If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• edited 2012-09-10 17:58:11
    Has friends besides tanks now

I wonder how long it'll be before someone breaks this card.

For Standard's sake, at least, thank God Phyrexian mana is cycling out. But I wonder if this is a sign that Delver will still be viable in some form. At the very least, Delver has a new bff.

• a little muffled

I don't think it's really a competitive Constructed card. Card disadvantage is no fun, even if it makes your guy big.

It's more interesting if you play with the old Izzet cards and have access to replicate.

• edited 2012-09-10 18:09:26

I could imagine it having some use in counter-heavy formats, depending on how often instants or sorceries are the cards that get counterspelled. I wouldn't know, though. It just seems like it could be useful that it turns spells that are being countered into counterspells and buffs simultaneously.

inb4 Soviet Russia jokes

• edited 2012-09-10 23:38:18

Uh. Well. At least it doesn't have Flash.

I also like the new, optional, repeatable Phyrexian Arena.

• You can change. You can.

I can think of a few uses for that. Mostly recycling ETB stuff and abusing LTB effects as well

• edited 2012-09-11 00:38:59

o hai thragtusk

Definitely abusable, this card is.

Too bad it's not a Wizard. I would play the shit out of it in my wizards deck.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Instead, it's part of an already extremely powerful deck type. :P

• Nivmagus Elemental + Radiate + Boomerang just for fun deck 20% completed.

why would you do that

are you horrible

nvm

• Cyclonic Rift

Awesome finisher.

Izzet's shaping to be best guild

again

• I'm also pleasantly surprised that the Azorius mechanic (detain) is actually useful this time around.

• Detain seems pretty great, but I wouldn't call Forecast useless. Proclamation of Rebirth in particular was half of a high-tier standard deck. Sky Hussar is pretty impressive, practically a free Phyrexian Arena in white token decks. Writ of Passage and Paladin of Prahv are both decent, especially in Limited. (And Pride of the Clouds is obviously great, though not necessarily for its forecast ability--but it's certainly come in handy for me a few times.)

I am hoping the Boros get a better guild mechanic this time around, though.

• a little muffled

Maro said the Boros mechanic is awesome, though I suppose he's hardly going to say a mechanic from an unreleased set is lame.

I actually like Radiance.

Well, because of the flavour

but still

• a little muffled

Radiance gave us Brightflame so I can't hate it. But all in all it's pretty boring and not very Boros-y.

I wouldn't say it's not Boros-y. I mean, maybe I'm misinterpreting things here, but fascistic over-the-top fantasy police that uses force to impose order and radiate (A mechanic that, when harming, uses over the top force to harm both allies and enemies in the name of order) don't seem that different. 

But yeah it's not something I like to play, but I think it's good at representing how Boros operates.

• Also, more sun imagery.

• edited 2012-09-12 11:13:33

Izzet's shaping to be best guild

again

Out of curiosity, how did Golgari fare in the original Ravnica sets? Because it's looking pretty strong this time around.

Of course, I'll play Rakdos at the prerelease anyway, because I like Rakdos, but still.

Golgari came with Delve, which was the strongest-to-the-point-of-being-broken mechanic.

But what I meant with Izzet being the best guild is simply that it seems to be the funnest to play, imo

• Has friends besides tanks now

Ah.

• edited 2012-09-12 14:42:05
    But you never had any to begin with.

You mean Dredge. :P

Also, Dimir's Transmute was pretty damn powerful too.

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POST:

Now I know why they included the can't be countered cycle.

• a little muffled

Meh. It's Cancel that can be kicked to hose storm. Honestly kinda lame imo.

• It's also Last Word. Which is pretty good at 3 cmc.

Not quite as impressive as the rest of the cycle, admittedly, but still not bad.

• a little muffled

It's also Last Word. Which is pretty good at 3 cmc.
    True. I'd still rather play Dissipate most of the time.

• Yeah, same.

Wait, I just realized: it's another counterspell that can be fetched with Sunforger. 

• a little muffled

How many of those do you really need?

I think the answer to that is "All of them"

• Has friends besides tanks now

I can't wait to put this in a deck with Pyromancer Ascension! And Storm! Izzet Genesis Wave, indeed.

like i said

sexiest shit

also i didn't think of storm. Oooh, that's clever