If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A Wild Pokémon thread appeared!

Comments

• Definitely not gay.

Holy shit, I just realized something.

Deoxys is an alien colored red and blue that also has superpowers.

...Why didn't I notice this earlier?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

> see this thread
    > 151 new posts
    > lol 

• Definitely not gay.

BTW Alex, have you played any games besides Red?

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

'coz Deoxys is orange and blue-green, not red and blue.

• Definitely not gay.

Hm...you're right.

Although Deoxys could hardly withstand bullets.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

Defence Form probably could.

You know, it occurs to me that Curse is a Curse.

I mean, it involves trading speed for offensive and defensive power. If you abused it too much, you could quite easily end up unable to move and unable to be injured.

• But you never had any to begin with.

And that's why Trick Room exists! :P

Yes. You would end up going so fast that you become omnipresent and ascend to divinity.

BTW Alex, have you played any games besides Red?

Yellow, Silver, Gold, Platinum, some of Black. 

What are your thoughts on the game.

• Definitely not gay.

You've played Pt?

Aw man, that's one of the only games I haven't played.

• No rainbow star

I remember one fan fic that showed Curse being really dark and a sort of soul consuming move for non ghost types

Anyways, which move should I get rid of for Cotton Guard for Maractus? Petal Dance, Giga Drain, Synthesis, Acupressure, or don't bother?

My Maractus has almost identical Attack and Special Attack so the two grass type attacks let him hit an opponent for their weakest defense, Synthesis lets him heal up as does Giga Drain, Acupressure raises a random stat by two, and Cotton Guard raises defense by three stages

I own it. :D

I also own Heart Gold though. Leaf Green, Emerald, Heart Gold, Platinum, Black, and Black 2, but I have no DS to play Leaf Green/Emerald on.

• But you never had any to begin with.

They removed the slots in the European version of Platinum. :< The main way to get coins is to buy them.

Icalasari: Acupressure.

• Definitely not gay.

I have Yellow, Leaf Green, Sapphire, Emerald, SoulSilver, Black, and White 2,

• No rainbow star

And with Acupressure gone, Maractus is my first Pokemon since I played Yellow as a little kid to have a moveset consisting of only one type

Except Petal Dance/Giga Drain/Synthesis/Cotton Guard is FAR better than Thunder Wave/Thunder Shock/Thunderbolt/Thunder

• No rainbow star

I have Red Blue Yellow Gold Silver Crystal Ruby Sapphire Emerald FireRed Diamond Pearl Platinum HeartGold SoulSilver White and White 2

Yes I have a problem

What are your thoughts on the game.

Pokemon is fun, but every game I've played thus far can be exploited by using one Pokemon for everything and ending up with them at levels 70-80 by the time you hit the Elite Four. Supported with some HP and PP items, any decently quick and powerful Pokemon can sweep the lot of them.

• I had Red and Gold.

I wonder if I can get them back...

Pokemon is fun, but every game I've played thus far can be exploited by using one Pokemon for everything and ending up with them at levels 70-80 by the time you hit the Elite Four. Supported with some HP and PP items, any decently quick and powerful Pokemon can sweep the lot of them.

Well, any Pokemon game can be exploited by a number of means. I mean, as Icalasari pointed out earlier, get a Pokemon with Sturdy- like, a Level 5 Boldore- and a decent amount of money, and you could storm the Elite Four by just spamming potions and allow their Pokemon to kill themselves with Struggle's recoil damage after wasting 50 or so moves apiece.

I'm curious to know what you think of it from a... design perspective, I guess. How well put-together the games are.

• No rainbow star

Wait, Zekrom is Yin

Yet Yin is the black field with a white dot

Aren't Reshiram and Zekrom the dots and not the fields?

No. There is no dots in the fields in these games.

• No rainbow star

^ ...Right on the covers though. Pokemon Black has Reshiram as its white dot. Pokemon White has Zekrom as its black dot

Also, I remember reading an interview that says Reshiram is supposed to be feminine and Zekrom masculine (...Considering that they gave Reshiram a feather penis and Zekrom a broad chest and many curves, however, I must wonder what they were smoking...)

All the holes in the original games are well known, but I largely think that a lot of Pokemon's success has come from how solid the games are systematically. We're all very used to Pokemon, of course, and I think that might blind us to just how clever the games are in the design. 

Basically, Pokemon uses a combination of systems that are individually simple and versatile, and then places them in the same space. For instance, there is the relationship between levels, stats, types, attacks and damage. On its own, a Pokemon's level means nothing -- it's just a number. But that number is related to the Pokemon's stats, which go up with each level. Standard RPG stuff, but looking at it from square one is a good way to start. Those stats then influence the damage of attacks, which is calculated via a combination of the attack's base power and whatever attack stat is active. That damage is then multiplied or divided by the type of Pokemon that attack targets and the attacking Pokemon's type, which all together, results in the overall effect of an offensive technique. 

Every individual element of the system is very simple, from "higher numbers are better" to the rock-paper-scissors nature of the type system, all the way to how an attack's damage is multiplied by acting in synchronicity with a Pokemon's type. But placing all these individually simple patterns in the game allows for an experience that is exceedingly simple to understand but can be very complex and deep in execution. This allows for a certain level of emergent gameplay, where solutions are not binary, but can be the result of a player's creativity and understanding of the system. 

Obviously, the original games were full of design flaws, but the series has had an exceedingly strong design philosophy from the first release up until now, and the games have trended towards getting better. I played a little Gen 3, which I considered the weakest of them, but otherwise I think the games have been on a linear increase in general quality from Gen 1 onwards. I don't necessarily like all the new Pokemon, and I certainly prefer the old visual design approaches, but there's no doubting that the games themselves are stronger via some tweaks to existing systems and the introduction of new systems that are also simple in their own right. Battles with multiple Pokemon on each side are a good example, since it's a simple change, but you now have two powers and eight different moves "active" on the field at any given moment, inviting players to further streamline their teams and to raise Pokemon that both work well solo and have strong synchronicity with their other team members. 

• edited 2012-10-14 08:57:58
    But you never had any to begin with.

I mean, as Icalasari pointed out earlier, get a Pokemon with Sturdy- like, a Level 5 Boldore- and a decent amount of money, and you could storm the Elite Four by just spamming potions and allow their Pokemon to kill themselves with Struggle's recoil damage after wasting 50 or so moves apiece.

If you're going to do that, why not just use a level 1 Aron with Endeavour and Shell Bell? :P

• No rainbow star

I wonder if we'll one day get a legendary trio of Poison -> Grass -> Ground?

Sort of a corruption/life/mother earth deal

Those stats then influence the damage of attacks, which is calculated via a combination of the attack's base power and whatever attack stat is active.

The damage formula is fucking complicated, man. :|

But yeah, it's simple enough in execution that anyone can understand it.

Battles with multiple Pokemon on each side are a good example, since it's a simple change, but you now have two powers and eight different moves "active" on the field at any given moment, inviting players to further streamline their teams and to raise Pokemon that both work well solo and have strong synchronicity with their other team members. 

Actually, we have three-on-three battles now. <_<

If you're going to do that, why not just use a level 1 Aron with Endeavour and Shell Bell? :P

Because Aron fucking sucks and I hate it forever. :|

• No rainbow star

^ What did Aron ever do to you?