If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• Shiny.

Also, it seems the Rakdos' death party thing is being emphasized more.

• edited 2012-09-05 11:36:53
    Has friends besides tanks now

Jesus Christ, that final ability. First thing that comes to mind is Prized Unicorn. But it seems like it would just be immensely exploitable. And I love it.

• I know Doubling Season combos with everything, but seriously, if you have that out and cast her, you can use her ultimate immediately and get six mini-Phages.

• Has friends besides tanks now

oh god

How could I forget Doubling Season? Six mini-Phages.

• a little muffled

Then you just need to add something to give them haste...

• You can change. You can.

yeah i mean it's not like fervor got reprinted or anything

._.

• edited 2012-09-06 08:06:03
    But you never had any to begin with.

Wizards, you make U Control sad. :<

As you all know, I approve.

• edited 2012-09-06 10:00:16
    a little muffled

@Saigyouji:

Wizards, you make U Control sad. :<
    By...giving it a card that it can play and which is more or less useless when played against it?

If you're playing a control deck and your opponent casts Wrath of God against you, countering it is unlikely to be a priority.

The decks this makes sad are the likes of Delver/Merfolk, aggressive decks with counterspells for protection.

• edited 2012-09-06 10:16:21
    You can change. You can.

I think she's referring to how many uncounterable cards Ravnica seems to be producing rather than just that particular card.

Also, anyone see Guild Feud? Shit's awesome, I tell you.

• But you never had any to begin with.

As Juan said.

See: Abrupt Decay. etc.

i totes expect a card that can counter uncounterable spells. or something like venser, shaper savant

Also, anyone see Guild Feud? Shit's awesome, I tell you.

I really want to see someone make a good deck out of it, yeah.

I figure that a deck with Guild's Feud is gonna be RUG and involve shit like Ponder, big creatures and GF itself.

• edited 2012-09-06 11:11:06

Well, Ponder can work wonders in general, yeah, but that would have to be Vintage or Legacy, or something (or EDH, I guess), since Ponder will have rotated out of Standard with RTR and is banned in Modern.

Huh. Thought it was reprinted for M13. Guess not.

• edited 2012-09-06 11:12:33

On the plus side, that might help to make Delver less ridiculous (if it even is; I haven't played Standard tourneys, but I know that a lot of people hate Delver, and it is a pretty good card). Hopefully without removing its viability.

• a little muffled

Well, Ponder can work wonders in general, yeah, but that would have to be Vintage or Legacy, or something (or EDH, I guess), since Ponder will have rotated out of Standard with RTR and is banned in Modern.
    Nobody's going to play Guild Feud competitively anyway, so...

@All Nines: Every deck dies when RTR comes out. Rotation, remember? A deck with Delver of Secrets may or may not exist (I'd bet on no) but it won't be the same deck anyway.

• edited 2012-09-06 11:24:13

Every deck dies when RTR comes out. Rotation, remember?

Well, if you define a deck's death as it not being the exact same deck, yeah, but I don't know if rotation will necessarily kill every prevalent deck type from the last Standard setting; they might come back in different forms. But I wouldn't know, I'm just positing; has a deck type from one rotation never carried through into the next? I agree that it's sort of unlikely, from what we've seen, that Delver will remain viable, though. But then again, there are about 200 cards that haven't been revealed, or something like that, and some of them are going to be Izzet (or monoblue, for that matter), and seeing as how Bonfire still exists and I've seen Delver used with Red, I wouldn't discount the idea entirely. This hypothetical Delver deck would just use different cards.

tl;dr: Some decks will die, but some might just trade swords for axes.

Of course, the most fun part will be seeing the new deck archetypes, or the ones from the past that will be re-explored. I, for one, welcome the Jund Superfriends.

hey man you never know that's what they said about lost in the woods

• edited 2012-09-06 12:01:19
    a little muffled

@All Nines: Delver without Ponder/Probe/Leak isn't the same deck, is the thing, even if it still runs Delver the card. The only times a deck really carries over between rotations is if it's a deck built around a parasitic mechanic from the block that's staying (see: Affinity, Faeries), but we don't have any of those right now. (Zombies comes close, but Metamorph/Image are huge parts of the deck's power.)

Keep in mind that even if a deck's core cards remain in the format, the entire metagame shifts so much that it's going to end up looking very different anyway. Really, SOM/ISD Standard and ISD/RTR Standard should be seen as two different formats.

As for Delver, keep in mind that it had no presence in Block Constructed, even though there was access to Delver itself plus Snapcaster, Stalker, Traft, Pike, etc. This is usually attributed to the lack of Ponder and Mana Leak, which we haven't seen suitable replacements for in M13 or what we've seen of RTR.

• edited 2012-09-06 11:33:38

Hmm. I see what you mean.

• I don't know who Leonos is but there should be a Gruul card with his head on a pike or something.
  • edited 2012-09-07 12:13:41

Are there any good cards in Modern like Manamorphose? I'm trying to make a UBR BurnBob Scepterpants deck, and so anything else that fixes mana for cheap while doing something else would be very cool.

• a little muffled

BurbBob Scepterpants?

Do you just mean Burn + Isochron Scepter or do the "Bob" and "pants" parts have any significance?

I ask because "Bob" and "pants" are actual Magic slang terms. Sorta.

• edited 2012-09-07 12:28:49

Man, Dark Confidant is one of the fuckawesomest cards in Magic. I dunno what "pants" is in Magic terms, though. Is it like legs?

• edited 2012-09-07 12:29:36
    a little muffled

"Pants" is an occasionally-used term for Auras (that enchant creatures).

Other clothing items sometimes pop up, but "pants" stuck more because I guess it was the funniest.

Ah. Well, the deck has enchantments, but not for creatures. Just Bloodchief/Pyromancer Ascension and Braids of Fire.

• edited 2012-09-07 14:53:34

Well, here's what I have so far. I don't have all sideboard ideas sorted out yet, though. I know Phantasmal Images and a Killing Wave or two will probably be in, though. Also, both are likely to change once Return to Ravnica is out. I'm also considering some Pacts of Negation.

4 Dark Confidant
    3 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Gitaxian Probe
    1 Toshiro Umezawa
    1 Pyromancer Ascension
    3 Mental Misstep
    3 Bloodchief Ascension
    4 Rune Snag
    3 Terminate
    4 Manamorphose
    4 Isochron Scepter
    3 Crumbling Necropolis
    2 Blood Crypt
    2 Shivan Reef
    4 Underground River
    2 Sulfurous Springs
    4 Watery Grave
    3 Dimir Aqueduct
    2 Braid of Fire
    2 Galvanic Blast
    2 Blightning
    2 Blood Artist

. . . In hindsight, this deck burns its user more than the other player.