft (no repeats)?

Hmm. 2-1 doesn't seem like much (unless we let them choose which packs they want cards from), 1-0 is certainly that good a reward, and letting them choose the next set might cause anticlimactic sets to come up near the end of the league. But standard tourney prizes would probably be too much for winning, yeah. Maybe four rare artifacts/lands from the set as promo prizes for the top four finishers? Or a rare of their choice from any set?

• Has friends besides tanks now

Three guesses as to what the card is, and the first two don't count.

• I'm guessing either Entreat the Angels or Bonfire.

• It was Bonfire.

I really love how situational this is.

I wouldn't underestimate that card. It's going to be the gamewinner in many a stalled Limited match.

• edited 2012-09-15 16:49:26

>implying stalled Limited isn't highly situational

And yes, it was Bonfire.

EDIT: So, uh, I just got six extra turns in a row playing with a friend. Killed him on the fourth extra with a Bonfire, though.

• edited 2012-09-17 13:01:12

What breaks my heart about this is that there's already essentially a 6/6 with evasion for 3 . . . and it's blue. (Fuck you Geist of St. Traft)

The secondary ability also breaks my heart . . . unless . . .

Rakdos Treasure Hunt? Rakdos Treasure Hunt. (By which I mean BR artifact creature shenanigans)

• ...that'd be great in an artifact creature deck.

Shame Scars of Mirrodin is leaving standard as soon as RTR comes in.

• edited 2012-09-17 17:59:32
    smote
    So most of the set just leaked. I wasn't sure about it before but I'm definitely going Azorious at the prerelease now. Something about its cards just makes me smile. I'm probably going to draft the set a lot too, though, since every guild has something to love. (The more I think about the populate mechanic, the more fun it seems.)
  • a little muffled
    I am prereg'd for azorius at my prerelease. Easy choice since I love white blue.

Also GoST does not really resemble a 6/6, more like a 6/2 trample.
  • I'm liking Izzet (dat Overload) and Golgari. I don't like Unleash very much, but Rakdos in general seems fun to play.

• You can change. You can.

I'm liking Unleash because it's flavour but not quite as playful as Scavenge, Overload or Populate are. 

Also, the new Rakdos is quite the amazing card. 

• I just feel bad for Abyssal Persecutor, compared to it.
  • edited 2012-09-17 19:45:52

I think I'll go Rakdos at the prerelease, just because, well, I have very little chance of winning anyway, and I might as well have fun. Although it seems to be genuinely, comparatively good aggro in limited; seeing as how RTR limited is looking to be sort of slow, that could be a good thing.

Though it's also tempting to play opposite colors with Azorius and be Da Police.

EDIT 2: Ooh, ooh, ooh, guild shirts! They're actually really cool. :D

EDIT 3: Rest in Peace is disgusting.

• Filibuster counters *giggle*

• But you never had any to begin with.

Azor Shrugged.

oh hay card that would be awesome if proliferate was a thing in standard after this

• a little muffled
    Filibuster counters are best counters.

EDIT 3: Rest in Peace is disgusting. <-- Hmm, delishush graveyard hate

not sure why it says tokens, though

• So tokens don't trigger "die" effects either. Like if you're playing a Golgari deck with Death's Presence out, it won't even work with their saprolings or whatnot.

(Although speaking of which, it's interesting that there aren't any saprolings this time around.)

• a little muffled
    There are saprolings, we saw them in the tokens Arcana. We only saw a Golgari-looking one though. Seems the Selesnya don't use them anymore. Too bad, I'd have liked a physical token of the Selesnya crystal saprolings.
  • Korozda Guildmage (the Golgari one) does use them. Maybe the Simic will have more.

Say, has anyone else here heard of Three Card Magic (though even if you haven't, it almost speaks for itself)? Because I just learned what it is, and I'd be really interested in playing it with some people, but I haven't fully caught up with SA's thread yet.

• a little muffled

3CB / 3CM is pretty cool. I'm a regular in the one on the Wizards forums but it's kinda dead right now.

It'd be fun to run one but we need a good number of participants for it to be interesting.

How many prospective players do we have?

-Me
    -You
    -Juan
    -Bastion
    -Stormtroper
    -Saigyouji
    -Zennistrad(?)
    -BlackHumor(?)

Even just four-six people could be interesting, though. 

• a little muffled

Yeah but only if everyone submits something. It's not really everyone's cup of tea.