If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

General Music Thread

Comments

• I'm still baffled as to why this song is so popular, especially since it's the very mentality that killed her.

• Didn't it get popular quite a while before she died?

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

One of the random J-pop CDs I picked up...turns out to most likely be...Taiwanese pop, I think.  (Not that I mind...I prefer being culture-neutral in evaluating things anyway.)

Here's what I obseved:

* cover: "Annie the 1st" "Shizuka Inou"

* lyrics language: mostly Japanese, though a little bit of Mandarin Chinese here and there

I tried looking up "Annie the 1st" but didn't really get what was going on.

Turns out, it's probably this Taiwanese singer, who has gone by the name "Annie Shizuka Inoh" as well as "Shizuka Inou" and "Yi Nengjing".  Given that she's Taiwanese, it would probably make sense that she sings in both Chinese and Japanese.

• edited 2015-09-21 23:09:50
    Diet NEET

Mystery Skulls finally has a full album out:

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"

This time I'm putting it here, instead of in Music Dump, because it's a whole different genre to what I'm used to listen to. Mongolian folk, or something like that. Catchy. I've been having a sort of a fascination with the Great Steppe for some time, and recently I've found a youtube list full of that sort of music. Apparently the music from that scene from Khadak is some better-known tune. Song by a local folk rock band, perhaps?

Energy Breaker's "Newly Settled Town" and Pokémon GSC's New Bark Town theme are both great starting town themes.

Though their feel is a little different.

New Bark Town gives off a feeling of dawn, of humble and pleasant beginnings.

"Newly-Settled Town", on the other hand, feels more like strong midday sun, with the comforting shade of a tree.
  • edited 2015-09-21 23:11:49
    Diet NEET
    Still on time for some of you peeps: 

• "you duck spawn, refined creature, you try to be cynical, yokel, but all that comes out of it is that you're a dunce!!!!! you duck plug!"
    This time I've got some post-rock for you guys. Here - it's a full performance by Caspian. It's sort of like, two songs, then an interview with the band, then two songs again.  What can I say, I like getting hit by a wall of sound like this, and these guys do not fail to deliver. 

New Wave of Russian Orthodox Black Metal. Because not all ominous chanting needs to be Latin.
  • high on swag
  • edited 2016-09-22 17:57:59
    Pika Girl

Latin pop > American pop
  • edited 2016-10-22 20:22:28
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Posting here the English version lyrics for the opening theme of Kiddy Grade, "Mirai no Kioku":

Every planet has a twinkle-
    Never let me forget.

Everybody's keeping secrets-
    I don't wanna go back.

Let's get together now,
    you and I are not alone.
    Give me the holy land.

I'm hanging on, to a distant memory.
    I feel so lost.  Oh, tears of stars.
    I see myself drifting from the past,
    As I shine on into the future.

Out of the fog, I've chosen a puzzle.
    The pieces fit within my heart.
    So I became aware of the change,
    And this city took on a new form.

If I could just melt away these scars I want to forget,
    With the red of the sky, and a painful kiss.

Fate and Fake is everything.
    What is important, oh won't you please tell me!
    Love and Pain will revolve,
    In the very same reflection of space and time,
    They shine!

I've
    taken the lyrics directly from the English dub subs (which are actually
    the English dub's entire script, unusually, rather than just "signs and
    songs").  Kiddy Grade is also one of the few series that actually got
    its opening and ending themes dubbed, by which I mean they were entirely
    re-performed with a new singer and new instrumentalists.  I think
    Stephanie Nadolny, best known as the voice of Goku, sang the English
    version songs.

In the fourth line, the English dub subs say "I
    don't want to go back", but the singer clearly enunciates it as "I don't
    wanna go back", so hence I wrote it that way.

I'm posting this
    here since Google seems to only bring up one search result that has
    these lyrics.  And I think these are really meaningful lyrics, and I'd
    not want to see the internet forget them.
    And since I posted that, why not also the beautiful and poignant ending theme of Kiddy Grade as well, "Future":

Come on, let's go.
    There's no looking back now.

It's just like this.
    Any direction will do now.

I don't want to dream at night,
    If it feels like I'm dreaming.

I've only had a single wish from the stars that fall down from the sky.
    Would you please grant me strength enough that I not waste away and die?

While I wander down this road that continues endlessly on and on,
    The only thing I can do to get there,
    Is just walk along.

Again, taken from the English dub subs.  I turned a period into a question mark since it seemed more appropriate.

This
    song was originally written (words and music) by Jun Morioka, of a
    group called Little Viking.  It was arranged by Yukio Sugai and Little
    Viking, and Little Viking (or Jun Morioka herself, rather) was the
    vocalist.  (Apparently it was also signed to Victor Entertainment.) 
    Despite the beauty of this song and its single B-side ("Oyasumi", or
    "Good night"), it seems that the group or at least the branding didn't
    last long after this.  Morioka seems to have gone and married a Swedish
    architect named Jonas Elding, and taken on his surname, and is now known
    as Jun Elding.  Her homepage is here: http://www.junelding.com/ .  She
    also seems to have some variety of YouTube uploads.

Stephanie Nadolny, as far as I know, also lent her voice to this English version.

Both
    the opening and ending themes had their English versions arranged by
    Carl Finch, which I guess means he was responsible for coming up with
    the instrumentation to make the songs' accompaniments sound like their
    original versions.
    Have you guys heard this Postmodern Jukebox stuff?

• There is love everywhere, I already know
    why not also the beautiful and poignant ending theme of Kiddy Grade as well, "Future":
    You did this on purpose ;-;

(I miss when dubs used to alternate between the actual song and the dub version, I think the only show with a dubbed OP that's recent-ish that I know of is STORY from Luck & Logic, that's a pretty good dub too).

Just to be clear; AmaLee's dub covers are the worst.

GMH ^
    1. Who is she and why did she dye her hair
    2. I wonder if she transposed the song up a whole step to fit her vocal range, or what.
    3. Good rendition of angela's signature sliding leaps.
    Diana Garnet is like the as-famous-as-you-get Gaijin anison singer who has released a few singles (including the EDs to Tantei Team KZ Jiken Note's and she even did a Naruto ED). She posts anison covers on the TOM channel practically every week.

Her cover of Brave Shine was a terrible, completely heartless mistake though.
    Oh, so, @fourteenwings, I added two more songs: Forever Here and a-gain.

Probably might add Shuumatsu no Love Song soon.

Also why do I feel I can pick out a Nana Mizuki song based on the contour of the melody?  I'm bad at recognizing voices but there are various melodic and rhythmic motifs that seem to be common to her songs.
  • edited 2017-03-14 03:55:31
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human
    Oh, this is really interesting.

So I've heard Shuumatsu no Love Song some number of times, though not enough to memorize it completely.

So, what do I do?

Well, the verse apparently has the following form: A A' B.  (Note that the B section is half as long as either the complete A section or the refrain.)
    I wasn't very satisfied with this, so instead I "patched in" another version of the B phrase, so I remembered it as this: A A' B' B.  (Or, from my perspective, A A' B B'.)

...I like my version better.

(I've done something similar, albeit consciously, to the OP of Mai-HiME, Shining Days.)
    Also there's a part of the B-flat minor version (duet version) of the Endless Song that sounds very reminiscent of a bit of Mr. Explorer from La-Mulana.
    common to her songs.
    Probably an artifact from Elements Garden's overall style. Both Hatano Wataru and Aoi Shouta released hard dance-pop songs withing the span of six months once (Synchronic and Why, pessimistic?, respectively), I've always assumed it was because they both are frequent Elements Garden muses.
    "hard dance-pop"
    that's a genre name I should be more aware of.

So, I've just discovered this Emyn Muil stuff the other day, and I wanted to share. Grandiose. I'm told Summoning is the premier example of this branch of Tolkienian metal (though Blind Guardian is at the front in general).

In other musical news, there is a weird-ass meme around here, where people splice a rant of a certain political figure into various songs. I'd post some examples already, but if you don't know the source material, the only point I can see in it is to exemplify what some folks can do with audio editing software.