If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Clockwork: a simple industry is a decaying one.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-25 01:03:37

Spammy flower boss is spammy.  I didn't think of shutting its spam down by hitting its base, though; I should have figured that out.

On Nightmare it's basically required, because you can't kill the buds faster than they respawn or in time to keep them from healing him too much while dodging the rest of his crap.  You basically need that good 15 seconds of just wailing on everything in sight unmolested.

• edited 2013-04-25 01:03:25
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

^^I mean simpler from the perspective of development costs (one less port to make), exclusivity, etc. It wouldn't actually have much of an effect on what games get produced.

• edited 2013-04-25 01:11:28
    Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

Also regarding spammy flower boss: I feel so derp that I had to look up the solution of double-jumping into it.

I previously thought I had to lightning-strike the core after everything went down.

Still, this game's boss designs are so extraordinarily creative.  It's amazing.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-25 01:15:18

Yeah.  It's also one of the few games I've seen where turning up the difficulty actually substantively changes the bosses' attacks and the flow of the fight instead of just beefing their stats.  Like, the mouth demon near the beginning of the game actually gets hella dangerous because his healing from eating the grubs gets ridiculous.  And so on.

Also, when you unlock Boss Rush, try the Rado's Tower boss on Nightmare.  It's amazingly fun.

• edited 2013-04-25 01:15:14

For that boss...

I'm running circles around ya!

Yes, I literally ran circles around it.  That's all I did.  And sniped at it.  I killed it on my first try, too.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-25 01:18:00

On Nightmare he fills the whole screen with shit, and the shots have an angular jitter to take up even more space.  You can stand back and snipe him for 5-6 minutes with phoenixes he's resistant to...or...you can dart in and out with whirlwind or jump headlong into a death field with bolt crash (blocking the hit) and kill him in a third the time.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

> fills the whole screen with shit

That would explain why the annex stinks so much the crystal doesn't even want to work there.

• edited 2013-04-25 02:51:14

That mantid boss is a cheating cheater who cheats.

I finally offed it.  It seemed so easy...yet took so many tries...

And did I say that the music wasn't good?  Well, I take that back.  I should have mentioned that the major boss theme is better than either of Oath's two general boss themes (though the first one is appropriate the first few times), and the themes for the water area, the Mantid's area (I forgot the name) and the following area (Demonic Core) are pretty awesome.

Though I haven't yet found something as catchy as The Boy's Got Wings, the temple ruins track, or the inferno cavern (I know that's not even the name of the area; I'm substituting a La-Mulana area name for now) track, from Oath.  That said, Beyond the Beginning comes very close.  Actually, it might just be it, though I haven't heard it more than once in the game.

Also, I don't think I mentioned it yet, but the REAL noob bridge was realizing I could swim in that water-filled room.

For future reference, don't bother going for the midboss achievement in the next level, just pick it up on Very Easy.  Hugo's version of the fight isn't that bad, but Yunica's is an overtuned asshole that can randomly throw undodgeable combinations of attacks.  It's not worth beating your head against when you have to sit through a long-ass cutscene every attempt.

After trying this a few times and coming back one night later, I finally know what you're talking about.  Yes, the cutscene is annoyingly unskippable (it's one of the few annoyances in this game).  But I do have a save preserved at that point.

And I know this is a triple post, but I finally found someone else who's done some thinking on the different types of achievements.

Extra Credits names three kinds:

* unavoidable

* optional

* inspiring

I want to add one more:

* random - This is for achievements that you pretty much have to just wait for them to happen.  For example, selling "Booze of the World" to a little girl in Recettear, or various undescribed achievements.  These are good for humor value and as easter eggs, but not much else.

The video also makes a great point about achievements: Unless you like achievement-hunting, just play through the game and don't give two shits about the achievements.

• yea i make potions if ya know what i mean

Minecraft-but-in-2d-with-wicked-pixel-art,

that is not how to best describe Terraria

but I'm glad it's getting a new update. Finally.

If anyone is interested in SolForge I just got another beta key.

What's that? I might be interested assuming you're still offering.

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-25 06:03:05

Yunica is just about the worst character to take on the mantis, yeah.  You can increase your damage output by firing phoenixes midair, because he takes damage from the head and the body simultaneously, but that's about it.  She doesn't really have any safe way to focus on the healing minions right away like the other two can, at least not until after you push his first regeneration.  Killing minions makes him do the shockwave attack with spikes that curve all over the place, and there's no nice way to dodge it unless you already have some distance, so the only safe time to kill them with Yunica is while he's summoning lasers right after a regeneration.

On Nightmare you typically have to fight through several cycles of that before you can clean them out.  It's a pain in the ass, and it means a really long fight where you can't afford to slip up at all because he kills you in like three hits.  It's a shame too, because both of the other characters can do it really fast.  With the third character it's actually embarrassingly easy because your fire attack is an area nuke, a glide, and a shield, which makes it trivial to dodge everything he has, and boosting makes it hit an absurd area about a bazillion times.

As for the overtuned asshole, he might actually be even worse in the fight where you have to beat him (oh sorry, spoilers: you fight the bad guy again), but at least you can retry on the spot there.

there's no nice way to dodge it unless you already have some distance

You always stay a comfortable distance from it, and you notice that all you have to dodge is a consistent (albeit curved) pattern and its shockwave which comes out a moment after it lands, and in front of it.

Unless you're talking on higher difficulties than Normal.

What I did was actually fight through several cycles, even on Normal.  I think it spawned fewer of them after a while.  Or maybe I just got lucky.

And I wouldn't mind retrying the overtuned asshole.  I'm more annoyed at the unskippable cutscene.

so what are peoples' opinions on Injustice: Gods Among Us?

• It is exactly the same game as Mortal Kombat 2011.

• You can change. You can.

but it has batman on it

thus it's better

• http://www.destructoid.com/there-will-be-no-nintendo-conference-at-e3-2013-252410.phtml

Nintendo just said that they won't have an E3 presentation this year, holding different events for different audiences at the same time. Let's see how this pans out.

• a little muffled
    What's that? I might be interested assuming you're still offering.
    It's a pretty cool digital TCG, the main gimmick being that your cards level up over the course of a game. I ended up giving the key to my brother, though, sorry.
  • But you never had any to begin with.
    My copy of Initial D Extreme Stage arrived. I have finally crossed the Rubicon of buying games I can't read. Save me. On the plus side, it necessitates that far less than, say, a Tales game.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

So a Dreamcast game was released yesterday.

Huh.

• Kichigai birthday!!
    Isn't the homebrew scene for Dreamcast pretty big? Or was it an actual commercial release?

That reminds of that Samurai Shodown game that was released for Neo Geo in 2004.
  • OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Or was it an actual commercial release?

Yep. Not a huge run with a major publisher or anything, but it's a legit commercial release.

..wait what?

• BeeBee
    edited 2013-04-25 16:04:46

You always stay a comfortable distance from it, and you notice that all you have to dodge is a consistent (albeit curved) pattern and its shockwave which comes out a moment after it lands, and in front of it.

The safest way to do the fight (when he doesn't have the lances at least, because then you pretty much have to just run away with Yunica -- the others can stay on the offensive reasonably safely because of slowfall skills) is circling him right up close to keep a chokehold on when he fires.  You can get into a rhythm of baiting an attack out of him, jumping it to the side, then dropping a phoenix in both his faces as you fall.

• edited 2013-04-25 16:08:05

Hmm, maybe I should have jumped to attack him.  That might have made the fight a lot faster.

I found it useful to stay far from it because I could then easily deal with the underlings.  Also, I had enough trouble dealing with the second boss of Oath which also had a disc attack.

Dreamcast games still trickle out at the rate of one or two every few years.

They're mostly shmups.

• Kichigai birthday!!

So, isn't the Dreamcast basically an OUYA but with actually good games? Since apparently everyone can develop for it. Man, Sega should re-release it advertising it as such.

Well, the Dreamcast uses some very old hardware, and I'm pretty sure Sega is long out of the console game.

Nice idea, though.

• edited 2013-04-26 00:32:42

I've come THIS close to beating Adventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery.

The game has a number of annoying features.  For example, you're ammo-limited for all of your weapons.  You have to kill things (which have rather inconsistent hitboxes sometimes) to get them to randomly drop ammo.  They also drop health, but very rarely.  You can apparently get extra lives by going back to old boss rooms and re-beating bosses.  This may not always work.  But what you should do is to play very, very carefully through the areas, in order to get to the boss rooms with a ton of lives on hand.

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell where the boss rooms are.  They're not even necessarily near save points.

There are multiple points in the game where you can get stuck.  You can get stuck behind one of the red switches in the water area, or if you run out of both Ghost Vision and Bombs on the path from the big multi-red-switch room to the last save point in the final area.

You can get extra lives in the game, but they are applied immediately when you die -- you don't get a choice about it.  They are basically auto-revives, like Chelsea's things in BMD/C7D.  They're great when you get to a boss fight, but to get there, you've probably wasted them already.  And there's no convenient way to reload your save if you've wasted one of your lives.

Save points don't refill your ammo or health.  In fact, it might be possible to get stuck if you're using a save point that's blocked by barriers that require ammo to dissipate, but you ran out of it and then saved.

Also you can't go back to the opening surface area after entering the ruins.  And Ghost Vision lasts for about two seconds at a time.

There are a few less-detrimental bugs too.  Occasionally you can find yourself standing on air next to a wall.  Squids can get stuck.  Sometimes when you load the game your weapon display is blank but you still have access to a weapon (and you can still cycle through them just fine, though the first thing you'll cycle to is the weak blue gun no matter what you were using, rather than continuing on to the next one you would normally cycle through).  And you can use the Ghost Vision before getting it (makes for interesting sequence breaking possibilities in the last area); you just can't refill its ammo.  Finally, the game forces a 360x240 screen (in Windows), which resizes all the windows you have open that aren't maximized.  I guess this does let you alt-tab over to the manual PDF to check the maps while you're playing, though.

Oh yeah, it comes with a manual that has maps of the areas, though I'm not sure how useful they'd be; I went through most of the game without consulting them.

Oh, and you can't change the controls at all.

I'm counting this beaten, and putting this down.  This isn't worth my time.  If I have a game as good as the Ys games, with the right atmosphere, I'll be willing to slog through difficult areas with high degrees of danger.  But not for a cartoony monkey swearing revenge on an asshole eagle.

The saving graces about this game are that it does have good aesthetics (look at all the different block designs in the third area, and how they're sometimes chessboard-tessellated with empty blocks in inaccessible locations, for example) and decent music.

TL;DR Adventure Apes and the Mayan Mystery, while it enjoys good visual style and music, has significantly flawed gameplay and requires polish.  I recommend thoroughly revising it, fixing bugs and adding various features.