If you have an email ending in @hotmail.com, @live.com or @outlook.com (or any other Microsoft-related domain), please consider changing it to another email provider; Microsoft decided to instantly block the server's IP, so emails can't be sent to these addresses.
If you use an @yahoo.com email or any related Yahoo services, they have blocked us also due to "user complaints"
-UE

Vidya Gaems General

Comments

• Be afraid. The game's love is much more dangerous than it's hate.

• Give us fire! Give us ruin! Give us our glory!

^^It's setting you up man. I got 2 Deep Dragongems from one Caedeus fight only to miss a 60% tail carve from the Agnaktor 3 times in a row.

• One foot in front of the other, every day.
    Either that, or it's finally balancing out. I had to spend an absolutely inordinate amount of time grinding for some armour sets for what ought to be far more common drops. I mean, you know the game hates you when you break all of Lagi's break points, capture him, and get four Lagiacrus scales as your break rewards. Never did end up getting the Lagi armour set; I settled on getting upgrade materials for weapons, but *still* lack regular old Lagi horns. 

^Lagi horns are the other thing I had to fight for way too many times. Seriously, that 74% drop rate is a lie.

Also, the Lagi set isn't really worth it. They kind of nerfed it from its MHTri counter part.

• Creature - Florida Dragon Turtle Human

So, quick question: What is Monster Hunter, and why is it considered so much fun?

• It's a game where you hunt monsters.  It's fun because you hunt monsters.

• OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/skyrim-is-unplayable-on-the-oculus-rift-dont-believe-the-hype

Hm. Seems some work still needs doing on figuring out how to handle menus and other text in VR games before games not designed for VR devices can be modded to work on them properly.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123431-Portable-SNES-Upgrades-Play-Famicom-Genesis-And-GBA-Games

I want this thing. That is all.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123430-New-Winter-Biome-in-Upcoming-Terraria-Update

Yes! About time Terraria updated.

> Earthbound slated for re-release in USA

> Terraria being updated

what is going on

• Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto!

It's hit or miss for some people.

It is basically a game of boss fights, where you spend time hunting for pieces and materials of armor and weapons to fight bigger monsters, a lot of them quite cool looking and hard to fight.

It is either you love it or hate it for the preparation and grinding aspect, as well as the interesting control scheme.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123446-YouTube-Video-Hints-XCom-Shooter-May-Return

It's looking like the XCOM FPS that didn't have much to do with XCOM hasn't been cancelled after all, but instead may be going through rebranding as its own IP.

Steam just had a 35-megabyte update.  Anyone know what that was all about?

• One foot in front of the other, every day.

So, quick question: What is Monster Hunter, and why is it considered so much fun?

Monster Hunter is a game of economy, preparation, and lengthy boss battles. One of its unique elements is how the missions are structured almost entirely around said boss battles; rather than waiting in an arena, any given boss monster will move around the whole mission space, which can have significant implications on the state of the fight. For instance, monsters have an exhausted state, and they'll eventually seek out food after reaching it. If you can beat them to their food source or interrupt their feeding, you can keep them tired. And there's a bunch of other stuff, like trapping, setting them up the bomb, break points, armour skills, a shitload of weapon variation and so on -- all things that can have a significant influence on the outcome. 

So it's not just about draining the boss's HP faster than they drain your HP?

• Well, technically any game with the win condition of "make the boss run out of health" and the lose condition of "run out of health" is about that at the most basic level.  But otherwise no it's not.  It's an action game with a large emphasis on tactics and planning and timing and being prepared and other such things.  Also a ton of grinding for drops, so if you don't like that kind of progression system you might be frustrated a bit but the core gameplay is fun enough that it really doesn't get boring even if you're doing the same mission over and over.

No, in fact despite all the equipment shenanigans winning ultimately comes down to player skill. The best equipment in the game and loads of healing items won't save you if you don't learn a boss's patterns or weaknesses, it just gives you a larger margin or error.

There's a rule of thumb in Monster Hunter: if you think something's impossible, someone has done it and done it faster than you can imagine.

• edited 2013-04-22 20:58:02
    One foot in front of the other, every day.

^^^ Well, you need to do that, too. But boss monsters are typically so superior to you in raw power that your HP isn't very relevant next to your ability to avoid damage in the first place. While a high armour value is good to have, armour's actual primary mechanic is providing you with skills. You could consider your equipped weapon as your "class" and your armour skills as your "build", if you like.

draining the boss's HP faster than they drain your HP?

Really, any combat-based game could be described in those terms.

• a little muffled

What about ones that don't have HP???

• edited 2013-04-22 21:03:38
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

They...don't exist.

I mean, HP may be called something else, or it may be invisible, or it may be 1, but it exists in any combat-based game.

Well, except arguably Dwarf Fortress.

• a little muffled

They...don't exist.
    Depends on how you define "HP" and "combat", I suppose, but: Super Smash Brothers.

• edited 2013-04-22 21:06:18
    OOOooooOoOoOOoo, I'm a ghoOooOooOOOost!

Hm, true. Though you could sort of argue that it has similar things in place.

• There are lots of combat-based games where reducing your enemy's health faster than your own isn't the goal.  For instance, capture-the-flag mode in an FPS.  Killing enemies will help, but it's not your objective and it doesn't directly contribute to you winning.

• a little muffled
    If anyone is interested in SolForge I just got another beta key.

I actually like the Super Smash Brothers system, designed around how damaged you are, as opposed to how much health you have left. Basically, the percentage of chance that you will die from the next hit.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Except most skilled players stay on way past 100%.

Realized that right after I posted it. Thei dea is still really good.

So, I thought I wouldn't have enough money to pick up Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen when it comes out tomorrow, but I had just enough when I traded in Far Cry 3 today.

I was gonna get the original Dragon's Dogma three months ago, but I was told that this new one includes the original game, so I decided to wait. Reading up on Neogaf all the changes, and it seems like a really nice re-release.

So it's a mark of skill...which is kinda makes sense in a fighting game.

• "I will grant you two wishes; one for each testicle."

Not necessarily.

Maintaining control past 100% - not very hard (unless you're like Kirby or Game-and-Watch).

Staying on past the 200s and 300s? That takes some damn skill.

• You can change. You can.

I've managed to stay until 400% with Lucario on Brawl. Shame about his aura thing not growing in power after 128%, though.

• I told you a hundred times Seibah, I don't want you in my pool

Final Fantasy 2 is really weird. Have it on my phone to kill time. I've managed to break the early game by having my party members attack each other until they have a thousand HP, so they can go to Fynn and kill the supposed to be unkillable captains to get really high level gear.

Its intelligence potions in Morrowind all over again.