If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• edited 2017-05-14 10:13:45
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    MYSTERY SOLVED
    Phew.

I have a fun story about finding media from strange places!

I once shazam-ed a song from the commercial for the animated film Ballerina, that I first heard in a Supergirl commercial on TV, I thought I'd really love it.

Turned out it was called Hold On from this series of albums by one of those random song factory companies called Extreme Music. I started listening to it on YouTube, and then more music from Extreme Music popped up. There, I found this song called Come Home.

After a while, I started to tire of Hold On, because it was a very simplistic pop-rock song. Then I got over it.

But to this day I still listen to Come Home and I think it's probably one of my favorite songs.

Anyways, top my ten Eurovision songs from this year:

Songs I Liked To Start With

1. Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma (Italy)

I liked this song way before I heard it, because I'd read about the concept for it (weaboo-ism for the pre-weaboo generation) beforehand and I was glad it was as good as it was. It's a very full song, with a really brilliant instrumentation and the vocal performance is probably one of my favorite of this decade.

2. Timebelle - Apollo (Switzerland)

I never expected to love this song as much as I did, but that piano and the lyrics got to me more than they should. I'm always super-entranced by those first notes, and it's ridiculously fun to sing.

3. Hovig - Gravity (Cyprus)

I'm not really familiar with industrial songs that aren't led by the artist. Because this was in the pop domain, with Hovig as the performer, I didn't expect him to really play nice, but he did, and the vocal performance was completely lacking in any distortion, which I think is unique.

4. Joci Papai - Origo (Hungary)

When I hear a rap in a song, I usually want to 180 it and back very very far away, but sometimes a really inspiring song like this comes around and even the rap bit makes sense. I guess I'm just more tolerant of rap music that's not in English (thus why I like HOME MADE Kazoku so much). The vocals here are insanely brilliant, too.

5. Blanche - City Lights (Belgium)

I don't know how I felt at first about the vocal performance of this song, but it wasn't positive. After I started listening to it in the car, however, I started to hear the melancholy and the lyrics really spoke to me.

6. Koit Toome & Laura - Verona (Estonia)

Laura really sounds like Lady Gaga (when she's actually try to sing). Now that that's out of the way, I really liked the lyrics to this song, but the live performances were kind of disappointing, because the lyrics are so all-encompassing and BIG that I just wanted it to be insane (even if it was just background effects). I think if it had had those, this song would have been top 10 material.

7. Demy - This Is Love (Greece)

Hot off the heels of performing a duet of my favorite Eurovision song from last year (If Love Was A Crime by Poli Genova), Demy took the stage to really shake things up. The first time I listened to the album, I did skip this song like one minute in, but after watching it live I realized it really picked up in the second half, and the first half's lyrics stuck with me.

8. Slavko Kalezic - Space (Montenegro)

I did not want to like this song, the lyrics are terrible, but... the joke performer from this year can sing and he really gave it his all with the vocal performance. Also, never forget the ponytail.

9. IMRI - I Feel Alive (Israel)

I like Israel's songs, but they're usually kind of blah, but this year they decided to be really fun and all out. The lyrics are fun, and the vocal performance was solid.

10. Illinca and Alex Florea - Yodel It!

Another song with a prominent rap, gimmicks, and almost everything I didn't want to like, but then the live shows happened and I really came to like it, again.
  • edited 2017-05-17 05:43:21
    There is love everywhere, I already know
    It's so weird how when I first learned about Teichiku Music it was through their attempt at reviving Tamaki Nami's career (she had three brilliant but overlooked singles under them) and all they had at the time was Fuudanjuku but now they're actually really thriving with lots of acts (Including Boyband of the Week, Matsuri Nine).
  • Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    fourteenwings, why is it that when i try to think of a-gain i instead think of believe x believe?
  • There is love everywhere, I already know
    Cause you're GMH

I haven't really listened to believe x believe so I have no idea how they even mesh.
  • edited 2017-05-22 15:06:39
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    They're in the same key, they're roughly the same tempo, and they both start on an Eb11 chord.

weird, superscript doesn't display properly
    I love how since Beverly is from the Philippines most of her songs are in English and have gratuitous Japanese instead of the other way around.

Actually I also love how she's actually legitimately popular in Japan.
    Listening to the beginning of the YuYuYu soundtrack is a good way to calm down.
  • "I've come to the conclusion that this is a VERY STUPID IDEA."
  • oh shit, stuff like that is my jam
    yeah that is pretty neat

• It is strange to be reminded that Kalafina can perform not very Kalafina-sounding things.
    On one hand part of Love Live's Snow Halation's refrain contains something that sounds like Yakusoku from iM@S and people recognize Snow Halation for that part, and I kinda resent that.

On the other hand, Snow Halation is a joke and a meme, and Yakusoku is still a respected song.
  • how does "respected" even come into the equation here
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    how does "respected" even come into the equation here
    as in, "it hasn't become a bad joke on the internet"
  • That is a very strange bar.
    Well it's like how the good Monogatari OPs (aside from Platinum Disco) are the ones nobody but people who watch Monogatari know about.
    Naas_Human wrote: »
    That is a very strange bar.

Not too strange when you consider how much some people hate on various things (e.g. Minecraft, Undertale, My Little Pony, anime in general, fidget spinners, etc.) solely because of their obnoxious people in their fanbases.
  • Everything vaguely known gets hated. Many things are successful regardless of that.
    I'm liking "Scarlet Ballet".
    I think I've had Aoi Eir's "Rainy Day" stuck in my head for like two weeks.
    why is it that I feel the vocals (maybe) of "Magia" lack a sufficient "punch" in delivering a sense of despair? like, the instrumentals work fine, but either it's the vocals or maybe the overall form? that don't quite seem to work well enough to deliver a rush of emotion that the instrumentals promise.
  • edited 2017-06-12 12:43:52
    Because either Kalafina are held back by the material they get, or the material is held back by Kalafina.
    Also none of the PMMM songs are very despairy.
    Kalafina don't do despair, they do Kalafina. It's very specific style, but it's not hard to miss since they do it in literally every single one of their songs.

It's kind of sad since they are really good singers (they did some covers with LiSA at a LisAni event and they sounded great).
    Well "Magia" is sorta supposed to be the despair song given how it's used...
  • I'd like to remind you that it was introduced in very first scene and the clearest thing at the time was the possibility of averting tragedy.
    I've been thinking about how the songs Olivia Holt did during her Disney Channel days were like, some of the most perfect alt-pop-country songs with soul vocals, and I wish she'd at least released an album whilst she was still doing them, but her own artsy-tribal-R&B-pop style is so cute and catchy and modern that I can't fault her for changing.
  • edited 2017-06-14 15:02:17
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    TL;DR Can someone recognize this tune? http://vocaroo.com/i/s1PzfbnPmoov

Okay, so last night I was listening to Radio Bahía Puntarenas and they had this one song that I really liked.  Actually they had like two or three songs I liked in the short timespan I listened to it and one was in B-flat major but I can't remember anything from that except that it contains the words "peligroso" and "ganar" at separate points in the song and has a pretty busy melody that takes several twists and turns.  Unfortunately Bahía Puntarenas doesn't name their currently-playing track on their website.

But the other song that I really remember: It's in C major.  It starts by sounding like a lullaby.  And the refrain is perhaps the most memorable part of it.  I think I remember how it goes, basically.

So I sang it into Midomi and instead it identified a few Japanese and Chinese songs.

One of the Chinese songs was Angela Chang's 隐形的翅膀 ("Invisible Wings"), which I already know and which this song isn't, but for some reason it was misidentified as "The Power of Love" by "Columbia River Group Entertainment".  Feeding this misidentified user recording back into Midomi correctly identifies "Invisible Wings" though.

Anyway, the other search results seem to, despite their language, reference a Scottish song called "Annie Laurie".  However, the relevant tune from "Annie Laurie" is different from what I remember -- the tune I remember as the refrain is the beginning of "Annie Laurie" and then "Annie Laurie" continues to go even higher while the song I have in mind doesn't ever go higher than the octave note.

Can anyone recognize this tune?  http://vocaroo.com/i/s1PzfbnPmoov

Alternatively, does anyone know any Spanish-language songs that use the Annie Laurie tune or something very close to it?  Specifically the first two phrases.
  • Sounds familiar. And sounds like church music.
    Songs I know with lyrics about fashion:
    • Fashionista - Madison
    • The Things We Do For Fashion - TWIRL
    • Vanity - Lady Gaga
    • Fashion - Lady Gaga
    • Life is a Fairytale - Rachel Bearer
    • Fashion is my Kryptonite - Bella Thorne & Zendaya
    • I Feel Pretty x Unpretty - Diana Aggron & Lea Michele as Quinn Fabray & Rachel Berry
    • Old Blue Jeans - Miley Cyrus as Hannah Montana
    I'm totally missing one very important but it'll come to me.
  • "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    At first I thought it's some kind of classical, then it started to sound like Stormtroper was right (Catholic church to be exact). In that case, it's probably some generic tune that once was some specific song and now it's whichever lyrics need music to it.