If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Magic: The Gathering

Comments

• You can change. You can.

Furthermore, honestly? On an eleven-drop, "dies to removal" is a pretty reasonable criticism.

Agreed. Specially in our current environment where lotsa creatures get protection from removal fairly often. Not sure if Ravnica's when Wizards is going to get rid of Hexproof but...yeah.

• But you never had any to begin with.

How often are you going to be getting out an 11 drop without some form of mana ramp (AKA green's specialty) or cheatery (elvish piper, quicksilver amulet, yada yada) anyway? Besides, if your only win con is a big creature, you have more troubles than just removal.

• Worldspine Wurm's going straight into my Stonebrow EDH.

• edited 2012-09-04 12:23:34
    a little muffled

@Saigyouji:

How often are you going to be getting out an 11 drop without some form of mana ramp (AKA green's specialty) or cheatery (elvish piper, quicksilver amulet, yada yada) anyway?
    Probably never. All I'm saying is when you're using those you can pick any fatty you like, and I just don't find this one very exciting.

Anyhow, unrelated to giant wurms, I got bored and made a B/R knights deck. Not particularly great, but then, B/R knights is kind of a dodgy archetype anyway.

• Has friends besides tanks now
    "Not sure if Ravnica's when Wizards is going to get rid of Hexproof but...yeah."

Why would they?
  • a little muffled

Maro has said they've got no intention of removing hexproof. They're likely to avoid hexproof guys that are also hard to block, however.

• edited 2012-09-04 12:40:00
    You can change. You can.

How often are you going to be getting out an 11 drop without some form of mana ramp (AKA green's specialty) or cheatery (elvish piper, quicksilver amulet, yada yada) anyway? 

Yes but why wouldn't you go and cheat out something better and stronger which would actually win you the game rather than just a big creature that turns into three smaller creatures? 

I mean, the way I see it, if it's between this and Wurmcoil Engine in an EDH deck, I'd go with the Engine all the way. All this guy does is be big and have big spawns. Which I guess is awesome if you're a Timmy who likes to smash (And I am, mind you, which is why I like the card) but it's not really much. 

Plus, you hafta remember that EDH games do tend to involve a lot of mana by the end-game even without having to ramp. And sometimes even before that. After all, by the eleventh EDH turn, the game is still just starting.  So, yes it is very possible, if not in Standard/Modern. 

Besides, if your only win con is a big creature, you have more troubles than just removal.

Yeah but nobody's judging the card as a wincon. Hell, no card on its own is a wincon. Well, very few are, anyway. The question is simply "Why would you use that unless you have a plan for it". 

At any rate, the big thing is simply that Green is a colour that is known for hosing removal. Hexproof, pro-instants, pro-blue and so on. And I don't think that paying 11 for a big guy who can't defend himself considering this is really that good. Specially considering that Petrified Wood-kin can easily become a 15/15 if you play your cards right and build around it (Or if you're playing EDH :p)

Why would they? 

There's been lots of complaints regarding hexproof. I don't think they would go for a straight "Not gonna use this again ever" like with Affinity or the "Free" mechanic from Urza block, but I think it'll become much less prominent, if what I've heard and seen regarding hexproof's anything to go by.

• edited 2012-09-04 12:48:17
    Has friends besides tanks now
    Hmm. Eh, we all have cards we don't like, I guess.

Oh, and yesterday, it occurred to me that turn 3/4 kill is possile and almost easy in Standard. O-O

Eh, I like the card. I just think it's unfair to say "Dies to removal" is a bad argument simply because Gatherer is a thing full of people who say shit just for the sake of saying shit. 

Oh, and yesterday, it occurred to me that turn 3/4 kill is possile in Standard. O-O

How

tell me

• edited 2012-09-04 12:52:27
    UG Turbo Infect. It runs four types of cards: small creatures with Infect, cheap-but-efficient buffs, Wild Defiance, and lands.

Well, I guess it didn't occur to me so much as it turned up in a Google search while I was trying to improve one of my decks.

Of course, that's valid in Standard for all of a month. :P

As of now; the cards have been there for a while. :P

would you say it sneaked up on you

• edited 2012-09-04 13:46:27

. . . Shit, turn 2 win is actually possible with Turbo Infect. It's highly unlikely, but technically possible. Especially outside of Standard, since you can then use Groundswell and Vines of Vastwood.

. . . Anyone up for some games? :DDDDDDD

• There are a lot of good criticisms of that wurm, but I don't think "dies to removal" is one of them thanks to its progeny. Unless you Path or Swords it, you'll have to spend at least one other card to get rid of them.

• a little muffled

I specifically said exile-based removal before.

The death trigger might as well say "protection from black", honestly.

Wrath of God isn't black. :P

• a little muffled

True.

• . . . Shit, turn 2 win is actually possible with Turbo Infect. It's highly unlikely, but technically possible. Especially outside of Standard, since you can then use Groundswell and Vines of Vastwood.

Also, Revenge of the Hunted.

. . . Anyone up for some games? :DDDDDDD

I think I'll be able to play for a while. Though I'll need to build a deck real quickly.

• edited 2012-09-04 14:44:52

Forgot about Revenge of the Hunted. But, uh, yeah, that works, too. And I'll probably use various decks, so if you have things from multiple nonstandard formats, that's fine.

• If you're still up for it, my user name on Cockatrice is Crescent.

Okay. I'm ready to go.

• What's your user name?

Oh, right. I'm just Everest there.

Good games, Stormtroper. Any chance I could get the Human deck's decklist? I have a friend who'd probably appreciate it.

• Ehh, it's just something I built quickly after watching someone have fun with it. But sure:

2 Hero of Bladehold
    2 Increasing Devotion
    3 Mayor of Avabruck
    4 Champion of the Parish
    3 Gavony Township
    4 Avacyn's Pilgrim
    4 Oblivion Ring
    3 Champion of Lambholt
    2 Sublime Archangel
    4 Cavern of Souls
    3 Fiend Hunter
    7 Forest