If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A Wild Pokémon thread appeared!

Comments

• But you never had any to begin with.

At the time of the original games, 255 was a hard limit.

• Has friends besides tanks now

Fair enough. Sort of. My inner math nerd really wishes they would have changed it with the newer generations.

• But you never had any to begin with.

Inertia.

Bluh.

• No rainbow star
    Also, the next step up would be 65536, and considering how much data has to be saved in each game...
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Fair enough. Sort of. My inner math nerd really wishes they would have changed it with the newer generations.

Thus making it impossible to transfer Pokemon forward.

Would 255 still be a tough cap by 3rd generation?

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

I don't actually know if it was still necessary, but it would still be useful just in terms of filesizes and stuff no matter what system you're on.

• edited 2012-03-05 16:02:12
    a little muffled

255 is the highest number you can store in a seven-digit binary number (probably there's an extra bit used for something else to make it a full byte), so it's quite a reasonable limit from a programming perspective, and since it's an element of the game that's meant to be invisible there's no real reason to have it be a number that looks nice to humans. The real question is why they made the breakpoints be at multiples of 4 rather than something that divides into 255 (5, for instance).

• edited 2012-03-05 16:03:47
    Has friends besides tanks now

I'd rather it had been 3. Dunno why, it just seems right.

• a little muffled

Oh, I didn't even realize that 3 divides into 255. That'd work too.

In either case, the calculation formula would probably have to chance to as not to over- or undervalue EVs compared to the current system.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

EV's are actually fairly complicated if you don't know what you're doing.

I mean, you have 510 points you can put in a stat. Every 4 points ups the stat by one, or something. I don't think that's how it goes, though.

Certain Pokemon will give you points for these EV's. There's not actually a way to figure out what Pokemon gives you what EV's without catching a brand new Pokemon and whaling on a couple dozen of the one particular Pokemon, or else looking online.

In fact, there's not even anything about EV's in the game itself; you have to metagame to even learn of their existence, really.

For most people, they'll go the entire game without knowing EV's even exist, and not be troubled for it.

I mean, that's without stupid things like natures and IV's that just complicate everything.

• edited 2012-03-05 18:30:48

It's every 4 points, yeah.

That post is basically spot on, except that if you do look online (which doesn't alleviate the problem of the system not being mentioned in-game, granted), the purely-numerical aspects of training a pokemon for competitive battling are fairly simple. Though that's mostly EV's; Natures . . . actually, it's not as tough as you might think to get the desired nature onto a pokemon. And apparently there's an easier way to get the necessary IV's onto a pokemon, as well. They're still rather silly complications, though.

• If you must eat a phoenix, boil it, do not roast it. This only encourages their mischievous habits.

But the thing is, I had to look online to find everything, and when I did, I had it all arranged neatly and orderly on a webpage, where I could read it through several times to understand it.

Not to mention that they don't really add anything in terms of competitive battling. In-game, they serve the function of allowing your Pokemon to be stronger than most of the equivalent Pokemon you fight. In competitive battling, it's kind of just an annoyance you put up with to get the best possible Pokemon.

• edited 2012-03-05 19:08:29

255 is the highest number you can store in a seven-digit binary number (probably there's an extra bit used for something else to make it a full byte), so it's quite a reasonable limit from a programming perspective, and since it's an element of the game t hat's meant to be invisible there's no real reason to have it be a number that looks nice to humans. The real question is why they made the breakpoints be at multiples of 4 rather than something that divides into 255 (5, for instance).

8 digit, not 7 digit.  And it presumably uses multiples of 4 because it means that they can determine the amount your stats are boosted by by just bitshifting your EVs 2 places to the right. (EDIT: Nevermind, that doesn't really make much sense, since the EV system was different back when the games were on the Gameboy, which is the only time where doing something like that might have actually mattered) 

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Which is why most competitive battling is done over Pokemon Online et al.

• There's something unsettling about the idea that a Pokemon's (inherent) personality automatically sets its battling capabilities for life. At least it should be modifiable since the game is already a grindfest including EVs adding grinding on top of grinding.

I think that's where the Everstone comes in.

• No rainbow star
    ^ It would be nice though if battling style caused their natures to change over time
  • Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

It would in nuisance to program though, though it would add flexibility. (I.E. a Pokemon using lots of physical attacks would develop a nature that would benefit physical attacks).

• Someone send that to "Ideas for Gen 6".

• edited 2012-03-05 21:57:51

So, turns out that all-out offense works surprisingly well. My current team is Jolteon, Archeops, Haxorus, Gengar, Terrakion, and Latios. The idea is that I use one of the first three as a lead and beast my way through as many pokemon as possible so that the remaining pokemon can sweep accordingly.

Also, fuck Rotom-W.

• No rainbow star

Should we disallow people from having the same type as somebody else's team has if we do the gym thing?

If so, then I'm stuck on Ghost, Dragon, and Electric...

• edited 2012-03-05 22:01:52

Yeah, I think there should only be one of each type of team.

Also, could we just, like, ban Dragon? I could see that getting really ridiculous.

I'll probably go with Fighting if this thing happens.

• No rainbow star

^ Dragon wouldn't be bad with the restriction of no ubers, however

Or how out of date am I due to generation 5?

• Dibs on Ground and Bug.
  • edited 2012-03-05 22:06:38

^^^ Haxorus and Hydreigon say hi. And the Latis. And Salamence. And Dragonite. And Kingdra, somewhat. At least Garchomp is still an uber, even if it would be tough to run on a mono-Dragon team. When the type has more than half of the pseudolegendaries, maybe it's not fair to use.

• edited 2012-03-05 22:08:10
    No rainbow star

Wait, the Latis got unbanned?

And here I was going to use Flygon Altaria (I thought Salamence was also banned) Kingdra Dragonite and I forget the other two at the moment

Yeah, dragon (mono - some of them are still fun) ban

So either Electric or Ghost for me. Not sure which to choose

The Latis and Salamence got moved back to OU, yeah. For some reason. Well, Salamence is easy enough to deal with, but I think the Latis could have stayed where they were. Plus, I can tell you from experience that simply slapping a Choice Scarf onto a Haxorus and spamming Outrage is surprisingly efficient.