If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

A Wild Pokémon thread appeared!

Comments

• Has friends besides tanks now

Because it keeps missing when you use it, or because it keeps fucking Heatran up? :P

• No rainbow star
    ^^ I hate Miltank personally
  • a little muffled

@Everest: Both in the same match actually. Except replace Heatran with Tyranitar.

Mostly the former, though. I lost two matches in a row to missing with it.

As someone who often runs Mienshao, I have to tell you that missing with Hi Jump Kick is infinitely more frustrating.

• a little muffled

I'd imagine, but that's at least somewhat counterbalanced by it happening only a third as often.

• a little muffled

Of course, I just won a match to my opponent missing a Focus Blast, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

• No rainbow star

My sister is in Castelia City right now

Her team has a level 22 Dewott, a level 18 Herdier, a level 17... Sawk, I think, a level 11 Zorua (just gotten, so I can excuse that one), a level 6 Patrat, and I forget the other one but it is also a low level (around 12-13)

She ate dinner while telling me what moves to use in a battle against a level 21 Pansage. She had me put her Dewott against it. It has Water Gun, Razor Shell, Fury Cutter, and a normal attack. She had me use Razor Shell

...Worst part is, this brings up memories of when I was proud of my Thunderwave/Thundershock/Thunderbolt/Thunder Pikachu in Red

...She also wants to battle me later. That... Is going to be a bloodbath. I expect tears (it isn't that I wouldn't go easy on her (I wouldn't go easy anyways, but that's besides the point), it's that I'd have to purposely make a bad team and turn off my brain to keep from beating her as it's pretty much automatic now that I'd go for the best moves I could =/

• edited 2012-05-05 20:32:25
    I'm a damn twisted person

How old is your sister? I mean, don't even really young kids get the whole elemental rock paper scissors thing and understand that using a water move on a grass type is a bad idea?

• No rainbow star

8 or 9 (I always forget her age by a year. Never more than a year, though. No idea why)

• I mean, don't even really young kids get the whole elemental rock paper scissors thing and understand that using a water move on a grass type is a bad idea?

If it were a game where the elemental rock-paper-scissors weren't as batshit insane and illogical as Pokemon, sure.

• I'm a damn twisted person

Yeah a lot of match ups are arbitrary like ice beating dragon, but a lot are fairly straight forward like fire beats ice and water beats fire. 

Missed both attempts at Hi Jump Kick with Mienshao in a match I just had. Fucking hell.

I saw a pretty interesting set, though. Harvest Exeggutor with Sitrus Berry and Substitute. Healing itself for a shitton of health without even doing anything, at the expense of the speed that comes with Chlorophyll. Interestingly enough, it was on a team with both Tyranitar and Ninetales.

• No rainbow star

^^ Dragons are reptiles. Reptiles don't like the cold. Therefore, Ice > Dragon

I could probably explain any type matchup. Go ahead and throw them at me

Bug > Psychic
  • edited 2012-05-05 21:51:58

^^ Well of course you could explain any matchup.  It doesn't mean they're intuitive or easy to remember though.  The point is there are 289 type matchups with like 4 possibilities each that you have to memorize, and most of them are pretty unintuitive (and sometimes what would be intuitive turns out to be incorrect). 

• I'm a damn twisted person

Icalasari - normal types being immune to ghost moves. 

DYRE - but the thing is, you end up learning a lot of it through trial and error. Each time you use an attack the game tells you how effective it is. Sure you don't end up with a giant memorized spreadsheet most of the time, but you do end up with a rough idea of what will and won't work for each type if you use it enough. 

• edited 2012-05-06 10:31:00
    a little muffled

normal types being immune to ghost moves.

Ghosts can't interact with the physical world, or something.

One that, uh, bugged me is how Bug is weak to Rock but not Steel. Prettttty sure that a hunk of metal is equally good for crushing bugs as a rock.

Unrelated, but:

Gengar used Trick!
    Gengar switched items with ThatBlackGuyJamal's Vaporeon!
    Gengar obtained one Leftovers!
    ThatBlackGuyJamal's Vaporeon obtained one Choice Scarf!

ThatBlackGuyJamal's Vaporeon used Substitute!
    ThatBlackGuyJamal's Vaporeon made a substitute!

The sandstorm rages!
    ThatBlackGuyJamal's Vaporeon is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Gengar is buffeted by the sandstorm!
    Gengar restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
    ThatBlackGuyJamal forfeited against Nyktos!
    I love Trick.

• edited 2012-05-06 10:33:10
    "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

@Everest: Bugs are annoyances that distract psychic thought. Or bugs are scary and psychics can't work when distressed.

• Definitely not gay.

I have a Bold Lugia now.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^Or that Bugs have a fundamentally alien mind that most Psychics can't deal with.

• No rainbow star
    Psychics three weaknesses - Ghost, Dark, and Bug - are commonish fears

Normal... Yeah, the interaction

Steel, well, how often do you smack bugs with hunks of metal? Yeah, it may be more effective, but eh, rock is more intuitive
  • a little muffled

I dunno about you but I've never smashed a bug with a rock either?

I'd guess maybe it's because you can actually find rocks naturally in the same area as bugs, or something.

• Definitely not gay.

It might have something to do with Tajiri's bug hobby that started this whole mess.

• No rainbow star

You know, thinking about it, it would have been interesting (broken, but interesting) if Steel was super effective against Dragon with the reasoning of knights killing western dragons with swords while clad in armour

• edited 2012-05-08 01:27:17
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!
    Steel, well, how often do you smack bugs with hunks of metal? Yeah, it may be more effective, but eh, rock is more intuitive

I mostly smash bugs with paper -- processed plants. But I wouldn't want bugs to be weak to grass.

That or I use flyswatters, which are plastic.

Now I want Gen VI to include a Plastic type.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

> Enter a contest

> Increase voltage to max

> Is second

> First guy uses up all the voltage you wasted your time building up and wins contest

I hate Contests sometimes...

• I have never touched a Contest since 3rd Gen so I wouldn't know.

• There is love everywhere, I already know

After I complete the main story Contests/Musicals are pretty much all I do.

• Definitely not gay.

So since I am a huge nerd with zero life, I came up with Pokemon stats on the Avengers.

At first I was wondering where to put this, but you guys would be more friendly towards this sort of thing.